+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Difficult Staff Members in General; Originally Posted by dhicks Am I the only one that sees IanT's avatar and mentally reads the post in Dr. ...
    @ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Am I the only one that sees IanT's avatar and mentally reads the post in Dr. Mike's voice?

Everybody: Hi IanT!

Probably quite understandably - no one likes feeling they're being ordered around all day. We aren't the military, this isn't a life-or-death situation, we can all afford to take things a bit easier. Instead of phrasing tasks as an order ("Hey! Do Foo!"), get the chap in question to feel like you're at least asking his opinion ("What do you think, Foo first, or is Bar more important?").

--
    David Hicks
    One thing I have gone when speaking to him via email is his opinon on things, do you agree with this and that etc

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IanT View Post
    SMT who is working closer there atm.

In other words a teacher, instructing a technician...

Sounds like the recipe for a personality clash to me.

We've all experienced teachers who know our job better than we do (allegedly)... some of them word it better than others.

Give the guy a chance. He's probably been praying for your arrival!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    In other words a teacher, instructing a technician...

Sounds like the recipe for a personality clash to me.

We've all experienced teachers who know our job better than we do (allegedly)... some of them word it better than others.

Give the guy a chance. He's probably been praying for your arrival!
    No its a Member from teh SMT, not a teacher.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    No its a Member from teh SMT, not a teacher.
    The other staff can be just as bad if they're not technical.

I'm building myself up for a polite argument (followed by a Red Door post, probably) with a parent who thinks he can run our email system for us... "you just need any old PC" * groan *

Thank Post
    lol .

Thank Post
    No its a Member from the SMT, not a teacher.
    Ah. Then simply knowing more than them generally works. If you can explain to them, in detail, why you want stuff done in a particular way then there's not really any argument - you can hopefully both see which is the best and/or only route that needs to be taken. Generally, most everything simply boils down to money, anyway - most of the problems we deal with day-to-day can generally be fixed by throwing stacks of cash at them, it's just that we have to figure out the most sensible compromise for the budget that we have.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    I would agree with those who say give it a week or two to see how things all work, what procedures are etc before going in and making changes. And, if at all possible, discuss it with the others before insisting upon it. As a tech I'd prefer to be asked "I'm thinking of changing the procedure to *this*, what do you think?" rather than told "We're doing it this way".

Personally I won't get snotty if I'm told what to do - ultimately the NM is my line manager and if he makes a reasonable request, I'm pretty much obliged to do it.

Of course, if the NM does ask me to do such a job, and there's a good reason - eg there's something else which needs to be done urgently, or I'm halfway through a job, I'll explain this and usually continue and do it later. But, ultimately, since the NM is in charge of the "team" it's for him to decide who does what - if this ends up upsetting teachers then so be it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by helldeskchap View Post
    I would agree with those who say give it a week or two to see how things all work, what procedures are etc before going in and making changes. And, if at all possible, discuss it with the others before insisting upon it. As a tech I'd prefer to be asked "I'm thinking of changing the procedure to *this*, what do you think?" rather than told "We're doing it this way".

Personally I won't get snotty if I'm told what to do - ultimately the NM is my line manager and if he makes a reasonable request, I'm pretty much obliged to do it.

Of course, if the NM does ask me to do such a job, and there's a good reason - eg there's something else which needs to be done urgently, or I'm halfway through a job, I'll explain this and usually continue and do it later. But, ultimately, since the NM is in charge of the "team" it's for him to decide who does what - if this ends up upsetting teachers then so be it.
    Agreed, I will get back to you guys after a week and see how things are.

Thanks,

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    I've found the best way is to be understaffed. That way you're all too busy to get into a strop about anything!
    Or become less productive due to increased stress and decreased morale...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,630 Posts
    Or even better: be understaffed, and alone - so there's no time to get stroppy and no one to get stroppy with!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Or even better: be understaffed, and alone - so there's no time to get stroppy and no one to get stroppy with!
    You need a second personality, never be alone again. Easy to maintain plus allowing you to ignore people while still being poite*.

*Only available on sociable models. Other models my differ

Thank Post
    Give them the old Glengarry Glen Ross speech
    <Warning contains strong language>

YouTube - Glen Gary Glen Ross Monologue - Alec Baldwin

Blake: We're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anybody want to see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.
    ABC - AIDA!
    Last edited by somabc; 23rd October 2008 at 12:32 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post

People only fall down when pushed.
    You sir, have clearly never been drunk!

Thank Post
    Being an older kind of guy, and been managing technical stuff for a loooooonnnnnggggg time, I have developed a way of working that might help.

1) Allways treat the person you want to get to do something as you would like to be treated by your boss.
    2) Listen if they have valuable feedback, and let them know that if they have a complaint they must allways have a solution to go a long with it. This gets rid of complaining for no good reason.
    3) Ask then nicely once, ask them again (if they fail to do it the first time), and finally tell them, politely, but firmly.

If they don't do it after the telling, then look at addressing the behaviour (not the person) either using a quiet word in their shellike, or a more formal disciplinary approach, if the behaviour continues.

Hope this helps. Rick

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Ian,

My best piece of advice to you is to initially watch from the peripherary and see how the team "works" as is, rather than try to get involved. Watch how things are for a week at least and then sit down with each member of the team; discuss their views on the team as a whole, their strengths, their weaknesses etc and how they value their role in the team.

Then, once you're grounded in, you can stress that whilst you aren't out to rock the boat you have ideas and plans to help further build the team and procedure forward. Be open to criticism as you'll likely get some from those hard stuck in their old ways but you need to put up with that unfortunately.

I'm sure you'll be fine, but whomever it was who told you PRIOR to starting a job that you have a difficult team member should be ashamed as that's just unprofessional when a new line manager is coming in to have false expectations.

Also, given your name is here, if the member of the team reads this forum, how are they going to feel?
    Exactly how I managed my team, it has worked wonders.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12