+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, National Job Evaluation... in General; ...

Thank Post

National Job Evaluation...

I'm in nottinghamshire and the Nation Job Evaluation is getting started in schools now.

I was wondering how those in other counties had done after the NJE. Having a look at the scores created for IT at the council it would appear that its just about impossible to get a salary over £25k.

Any recommendations about how to get the best from NJE would be welcome as we are getting to write our own job descriptions ready for job matching.

Whilst I'm here, how are the councils hoping to maintain a decent level of support when they're not going to pay for it?

Thank Post
    We had to carry out JDQ's (Job Description Questionnaires??) about a year ago. Haven't heard anything back yet......

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Our LA scrapped it saying they couldn't afford it, that it'd lower morale and that certain departments would be dessimated. We now have even more HR staff employed on a new scheme called "salary modernisation" or something similar. Ticking boxes on government forms no doubt.

Thank Post
    You want to get your job equivalent to an IT Manager or Engineer for your LA. The more responsibilities in your job description the better your chances.

Acas - Advisory booklet - Job evaluation: considerations and risks
    Last edited by somabc; 16th October 2008 at 10:20 PM.

5. Thanks to somabc from:

tech_guy (18th October 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    "Pay Modernisation" is the funky new title for the now scrapped Job Evaluation here. LOL

Thank Post
    Cheers for the info...

Just been told that the school is planning to say f#*k off to the county JE and the school will decide how much to pays its staff.

Can't see county liking that.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can't see the school getting away with it either

The whole point is to take this decision away from small fry like schools who think they're above the law, and get everyone equal pay for equal work.

Most Head Teachers fought to keep the power. The Gov't has told them to stuff off. Quite right too.

Thank Post
    However, the notion of "national" appears to have been ignored as each LA is doing it's own thing. Authorities round here are at various stages, with some having completed whilst others have not (mine is in the latter category). The ones who have completed have differing rates of pay for the same jobs! What's national and equal about that?

Thank Post
    Mate of mine in Trafford has had a 25% cut

He is then going to have his position reviewed and may get back 15%.

According to him some people (not many) have lost upto 40%

Thank Post
    It is beggers belief that this is the government trying to implement fair pay across local governments. How can that be the case if each LG are to set their own pay scales and perform their own JE to set peoples pay.

I believe our head is looking at moving the school to Foundation status as a way to get control over the finances and pay.

Don't know how many others are in NCC but in my opinion (not edugeek.net) they are very poor. Just look at how they decided to pay all £2.5million to EMBC from the Harnessing Technology Grant.

Argh, such anger....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dan400007 View Post
    I believe our head is looking at moving the school to Foundation status as a way to get control over the finances and pay.
    We are foundation and despite our counterparts in the council receiving large cuts we appear to have come out unscathed so far (it is down to governers if they will follow suite) Although I do not understand how this is as i thought job evaluation is about equalising pay nationally (essentially) and at the end of the day the school still receives it's money from the LEA and is paid by the LEA

Thank Post
    In Trafford LEA, Unison have been nothing but useless. Interesting to note that Unison (amongst other trade unions) are the ones pressing for equal pay!! All this goes back to about 1996 I think, where a pre elected New Labour and the Trade Unions (including Unison) agreed that Equal Pay in the public services was a priority. Maybe they could be sued for acting against their members?

The main thing is that all that are affected get together and also independently seek professional Legal advice because if enough do so the council will have a fight on their hands for sure. You cannot in my understanding simply reduce a persons pay and increase their hours without their agreement and I'm sure no one will agree to that irrespective of whether they are in union or not.

What makes the situation even worse is that the new teachers pay structure comes into effect in early 2009, which will see huge increases for some teaching staff. Guess the LA has to fund it somehow, and they're using your pay to do it.

get as much advice as you can, and if you are in unison, GTFO with all speed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread