+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, CC4 in Northants in General; We at Latimer Arts College are looking at upgrading our CC3 to CC4. Aaron and myself have been to a ...

Thank Post

CC4 in Northants

We at Latimer Arts College are looking at upgrading our CC3 to CC4. Aaron and myself have been to a demo of CC4 but as this was provided by RM it all "went well."

We are wondering if any schools in and around the Northants area have adopted CC4 and can either give us some feedback or let us come and have a look for ourselves?

Our current CC3 setup is four DC's (all under 1.5 years old), one exchange server, one RM Terminal server, and a few other member servers of our own. We have around 200 student PC's and 250 laptops (staff and student.) All our workstations, including school admin staff, are on our CC3 network as we ditched the "admin" network years ago.

Any feedback gratefully received!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,462 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not in Northants, but I can certainly advise that you should hold off on any migration to CC4 for the time being, especially if you have a working CC3 installation.

Although there are some success stories, there are still issues with CC4 that would make me wait at least until the first service release issued.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Not in Northants, but I can certainly advise that you should hold off on any migration to CC4 for the time being, especially if you have a working CC3 installation.

Although there are some success stories, there are still issues with CC4 that would make me wait at least until the first service release issued.

Our CC3 setup is quite poor in terms of performance to be honest. We are looking to upgrade or ditch it as before the school had full time ICT techs ike myself, they relied on DotICT to come in once a week and do work. Unfortunately these guys are a band of monkeys and messed things right up which we have been piecing back together ever since!

Also - our teachers have got wind of the extra features in CC4 and are very interested to say the least.

Thank Post
    At a minimum hold off 6 months then, but preferably until next summer. Blame it on planning and preperation but it really will be worse if you get a new system that doesn't work quite as well as it should.

Thank Post
    If you have 4 new'ish DC's and only 450 Workstations and you say performance is poor I would suggest you have problems elsewhere (network, wireless?) or possibly the network has been neglected in the past with regard to general maintenance, performance updates and hotfixes?

We have 2 DC's, one new'ish and one over 3 years old and 3 Terminal Servers, and performance is fine overall with 250 workstations (no wireless) and 100 thin clients.

As for CC4 - don't go near it for at least 6 months, many schools are beta testing it (or should it be alpha?) for you at the moment and having severe troubles.

A well set up, resourced, and looked after CC3 network should do you for several years to come to be honest.

Thank Post
    I would have a look over at the RM Communitys Forum. Was browsing in there the other day and some people were having issues of builds not working if they built more than 4 stations at a time. Might be the best place to look to get a real feel of issues current users are having.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,462 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    I would have a look over at the RM Communitys Forum. Was browsing in there the other day and some people were having issues of builds not working if they built more than 4 stations at a time. Might be the best place to look to get a real feel of issues current users are having.
    Agreed Communities is a good place to look.

Things do seem to be improving, update 17 seems to have made a big difference to some, but I would want a period of stability before embarking on this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know of a new primary localish to you that has it. Do you also want me to put a request out to the usual attendees to the IT Managers' Meetings?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The cc4 process has not gone well and think that is fairly obvious to everyone concerned the good thing is board have realised their mistake in product and putting huge financial and resources into sorting any cc4 issues.

I was talking to a guy who has worked with RM for a large number of years and his words where "the scale that RM are working to make sure that customers cc4 issues and any future cc4 issues are sorted are massive"

I can not name a single department that hasn't had someone moved from them to work on CC4.

Russ

Thank Post
    This was on the Sherston software tech pages, not being an RM school, I don't know if this is a one off or likely to be a common issue?

RM CC4 Networks
    Following initial tests we have established that our packages for RM CC3 networks are unfortunately incompatible with RM CC4 networks. We would like to apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause and also to reassure our customers that our investigations into repackaging our software for RM CC4 are ongoing.
    There was also a poster on here a few days ago saying they worked for RM and that they stronlgy advised waiting before making the move to CC4

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Should be a one off as cc3 packages should work no problem so there is something in software that is causing an issue I suspect.

Russ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread