+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Those who can't spell, Teach in General; I'm sorry but whatever you're taught and at whatever level, being taught that you can find out is key. I ...
    Thank Post
    I'm sorry but whatever you're taught and at whatever level, being taught that you can find out is key.
    I don't know the spelling of a word I find out, it's simple. Online, dictionary, thesaurus, however you can, you do it!
    Grr makes me mad that I can't just do a teaching course and become qualified (after 2 years experience teaching) when these so called 'graduates' get away with being crap at the very thing they should be promoting, correct spelling and grammar.

Thank Post
    I've just had a teacher wanting help with printing his display material. It was in a folder named "desplay". He seemed oblivious to the poor spelling...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apoth0r View Post
    I'm sorry but whatever you're taught and at whatever level, being taught that you can find out is key.
    I don't know the spelling of a word I find out, it's simple. Online, dictionary, thesaurus, however you can, you do it!

Trouble is, if you don't know that you can't spell it then you don't know you need to look it up - there are lots of people who think that they can spell so don't check because they "know" the correct spelling.

I suspect that LeMarchand's teacher with "desplay" thinks he has it right; I'm sure that most people who put "of" when then should put "have" think they have it right and when you get into words like "there" and "their", pretty much all bets are off!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    I suspect that LeMarchand's teacher with "desplay" thinks he has it right
    You're probably right, but I think the point is that teachers are supposed to be passing on knowledge. How can they do that if they don't have the knowledge themselves?

I think a lot of the problem is that reading books for pleasure isn't something that a lot of people do. I'm convinced that well-read people have better spelling, as they see the words spelled correctly more frequently (though I have come across the odd howler in a book).

I have never heard a literary discussion in any of my staffrooms ...

Thank Post
    I've thought this since I left school many moons ago.

When I left school I was ok at speller and I still am, not a great 'speller'. When I see many of the young teachers entering the profession now they make me look like a pro. (I blame auto-correct for my lack of progress - I make the same mistakes over and over again!)

The requirements to teaching have dropped a lot since I entered. People with micky-mouse degrees that they got off the back of a cornflakes packet are flooding into the profession. Perhaps the solution is to adopt American English as standard and not bother with the grammar?

Thank Post
    Hi.
    I am new here. This will be my second post.
    While aye aint the bestest speeler, I do use spell check - usually even to read my girlfriend's email! Fortunately for her, I have found someone far far worse.
    If the attachment doesn't stick, I will post a link to the original thread from another forum about motorcycles.
    The attachment I am attempting is a copy of the thread, with everyone else's comments removed, and no names.

Enjoy the read, be careful of the Drain-Bamage!

Steve

---------------

These text clips are one user from a thread on the Maxim forum. Just one user, all the other replies were skipped for this nightmare.
    It really may be easier to read with a blindfold on, or simply poking your eyes out.
    I did remove one other users nick from this text since it was also flagged by the spell check.
    WARNING READING THE FOLLOWING MAY CAUSE (more) BRAIN DAMAGE!

Hello agin all i havent posted on the board in a long time. how ever i said i was going to turbocharged a maxim and now i think i have the mijority of the parts i need and ideas in note books laying around to get the job done i just want to check with every one els to see if so far im on the right track

so here's a list of parts ill need and some i have let me know if u think im for getting somting or somting that might help.

Pressurized carbs
    fule pump
    fule presure regulator
    upgraded generator stator
    spare exaust manifold and pipeing
    pluming to get the boosted air to a pressurized air box
    new air intake tube for turbo and non pressurized air box
    heat treated crankshaft
    stronger pistion's
    stronger connecting rods

outher things i have put into the equasion is the added heat im not looking at runn much more than 6lbs of boost on only at motor speeds over 2,800rpm's so i dont think that it will effect the cooling at idel that much or at slow speeds.

how ever i had also been advised to port out the exaust on the head and get a cam with more exaust lift or more duration to get the exaust out quicker and to run a more free flowing exaust.

Agin this is just the engine aspect of it brakes will be up graded as will rear syspension and rear axle gear and transmission parts and clutch.

just want to know if any budy els thinks im missing somting becides the cost aspect because i have done the math for it and it shouldent cost me more than $1,500.

why do it to this bike you might respond over buying somting faster i want somthing i built and can take to bike show's

so im open for more imput and critisum if that what u want to give me.

any one who wan's to see finished photos get back to me in 3 or 4 months as i'm picking up the bike and parts in the next 2 weekends

to answer the first question low-1-5-0 if you ran an un intercooled turbo the air intake temp would be around 160-290F tempature or so i am told and have red to under stand so i think on an air cooled motor and for mpg rating i might want to run an intercooler so that is the rought i plan on going.

to answer the seckond one i wouldent haf to lower the compression if i wasent going to run much boost but then i still run the risk of breaking the crank so im going to heat treat the crankshaft and connecting rods and leave the compression the same and run lo-boost to start off with. all though i could lower the compression but i would loose power to so ill run the same compression and less boost.

for the third question i,m going to a junk yard finding any turbo off a motor and rebuilding it since i dont need to run much boost for the risk of it cracking the crankshaft

for the fourth question i wont need to upgrade any ignition components but i will be putting a m.s.d box on it (m.s.d=mutiple spark dristuribtor) if i can get it to work there not a easy thing to try to hook up for somting it's not ment for.

as for the photos yes i do plan on taking pictures of every part i add to make the turbo modifaction. my biggiest thing is i wont post any thing till i have finished so that i know it works (as in i know it will work but i dono if the cran and parts will stand up to it) then if it stands up to a around town ride and a 1,000 mile ride i will tare it apart and check the crank for stress ware marks and fractures.

then i would love if it holds up to post every thing with pics and how and why i did the steps i did.

i will get back when i start the project in the shop how ever i wont be starting the tare down and rebuild till the end of march i reading up on every thing i can before i start this so i can know if i should do somting and make sure im not missing any thing

i am glad to have the input thanks could you give me some more knolage on the subject why would i need to retard the spark? for the shorter falve timing im kinda lost two. i do plan on porting the exaust and intake and running bigger valves but wont know how big till i tare the head off.

and a race engine builder that i know said to grind down the intake side of the cam to equal limits so that it dident over lap the exaust closing to much as to not throw out to much of the pressurized air fule mixture.

i think that's a cure for the same thing your talking about the cam timing he said i would loose power out of doing it but since it's being boosted all it would make me do is run more boost but it would be more efficent (i dono if i spelt that right)

he said that if it was a dual over head cam i could just retard the intake opening but then i run the risk of the intake not being closed when it ignites. he said i could retard the ignition to to fix that but then im not building the the compression that i could be to. so he said to get the mic out and grind away at the intake valve at the right spot.

so i think that is kinda the the same thing your talking about if not let me know. i would like as much input as i can get

also for the cam grinding will be done with sand paper and a mic i could do it on a lath but he said not much would need to be taken off and i would have to change the angle on the valve as well for the curve differance.

please do give me more info any thing will help

yes i do plan on heat treating all the transmission parts and motorparts. how ever i have not been warned about the fact of it burning faster i never relly thought of it thanks for the info that is why im delaying on doing this for more info. So in the matter of retarding the spark do u think that i should get a seca 650 spark disturbuting system would be sucfficent or would their be an easyer rought as the motor head that iv talked to talked about putting a MSD type box for the ignition

maby that's why he dident mention it because he would change it with that perhaps. he had also said a stronger spark would be needed to get a good arc on the spark plugs.

for heat treating he siad he would show me how to do it and let me do it to as menny parts as i wanted.

for the mechanical knolage iv got plenty of that but but this will be the first turbo modification or i guess blowen mod iv done

You probably have signs of a concussion now – eyes and ears bleeding…

If you really want to read the whole thread:
    http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/p=61268.html

Of course from there, you can view the “writer’s” profile and connect to all of his threads.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jeepsteve92xj; 31st October 2008 at 07:24 PM. Reason: I was going to remove the attachement - And now I've pasted the whole thing into the post. enjoy

Thank Post
    Those who can't spell, Teach-photo.jpg

I had to sign up just to share this gem! Good grief...

EDIT: I didn't realise how old this post was, my bad. *blush*
    Last edited by thgsmith; 29th November 2011 at 05:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thgsmith View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	585.3 KB 
ID:	12299

I had to sign up just to share this gem! Good grief...

EDIT: I didn't realise how old this post was, my bad. *blush*

You'd better come and join us! Pedantic Geeks | Edugeek Groups

Thank Post
    It must be a sign of slipping standards that I'm not at all shocked by this... I would consider the words in that test to be "harder" to spell (in that some have vaguely tricky to remember double letter sequences) than some of the trivially easy to spell words which people seem to trip up over all the time.

Thank Post
    This was on a lamp post near us when the road was being resurfaced (although I doubt a teacher wrote it - but you never know...)
    Those who can't spell, Teach-img_0290-1-.jpg

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123