+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, How do you run your helpdesk? in General; Originally Posted by AngryTechnician which saves the teachers sending their usual 3 kids trapsing off across the school for a ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    which saves the teachers sending their usual 3 kids trapsing off across the school for a password reset.
    Our ICT Teachers have a MMC console that allows them to reset passwords in the Students OU in Active Directory.

Saves a lot of work

Thank Post
    Ours did have, but deemed it too hard. So I wrote a script to do it for them. All they do is get kiddies in question to type in their login name into the box and press enter - resets to 123456, and unlocks their accounts. Much quicker than our old MMC console, and pretty teacherproof..

Thank Post
    I would have my iPhone on exchange push but i can't get the damn thing to work

Thank Post
    Intranet based help desk (in case our reliable internet service goes down!), they can come and get me if it's urgent or can ask the office to radio me.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic View Post
    I would have my iPhone on exchange push but i can't get the damn thing to work

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markman View Post
    IP phones in ICT suites, mmm! Interesting idea. That would be a possibility, if they didn't get nicked that would be a great idea.
    go for a soft phone? Much less to steal with that :-)

Thank Post
    Softphones are all very well and good but then you've got to make sure that the headsets don't go walkabouts or get vandalised.

@tech_guy....who you calling a troll!

Thank Post
    All jobs have to be e-mailed to helpdesk from which a works number is produced and e-mailed back to you, the rule is quite simple if you dont have a works number the work doesnt get done, this includes password resets and the NM is very strict on this.

have to say on the whole it works well and i have no complaints with the system and as long as it is used correctly the problems are resolved quite quickly.

Dean

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markman View Post
    IP phones in ICT suites, mmm! Interesting idea. That would be a possibility, if they didn't get nicked that would be a great idea.
    We find that the locking wall mounts help with that little problem.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have two systems....

1. Yellow forms - which teachers can fill in and put in my pidgeon hole for non-emergency stuff. These then get dealt with by myself and passed onto the technicians to deal with

2. 'Dial 300' - on our phone system staff can dial 300 and it gets forwarded to one of the technicians mobile phones.

GJE

Thank Post
    I can recommend GLPI been a success @ my school.

More than a helpdesk too! Asset management, knowledge base etc.

Can talk to Active Directory for auth so no new login credentials to remember.

I run it on a former curriculum server. Ununtu server edition is the OS.

Thank Post
    We handle helpdesk availability in a few ways. First our helpdesk system, Web HelpDesk Software : bigWebDesk, will send an email to the assigned technician when a new ticket has been entered. Technicians then receive a page on their cell phone that they have a new work request. From any web browser they can access the help desk system and decide what action to take regardless of their location.

We also publish a number to staff as the primary contact for the help desk. What the staff doesn't know is that number is always forwarded to a cell phone that is designated as the help desk phone. If for some reason the help desk technician needs to be away and can not cover the cell phone then the phone is simply passed to the next available person.

So far its been a pretty solid system for us. Of course the center and primary reason for success being the help desk software itself. We have had other help desk software in the past but bigWebDesk has really changed how we communicate with the end user. Hope that helps and good luck.

Thank Post
    We use the Sharepoint Services IT Team Workspace to run an internal logging and knowledgebase system but let staff report problems by email \ phone \ knock on the door \ grab us in the corridor as they're happier doing it this way than another IT based system.

Works really well (now officially a SharePoint fanboy as a result ) plus the categories we set up show repeating patterns and the knowledgebase is a dream for those of us with fading short term memories

Personally anything that involves call reference numbers and anything along those lines I don't like to use as it removes the "personal touch" we try to give to our service... try to keep users individual and they end up a lot happier as a result

Thank Post
    We attempt to have someone in the office all the time, which isn't too much of an issue as there is usually someone in there anyway.

They can also call the office, radio us (in emergencies) or email a list which sends it to all of us. (Though some staff still email it to their 'favourite' technician, which generally means it takes far longer to get resolved).

Thank Post
    All emails sent to ict-support are made into tickets on the web-based helpdesk (kayako). Every classroom has a phone in it and we carry radios (Vertex Standard VX-230s), plenty of people still prefer to just come to us which is no problem.

We have a 52" plasma in the office that displays a list of tickets when it's not being used for other things.
    Last edited by OllieC; 24th July 2009 at 10:32 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast