+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, How often do you lose your temper in General; The network manager at my school regularly loses his temper and shouts at daft teachers. He has quite a short ...

Thank Post

How often do you lose your temper

The network manager at my school regularly loses his temper and shouts at daft teachers. He has quite a short fuse. Where as I am completely the opposite. It takes a hell of a lot to make me lose my temper and I have only been made really angry once in 18 months. Dim teachers don't make angry, although teachers who totally basic lack manners do.

Where do you think the balance lies between being patient and not allowing dim teachers to take the p***?
    Last edited by witch; 20th March 2010 at 11:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Never lost my temper with anyone at work. There have been a couple of occasions when my frustration with the situation has shown a tiny bit in the tone of my voice, but that is all.

Thank Post

Walk away, sarcasm, baffle them.......

As a break off I use "I have another job that is very urgent that has been reported on the Helpdesk, I will get back to this as soon as I can and will notify you of its progress and if you can log it onto the helpdesk that would be great....followed by a cheesey smile and a nod of the head" then I wander off before any one has chance to answer.

That way it gets me out of a stressful situation if needed and I can come back to the problem when said Teacher has moved on letting me get the job done a lot quicker.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by frances View Post
    The network manager at my school regularly loses his temper and shouts at daft teachers. He has quite a short fuse. Where as I am completely the opposite. It takes a hell of a lot to make me lose my temper and I have only been made really angry once in 18 months. Dim teachers don't make angry, although teachers who totally basic lack manners do.

Where do you think the balance lies between being patient and not allowing dim teachers to take the p***?
    He shouts at teachers ?! I like this guy already.
    Last edited by witch; 20th March 2010 at 11:41 PM.

Thank Post
    I make a point of not loosing my temper at work. I'm employed as a professional and thus display a professional manner at all times. (How Cliché does that answer sound) If something gets on my nerves, I will normally walk away calmly from the situation then come back a little later and talk to the person involved and explain why whatever situation it was annoyed me and the reasons why.

The worst time I had to bite my lip was when the head of IT at a previous school started laying into me about how poor the system was in front of a class of year 11 students. I'm sure he was just trying to provoke a reaction, but he didn't get it and ended up having to apologise about the whole incident after the headteacher got to hear about it. Loosing your temper just gets you no where, and In My Opinion if you are inclined to do so, then you're really in the wrong job!

Mike.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yabbadabba View Post
    "I have another job that is very urgent that has been reported on the Helpdesk, I will get back to this as soon as I can and will notify you of its progress and if you can log it onto the helpdesk that would be great....followed by a cheesey smile and a nod of the head"
    why don't you just shout at them..

Thank Post

RE: why don't you just shout at them..

Well we all have bad days, I can understand why teachers get upset sometimes when in front of a class of 30 pupils the lesson starts to go horribly wrong because of an IT fault.

But....the fact they get upset and dont have a backup plan is unprofessional, me acting in a equally unprofessional manner would not resolve the issue or be a good example for the pupils or any one who enters the room while the argument/heated discussion is taking place.

In the past I have had to take far more abuse from corporate customers than a teacher could ever be capable of, that helps alot

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,625 Posts
    I do my very best not to... but occasionally, I fear it must be obvious that I'm starting to feel a little irritated. I'm only human, fortunately that are sympathetic EduGeek ears when it gets too much!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've only got angry once or twice in the last couple of years - and those were during extreme stress situations (ie. servers being down, and me trying to get them back up). On only one of those occasions did I actually snap at someone though - and i promptly apologised once I had solved the issue.

If a teacher laid into me in front of a class, i'd request they come outside and talk to me, if they don't, i'd just leave and inform the head of their behaviour. One of the golden rules in education is that our behaviour is reflected in the behaviour of the kids. If we behave like stroppy kids, then the kids will act like stroppy kids. Poor behaviour isn't tolerated in anyone.

Thank Post
    I get irritated quite easily at the moment. I try not to let it show but sometimes i can't keep it in. The thing that is annoying me sooo much at the moment is the fact that the amount of work i have put into getting the systems up and running and the services i have put into place just don't get used. For example, i have started the wiki service and added content to help them with their day to day ICT (training is an issue and i am aware of it and trying to amend this) and what do i get? We need training. Yes. have you read the items/content on the wiki? Oh, i ain't got time to read that. I just want you to tell me how to do it. What they really mean is that they want me to do it for them. This annoys me as i am trying to pull out all the stops but they seem intent on doing very little to change the fact that they know very little and willing to keep it that way. As soon as the training sessions are active, i bet no one comes. And that's what it is like and that's what drives me nuts! Why do i bother? But what really makes me fly off is when they ask a question and the answer is there to read and available.

Sorry. Rant over.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I normally have a little rant to myself

Thank Post
    I try to walk away with a comment that the matter will be resolved, usually with a tone in my voice that shows I'm cheesed off but am leaving the situation to either resolve it or to defuse the situation. If a teacher has something daft or not plugged it in I never say as such in front of their class, just a comment "it's all OK now"

I walked away from a conversation the other day where I felt unjust comments were being made re something I'd worked very hard on with the statement "thats fine blame me it's bound to be my fault" (childish I know but end of tether had been reached.

Person that had said comments followed me gushing apologies - so very politely I said "just leave it, it's fine I'll be back in 5 minutes when I've done something else (in otherwards when I've stopped seething) Returned to room 5 minutes later to find person in floods of tears surrounded by fellow staff comforting her and looking daggers at me.

I get the feeling we are expected to soak up comments, sort out human errors and have no feelings of our own!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    The worst time I had to bite my lip was when the head of IT at a previous school started laying into me about how poor the system was in front of a class of year 11 students.
    That's atrocious behavior. I hope he was made to apologise to you in front of those students too.

I've never raised my voice to a teacher/ client. If I get stressed I start swearing a lot to myself. Well I've shouted across a classroom to a kid for using the DVD Drive as a paper holder - and the teacher, a good friend, went very red as she'd been teaching all her classes to do that! LOL

It's a Victorian attitude to shout at people. "a sign of a public school education" as one of the teachers at my school says

Modern educational methods are all about positive reinforcement and encouragement. Modern parenting too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Modern educational methods are all about positive reinforcement and encouragement. Modern parenting too.
    And look where it has got us...

I'm not cool headed; this is why I work with machines and not people. It makes me feel better to shout at something that isn't working, and if that thing is flesh & blood they take offence.

Shouted at pupil last week. Teacher in has no control of class, I was half watching what was going on using Ranger Remote. Kid playing game at start of lesson, so I closed it for him, just so he could see the Spanish he should have been doing. About 10 mins from the end of the lesson, HoD comes in and asks whats going on in lab as it is fairly noisy. Go back to Ranger and blasted kid is at it again. Teacher wouldn't do anything, so I called kid out and asked, loudly, if he thought that his parents were spending £25k a year for him to play games etc. Very quite in the lab for the rest of the lesson!

Works well if done sparingly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,382 Times in 1,676 Posts
    I try very hard not to get cross but as others have said, I think it shows in my tone of voice occasionally. I tend to leave the situation and go back to my IT room, check there is nobody around and then get angry. I did have a situation last week where I felt I was being blamed for something not my fault and although I didn't say anything to those involved and was fine, back in my own place I tripped over the phone cable and really let rip . My boss was in the room and he disappeared and when he came back I realised he had sorted the issue I was cross about - which was lovely.
    The main problem I have is that people don't face me with their problems, I hear about it in a roundabout way which leaves me no chance to approach the person concerned and discuss the issues calmly.
    I do like the 'I'm busy with an emergency - write it down and I will get to it ASAP' approach.
    Bad manners and a lot of shouting are not something I respond to and I agree that the former at least should not be shown in front of children.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast