+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, How often do you lose your temper in General; I dont loose my temper at all at work, in front of them sometimes i just tell them to put ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I dont loose my temper at all at work, in front of them sometimes i just tell them to put it on the helpdesk. but tbh if they do really wind me up i just go back to the office and have a rant to myself and sometimes with the company of the NM which is great fun and much more releaving :P

James.

Thank Post
    rarely with kids, infrequently with staff.

I had to go into a room and bawl out a class of year 11 who'd reduced a cover teacher to a wreck and who'd then left them unsupervised. It's so rare that I give my voice full reign that they all stopped dead, and were ever so good for the remaining 30 minutes while I sat in the room and filled in.

Staff though..gah. They run in and shout at you while you're on the phone..that upsets me. They can't control the kids and leave the office door open so we get swamped..that annoys me..and they can't plan for toffee, and that REALLY annoys me. I still rarely shout..but they get the message.

I've only ever gone bursar at ONE staff member, which was when she let a kid on the system as her, and we caught her out because he was playing games and surfing for inappropriate material..she was justifying her actions, refused to acknowledge any fault, "you shouldn't block them then"..etc

I explained the filtering needs, the security reasons, the reason everyone has an account, differentiated filtering etc..she still argued. So I got up, locked the door, and I just let rip, including calling the LEA and throwing her the phone so she could justify to them.

NM had to hold me back and have her removed in hysterics. I got a written complaint about it, and tore it up in front of her. With my HODs backing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    I get irritated quite easily at the moment. I try not to let it show but sometimes i can't keep it in. The thing that is annoying me sooo much at the moment is the fact that the amount of work i have put into getting the systems up and running and the services i have put into place just don't get used. For example, i have started the wiki service and added content to help them with their day to day ICT (training is an issue and i am aware of it and trying to amend this) and what do i get? We need training. Yes. have you read the items/content on the wiki? Oh, i ain't got time to read that. I just want you to tell me how to do it. What they really mean is that they want me to do it for them. This annoys me as i am trying to pull out all the stops but they seem intent on doing very little to change the fact that they know very little and willing to keep it that way. As soon as the training sessions are active, i bet no one comes. And that's what it is like and that's what drives me nuts! Why do i bother? But what really makes me fly off is when they ask a question and the answer is there to read and available.
    I have had similar issues with help files. I'm building up a collection of them now. I did have it set as a publicly accessible knowledgebase but no-one went to it. So I've switched to RT with RTFM and now if someone has an issue, i can select the pre-made RTFM articles for them to read and send it to them as an email.

The excuse 'I don't have time to read X' is such a useless excuse though, as waiting the time it takes for me to get round to going and doing it for them is usually a more time consuming thing to do!

Thank Post
    The main problem I have is that people don't face me with their problems, I hear about it in a roundabout way which leaves me no chance to approach the person concerned and discuss the issues calmly.
    I get this as well, I go linedancing() with a Teaching assistant and one from my other school is a fellow pub regular - invariably I'm told "Don't know what went wrong with the printers after you left no-one could print at all this afternoon" or "all lower school wanted to watch dvd's on their smartboards none of them worked" When i next go to the school I find someone had turned the printer off at the mains and no one had the gumption to check, or that only one class couldn't watch a dvd because their teacher didn't follow the written instructions from me on what to do when you want to watch a dvd!
    But between the time of being told and checking yourself you feel like total waste of space who may as well pack up the day job and get a job stacking shelves.

Thank Post
    Readers of this thread may also be interested in this years winner of the Ig Nobel prize for Literature; "You Bastard: A Narrative Exploration of the Experience of Indignation within Organizations,"
    Last edited by Andrew_C; 19th October 2008 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Link To Ig Nobel added

6. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

somabc (19th October 2008)

Thank Post
    I've only got a bit mad at someone once, and that was Friday last week.
    The teacher sent some pupils to get a few laptops, as I was in the middle of re-imaging them I gave them the only few I had that were not already in the process, but told them that if they do not work, we didn't have any more to give them.

Now, staff know that the laptops are over 3 years old, wireless cards are dodgy, the batteries dont hold a charge and the logons are slow - hence why no-one uses them anymore.

So, 10 minutes later some different pupils from her class come in - only 1 of the laptops work out of the 5, can they have more? I said No, I told them before we dont have any more.

5 minutes later, a different set of kids again comes in, "can we have some laptops please?" So again, I said, No, and tell Mrs. X that we DO NOT HAVE ANY MORE to give her.

5 minutes after that, Mrs. X comes in demanding a supply teacher laptop to give to her kids. I tell her we can't do that, as they are set up for as a single-logon machine with TEACHER's security, permissions, Internet Filtering, mapped drives etc

So then she starts having a go, "well I'm going to use the laptop with them, I'll make sure they dont look at stuff" and so forth, so I said again (by this time in a more forceful tone) I CANT give you a TEACHER laptop for PUPILs to use!

this went on for a few minutes, back and forth, and only ended when I said something like "I CANT GIVE YOU A SUPPLY LAPTOP, WE HAVE NO PUPILS ONES AS I'M TRYING TO FIX THEM AT THIS VERY MOMENT, and you know, everyone knows these laptops are crap, I tell you (staff) every time someone asks for them, so WHY do you people still try to use them?"

she then goes on to demand use of the ICT Suite instead, as "not having the Internet has ruined all my planning this week", which is the very quote I am going to present the Head with when I get called in about this (such as why was all her planning based on the Internet, why were there no backup plans etc), which I have a feeling I will as Mrs. X is a moany old so-and-so who won't let this go, I know it

I point out that the Internet being down at the start of the week WAS NOT MY FAULT, just like it NEVER IS, it's our ISP, we have complained over and over, recommended that we switch, the Head ignores us etc etc

By happy coincidence the ICT Suite was free for the rest of the morning, so (i presume) she went over there.

Why she didn't check and do that in the first place is beyond me

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    That's atrocious behavior. I hope he was made to apologise to you in front of those students too.
    He wasn't unfortunitely, but his reputation in the school took a severe knocking because of the incident, and I think the students knew, they always do! Him apologising was good enough, we all make errors of judgement, afterall we are only human. After the incident things changed a lot, he had much more respect for us and we actually worked quite well together to solve the problems we were having, so much so that when I left he actually wrote me a letter thanking me for my support for the previous 2 years.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    I sometimes think that me, elsiegee and chrbb are actually the same person living in parallel universes - just about everything you both say applies to me too!
    And localzuk - love the pic - so nice to have something pleasant to look at!

Thank Post
    Reading some of the posts makes me realise that the most of the teachers aren't so bad afterall. The only teacher I lost my temper with was a music teacher who seemed to think it was my job to plan her assembly. The school at is tiny as its a special school and they have a singing assemly once a week. This teacher wanted me to select suitable kareoke pop songs. She can take a running jump if she thinks I am going to vet lyrics of pop songs for naughty words for her.

Still I got loads pregnancy hormones, which probably explains the only occassion I have lost my temper.

I have never even come close to losing my temper with kids. Most the kids at the school I work at are nice children, they just have major learning difficulties. Infact I think they are far nicer than most mainstream kids. However there are times that I think the kids are brighter than the teachers.
    Last edited by frances; 19th October 2008 at 10:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Still I got loads pregnancy hormones, which probably explains the only occassion I have lost my temper.
    A couple of our teachers are pregnant and I had such a muddled conversation with one of them where neither of us could get what the other was saying, that we put it down to pregnancy hormones meeting middle age hormones and creating some sort of invisible langauge barrier

Thank Post
    Students get shouted at when they are rude or ignore instruction.

I've been short with the head of ICT a number of times in the past couple of weeks over a few things and have been pulled up on it more than once.

I'm not generally rude, short with or shouting at members of staff but I have been known to shout and swear about them loudly in the office...and am usually joined by my colleagues in ICT services in the ranting

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    As webman will tell you I don't get angry in front of the teachers I just wait until i get back in the IT support office and then give the stress toy's a pounding.
    I feel now that certain people act unprofessionally and get totally stressed because of their own inadequacies, they tend to blame the people around them for all manner of things so i just smile and get on with it.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I find that having a permanent air of grumpiness/miserable-old-gitness dispels the need to lose my temper...

Thank Post
    No never lost my temper here. Tend to keep it all inside and slowly vent it off over the day

Thank Post
    Never ever lost my temper in a classroom or when faced with a teacher being unreasonable, argumentative or just plain daft. I do get frustrated with it though.

In the main though I've found that the key to resolving most of the issues has been an open communication system where people can actually see what's being done and how things are (or aren't) progressing.

In a nutshell a help desk system which is open to all... One school in particular had a very difficult member of staff who would slowly simmer, putting things down in a paper "problems" book, until they boiled over and started losing their temper. Soon realised that the main issue was that nobody was then picking up the book and passing on critical issues.. it was almost as if I was expected to do an out of body visit to review the book telepathic style

Having an online system that allowed problems to be reported promptly online (as well as in the book) has meant I get notice of the issue and most important of all, I can note all the steps taken to resolve each one. The unexpected but welcome benefit has been the ability to record common fixes as "solution" articles or FAQ's so it's becoming a resource for self-help.

Stress levels are lower all round and there are still those who refuse to help themselves but at least now I have a simple way to prove when that's happening.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast