General Chat Thread, What have YOU implemented? in General; Just a quick question (with a possible lengthy reply).
"What have you implemented at your school since you started?"
20th October 2008, 09:39 AM #1
What have YOU implemented?
Just a quick question (with a possible lengthy reply).
"What have you implemented at your school since you started?"
Just looking for answers such as:
::: Zimbra email system
::: Upgrade to 2003/08 servers
::: CC3 --> CC4
That kind of stuff as well as anything that's out of the ordinary i.e.
::: Digital Video Vault etc
IDG Tech News
20th October 2008, 09:45 AM #2
Well since I started as an ICT Teacher in 1998 before the days of technicians (and even now in the days of technicians)...
Originally Posted by Hightower
1. Upgrade of RM Connect Foundation through it's versions to CC3
2. Nightmare of an install with SR4 on CC3
3. Complete new network after leaving RM
4. Installation of a RIS Server (with technician)
I'm sure there is more, but cannot remember the past 10 minutes never mind 10 years.
20th October 2008, 10:24 AM #3
-> 3 - 5 year budget plan
-> low cost printing systems
-> replacement of 15 different machine types for 2 or 3 at most
-> RIS & GPO OS/software deployment
-> user accounts for every child
-> automated archiving and organisation of childrens work through AD & login script system
... the list is long...
20th October 2008, 11:35 AM #4
Well i'll start with a network.... then everything that goes with that....
20th October 2008, 11:40 AM #5
2 x Mac Suites
20th October 2008, 01:23 PM #6
- Rep Power
- Creating an updating improved school website
- Removing old computers running Windows 98
- Replacing them with custom built PC's made by myself running Windows XP
- User accounts for each member of staff.
- User accounts for pupils year 1 to year 6.
- Removing old server running Windows Server 2000
- Replacing with server running Windows 2003
- Implementing a Service Desk for submitting and tracking requests
- Implementing a support blog to keep staff up to date regarding whole school issues
All I can think of at the moment
20th October 2008, 01:36 PM #7
Developed school intranet from scratch.
Switched over to a totally new network including massive amounts of new XP clients.
Added a new wireless system to the school.
New email system (Exchange) plus email for everyone on (and off!!) site.
Installed IWB's to every classroom.
Implemented loads of admin tools including mass-logon, shutdown, remote controllers, user tracking e.t.c.
Set up a Creative Technology Suite including a large steroscopic display, 30 laptops, 19 clients and video conferencing kit.
Obvious stuff like a user account for everyone on-site, upgrading stuff e.t.c.
Definitely WAY more than this, don't have enough time to list EVERYTHING!
20th October 2008, 03:05 PM #8
Linking 2 buildings together w/h fibre optic
Setup of all equipment from scratch
Installation of 2 servers
Setup of 2 more servers
Move admin from a workstation server to proper server
Update all equipment that was 7 years old (everything!!)
Get printers available to all staff
List goes on and on!!
20th October 2008, 08:16 PM #9
- Upgraded Client OS - Windows 95 > 98 > 2000 > XP;
- Upgraded Server OS - Windows NT 4 > 2000 > 2003;
- Introduced Group Policies, etc etc, and this stopped all the games;
- Managed rollout of Site-wide Wireless;
- Managed rollout of Data-Projectors to all classrooms - took responsibility for data projectors when AV tech moved on;
- Upgraded Fibre backbone from 10mbit > 100mbit > (some 1gbit);
- Replaced all Hubs with switches, am still upgrading to Managed Switches;
- Introduced the concept of site-wide Anti-virus/ Anti-Spyware - Installed it
- Upgraded Mailserver, and contracted maintenance support, gave all staff proper/standardised emails, gave students email addresses too;
- Introduced procedure for adding new staff (with DH) - we still need to develop a leaving one mind;
- Installed various site-wide software for education, typically: QCA KS3 testing, UCAS EAS;
- Introduced relevant security to the shared drives;
- Automated new user creation;
- Backed up servers, and created a policy to continue;
- Increased storage on main user file server from 4*9gb > 4*18gb > 4*36gb > 8*147gb (never again) [all RAID5];
Off the top of my head.
Oh, and increased the dept from me plus two Teachers to 3 plus one Teacher.
20th October 2008, 10:00 PM #10
Since I started in June? Every server virtualised; nagios-type printer monitoring; one-touch deployment process; and probably a lot more that I can't think about while I'm on holiay.
20th October 2008, 10:10 PM #11
NT4 server > 2003 > currently implementing 2008
Managed Wireless rollout
NT workstation > 2000 > xp > now part Vista (yeh I braved it!!)
Exchange Server with e-mail for all staff and sixth form - soon to be all pupils
All I can think of at the moment, must be more I've been here 6 years!
20th October 2008, 11:32 PM #12
- Set up linux proxy server (suse, then ipcop)
- Set up linux email server (postfix+imap+squirrelmail) with remote access
- Set up linux file servers (centos)
- Developed web-based intranet with helpdesk
- Developed website
- Wake-on-LAN schedule (custom) and auto-shutdown (CC3)
- Developed a web-based room booking system
- Implemented a wiki and knowledge base
- Developed internet and email on/off button teacher tools for lesson control in ICT suites
- Implemented remote desktop viewing/control tool for teachers in ICT suites
- Upgraded email server to Zimbra (and developed single sign-on/preauth launcher)
On a whole and as a team (mainly bossman & I), we have moved from RM 2.4, installed a 10gig fibre backbone and loaded it full of Cisco switches, implemented and managed RM CC3, kitted out all rooms with Promethean IWBs and trained staff on the use of them, created 5+ cross-curriculum ICT suites with mono/colour laser printers, migrated from separate admin/curric networks to one single platform, a helpdesk, atleast one PC per classroom (no laptops for IWBs), electronic registration (SIMS Lesson Register), upgrade hardwares etc etc...
Last edited by webman; 21st October 2008 at 12:09 AM.
21st October 2008, 12:00 AM #13
- Extended the network to cover most of the school
- Implemented proper network security
- Upgraded all computers to Windows XP
- Gutted & rebuilt the ICT suite
- Replaced the reporting systems using MS Word/Excel with PHP/mySQL
- Replaced old pupil database
- Migrated to OpenOffice & Open Document
- Installed Ubuntu on all computers used by the children
- Migrated servers from Windows 2000 Server to Ubuntu or Debian with LDAP, Samba, Apache etc.
- Replaced SurfControl with Squid/SquidGuard
- Implemented FTP access to home directories
21st October 2008, 12:16 AM #14
* Set up school website, including school shop
* Set up school intranet site
* Set up helpdesk (glpi, then RT)
* Set up MRBS
* Set up Nagios, Cacti and OCS-NG
* Set up Asterisk server + 40ish extensions
* Wrote a phonebook for above, including pulling details from SIMS.net
* Increased computer count in school from 150 computers to around 290
* Introduced ABTutor control
* Replaced all unmanaged switches with HP 2600 series managed switches, including switching to a 1Gbps backbone infrastructure.
* Introduced device authentication (mac based) using IAS (radius) and AD
* Introduced wireless in certain places around the site
* Replaced wireless PTP system for 2 of our huts with fibre
* Introduced electronic displays in our foyer, year 5 block and outside our canteen.
* Introduced a citrix based thin client system in one suite, and just recently for 8 admin machines
* Oversaw the relocation of the network core and server placement to a new room with A/C.
* Introduced 7 mac's and a os x server (on a mac mini) to provide network authentication
* Introduced the concept of producing cd's en-mass in school (such as a prospectus cd) and purchased a robotic duplicator to do this.
* Introduced staff proximity ID cards, produced in house (paxton door system).
* Planned, and oversaw the movement of 1 ict suite to a new room, and 2 other suites being completely refurbished.
* Replaced most of our cabinets to fit larger switching gear.
* Implemented video conferencing with our feeder first schools (on going, final stages)
There's probably more. I've been in post for 2 years 4 months.
21st October 2008, 09:31 AM #15
Nothing apart from having a Cisco wireless solution installed.
IT manager to scared of change.
All my time spent fire fighting and moving data around.
Driving me round the bend.
Anyone got a job?
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)