+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Team Review in General; would love them all in one office...ideal solution is all in one office, with service desk next to it. with ...

Thank Post
    would love them all in one office...ideal solution is all in one office, with service desk next to it. with me a nm next door too...just trying to get SMT to understand this is a better, staff like the idea of having someone close by..tho they moan when that person isnt in their office...like they expect them sat waiting for them..but thats a different story!

thanks for all the ideas people, but me in a better frame of mind for tomorrow...going to draw up some ideas and speak to NM, and have a chat with tech's.

by the way...the Nm is the business manager...doesnt help matters sometimes but good when i need a new server!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Tate View Post
    by the way...the Nm is the business manager...doesnt help matters sometimes but good when i need a new server!
    That's very unusual, the network managers role is normally an exclusive one in a school with the amount of ICT you have. There's no way our business manager could carry out both roles, there just wouldn't be enough time and the skill set for each job is totally different. Unfortunitely there is your problem.

If they had someone in there exclusively managing the ICT support, they could probably get the place running more like a team and make the whole department more efficient. Unfortunitely this would probably make some of the technician roles redundant, which would easily cover the salery of a full time network manager, and the overall gain for the school would be massive.

was just thinking about there being ten of you, our helpdesk gets about 300 tickets a month, but some of these are just for simple password changes and the like. average of 21 working days in a month, that means each tech gets about 1.4 calls a day, that would be pure bliss!

Mike

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With me being out for the year the Business Manager is now the line manager for the NM and support team. We are both on the Senior Leadership Team ... I suppose the title of NM in the case of the OP is the person that has overall control of IT at the school rather than the person that we would normally be called the NM (the OP?)

It is just about titles really ... not about actual roles.

Thank Post
    Wow ladies and gentlemen we have actually found an ICT department that is overstaffed!!! There had to be one in the country!!

I'll have a couple of your technies off you if you dont want them

Just noticed that your "NM" is the business manager rather than a standalone NM - that is good for you because he should know it is his job to make sure everything runs businesslike which will make approaching him about the situation much easier compared to if he was a standalone NM and basically wasn't doing his job.

Personally I think you need to set up a helpdesk system so you and the NM can track all support requests - this will make it easy to see who is pulling their weight and who is not.

It sounds to me like you're ready to take on the role of NM - suggest this to the business manager in your meeting. Most large secondary schools/colleges have dedicated NM's.
    Last edited by Butuz; 16th October 2008 at 09:02 AM.

Thank Post
    Thought I might be able to add something useful to this.

We have an IT/media department of 13 at the moment with no problem giving them enough to do. 1800ish kids, 600ish machines. We do a couple of things that have already been mentioned here, but thought I'd point out the bits that work for us.

- Give people specific tasks. Within the team we have people that are specifically graphics/video for example.
    - Make the most of helpdesk software, very good way to keep an eye on what is happening and how long it's taking.
    - Get your performance management working well and linked into salary. Our staff have specific things to achieve in the year linked to this, often they are research type projects that we want to try out. We really push the new ideas, and encourage/fund the guys to come up with good things.
    - Meet regularly to discuss projects/deadlines/etc. Each of our smaller groups within the 13 meet once a month, projects that are taking place are talked about, everybody knows what is going on and when.

Maybe think about doing more than supporting the network. Lots of creative things your ICT people could be doing- our technicians run regular activities with groups of staff & students in addition to the normal day to day stuff.

The other point that might be worth thinking about is about supporting others. If you are in a situation where you feel you have more people than you need to run your school think about others around you. One of the main reasons our team is so large is a number of the group spend a lot of the week working in other schools. Feeder primaries are an obvious place to start, always need help & an SLA for regular support would work well.

Hope this is useful, welcome to come have a chat if you think it would be interesting.

Cheers,

Tim

Thank Post
    Wow tim! Team of 13 is pretty darn impressive!!!

Thats one of the things I would love to do here is support feeder primaries etc - unfortuntly with just the two of us it is not possible.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    Thats one of the things I would love to do here is support feeder primaries etc - unfortuntly with just the two of us it is not possible.
    We got into this by going to the primaries and asking if they needed any help at about the time we were thinking about extending the team. This was early days when it was still a small group. Found out the primaries could use somebody for about half a week (& pay the wages for half through the SLAs), the other half he could be in school. Was quite a good way to put forward the need for an extra staff member as allocating the cost of wages was made far easier.

Tim

Thank Post
    Sounds like an interesting idea to put forward in my dev plan!

How many feeders do you actually support?

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    How many feeders do you actually support?
    Currently looking after 7 primaries. They vary a bit in the time we spend there from 1 day/week to half day/fortnight. Also just started looking at doing call-out type contracts for a couple of the local secondaries. With the current staffing I don't think we'd extend much more than this as it seems to have that member doing Wildern work about half the time, primary work the rest. If push this ratio any further the other way it doesn't seem like we'd be benefiting our own school as much as we should be.

Tim

Thank Post
    ::blinks::

They're not connected with what I do, but I can point to people who do all the support for ~10 primaries all by by themselves (which adds up to something like 600 PCs and a couple of thousand users).

Can't decide whether to move to Southampton for an easy life or to make a killing...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12