+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Dealing Students & Other Staff Split From Students and N in General; ok here is my view on it all.. The telling off of students I do and have always been encourged ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Students and Network Cables

ok here is my view on it all..

The telling off of students I do and have always been encourged by school to do so from keeping them in at lunch or break to filling in bad news slips to giving out lines....

I think it is important that support staff do have backing to disclpine the students as it helps to been seen as equal memeber of staff both by students and staff...

As for not being contactable in some ways can be burden if they cna contact you and in some ways not..

What I would suggest if getting rubbish from not being able to contact you say get me a radio or mobile... or have answer phone and leave regular updates like 'I am currrent away in science and design please leave message etc etc' then make sure you can dail in and chanage the message from other phones if you move on..

As for staff being demanding the trcik here is when you start a job if get a staff member who comes up to you and say this needs doing NOW and you know that there is a more important job to do explain calmly that this job nees to be done and why but make sure you are loud enought for other staff to hear...

Will amaze you have word get around that you will not be ordered about...

I had amt member come up to me in staff room at 2:30 and said want this is done now first time had sat down had anything to drink or eat since 8 oclick due to network going down and it was still down .... and told her that more improtant things that that has we have got problems with network being down and so answer is no will sort it tommrow...

she only tried it once more and that was when we had told or staff not to bother me that day as doing something very important and everything had to wait.. came and wanted pictures downloading again told her that this is more important and if she wants to do it herself she can otherwise it would get done tommrow..

suprisply got a well done from head over way i handle that last one...

so be firm and if else fails and they say i'm smt you do as i say then tell them that you answer to two peopple heard and your line manager go and see them..

sayaing that i ahve said no to head as well...

Be firm and remeber you are profestional...

Russ

Thank Post

@Russ: Not saying that you shouldn't let the staff know what you are doing - indeed, I try my best. Some just don't want to listen.

I've mentioned before, I am going to be able to implemement my own system of being contacted from September and staff will be told that the ONLY way that requests can be made is through the specified channels.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@ric yes was aware of that was saying at least if you leave it on answer phone then people will have an idea of contacting you and yes making sure there are clear guidelines to as how they can contact you is good as well.

russ

Thank Post

@Ric_ Perhaps this topic needs splitting. It has nothing to do with Network Cables now!

@Tarquel - Dump the phone mate. Get them to buy you a pay as you go and they foot the bills. Or claim the calls back and they will soon realise it's costing far to much for them. I'm luck/unlucky here in that I've got a radio, mobile and desk phone with answer machine. Can be a pain at times.

I agree with Russ, it's your computers systems and hardware as such. You are the one fixing it all the time because the staff can't be bothered. I'm also encouraged to bite when needed. It does work for a while, but don't do it in front of the students, in provate is far better and I find more appreciated.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Dealing Students & Other Staff Split From Students a

it has now been split..

russ

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    it has now been split..

russ
    Ah - was gonna beat you to it [splitting topic] - only I'm not a mod on that board lol (i think :S)

@Tarquel - Dump the phone mate. Get them to buy you a pay as you go and they foot the bills. Or claim the calls back and they will soon realise it's costing far to much for them. I'm luck/unlucky here in that I've got a radio, mobile and desk phone with answer machine. Can be a pain at times.
    lol I'm not dumping my phone! lol :P

Dont worry - I dont make outgoing calls for work or anything lol But it dont cost me to receive calls naturally. Just a few txt's here and there

Nath.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Contacting me is an issue I've raised with the head - especially as I have so much work now and can't always around to help with class problems. I said staff would think the worse of me and they do.

I was given a radio [which I constantly forget to take with me or leave somewhere 'coz the clips are all broken off]. Only a few use my mobile number - i've never had to call voicemail to school staff but to suppliers - yes. An anwerphone would be seen by staff as a long term fix solution. What they need is a quick instant contact for quick little problems.

An online help desk system would help for the longer term jobs - I hate paper based job lists - they just don't work for me. Hopefully soon i'll get something up and running for this.

I've just seen generic job descriptions for tech staf at our sch. and it says to descipline students quite clearly. I agree with Ric_ - it realy helps 'coz kids seeing you as a teacher with no power is a lot worse for you. Beter to get in there and assert your position - kids only take advantage of weaknesses as is thier nature.

Thank Post

No. Do not get involved with discipline. If a kid directly, personally insults you, that's one thing; otherwise stay aloof. It is part of a teacher's training to administer discipline according to school policy; it's not yours. What YOU do is to enable and secure the use of ICT in teaching and learning. If indiscipline of the students compromises that, then hold the teachers to task - that is what they are paid for, that is why they get all those weeks of paid leave. It AIN'T your job ...

Thank Post

@ssimstar: I think what we all meant was, if you see a kid throwing a mouse across the room or about to snap a monitor off its stand, you should do something. If you see this happening, the teacher is obviously not in control of the situation.

I don't intend to make it my job to go finding the little... just say something when it is necessary.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

agree with ric over this one you should always be a part of school disipline otherwise you will not be seen as staff member...

in fact it is a question i ask in interviews "what is procedure if i have a problem with student for example they swore at me' it gives me a an idea on how much support staff are intergrated into school life...

Also remeber that teacher are not paid to disipline students they are paid to teach a big difference...

Rus

Thank Post

I have to disagree I'm afraid. Whilst its true that teachers are paid to teach, they are also in loco parentis. That is indisputedly part of their job. They ARE paid to enforce discipline. ALL schools have an institutional discipline policy. Sure, if I see a student is abusing the equipment, I will make my disapproval known, but general discipline is not my job. I don't know what you're doing wrong, but I've never had any problems with lack of respect from students. Maybe it's because I look a bit scary...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@ssimstar - they don;t only try it once and i come down on them like a ton of bricks...

No the school and its staff are in loco parentis so support staff are included in that...

So if you saw someone fighting what would you do...

What if student running around school not in lessons what would you do? if nothing then you are in trouble as you have a duty as staff member to find out why the student is not is lessons...

Sorry but people want equal pay and conditions then you have to be prepared to muck in...

russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

You will find that in most schools all staff within a school are in loco parentis and we all have duty to look after them.

However, there is a difference between a teacher looking after a class and a techie following school disciplinary procedures.

As long as there are disciplinary guidelines in place then all staff should both give and receive the support of other staff. Again ... this is just another of making teachers recognise techies as a crucial part of the school.

Thank Post

hmmmm looks like mixed views here.

I cant say for sure what the teachers these days should be doing regarding discipline - only that I wish they would have "some" control on the pupils they teach.

I thought this would be in their training surely lol

Maybe its another role they aren't allowed to do anymore (joking btw)

Whether we can or cant shouldnt matter - its whether we should have to do it is more the point lol

Cheers
    Nath

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

A better disciplined school makes for an easier time for ALL staff.

I have a problem i'd like to relate. I have 2 small children, aged 2 and 4. Out and about town, because unlike teachers I can't afford to work far away from where I live, I get to meet school kids all the time. The vast majority of kids are great, and the talk is friendly. Some teenagers tho', think bucking the system in any form it might take is cool.

I was on a local train, just me and my two kids, and we were surrounded by some lads. They were calling me names and I suspect they were gesturing and mouthing things to my kids out of my sight.
    I really had to stay calm, 'coz I could imaginine myself exploding.

This is the thing, unlike teachers, we are not working at schools because we have an interest OR the aptitude to manage school kids, and we're really out of the loop when it comes to discipline and disciplinary procedures.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast