+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Censorship on Edugeek !!! in General; Why was this thread closed and free and open speech stopped by Diello... ? what right has he to decide ...
    Thank Post

Censorship on Edugeek !!!

Why was this thread closed and free and open speech stopped by Diello... ?

what right has he to decide that that's it I'm closing this thread because I want to or because he doesn't like the topic.. this smacks of censorship?

One rule for one....

if i just want a site where I get only technical advice I wopuld join some bland Microsoft Forum

This place is starting to blow

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    WUH WUH !! Thats the sound of Edugeek Police....Wuh Wuh.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    mattx. You are the cause of many drink-splurting issues involving IT support staff and computer equipment Edugeek says I can't give you any more rep yet, but it's the thought that counts :P

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    Why was this thread closed and free and open speech stopped by Diello... ?

what right has he to decide that that's it I'm closing this thread because I want to or because he doesn't like the topic.. this smacks of censorship?

One rule for one....

if i just want a site where I get only technical advice I wopuld join some bland Microsoft Forum

This place is starting to blow
    Hmm... lets see shall we Grommit?

1 - Deliberately using a 4-letter expletive in a post after Dos_Box's precise announcement not to?
    2 - Deliberately goading the staff by asking to get an infraction for it?
    3 - Replying to witch with a reference to growing up, maturity and staff being "hall monitors".

A question was asked regarding "one rule for one", it was answered, first by staff, and then by the site owner in an announcement. Other members had accepted that and moved on, but you just had to try to stir it up again in the thread, ignore what the Admins had decided, and basically try to get yourself banned with "suicide by cop".

You seem to be under this strange illusion that EduGeek is a democracy - it's not, if the owner tells you to do something, it's a pretty good guess it didn't come with an "if you want" attached to the end.

Not to mention it was the opinion of not just me to close the thread...
    Last edited by Diello; 14th October 2008 at 03:55 PM.

Thank Post
    How did I know a thread with this title and with these folks was immediately going to appear..

This is not a democracy, it is not collective of the common people, it is privately owned, run and operated by an individual with a series of volunteers handling much of the day to day tasks.

If you don't like it, go create your own nirvana... and good luck.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    mattx. You are the cause of many drink-splurting issues involving IT support staff and computer equipment Edugeek says I can't give you any more rep yet, but it's the thought that counts :P
    Arrrrrr Shucks..... made me go all red........ brother.

Its a mad world out there, if you can't have a bit of fun.........

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I always find it strange for people to hang in around in a place they so clearly despise.

Personal opinion: these kind of follow up threads should be locked before the whole thing starts up again

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    This is not a democracy, it is not collective of the common people
    ..it's forum for school IT techs!!!

Why complain that the site acts like a site for school IT Techs?!?!

That to me seems to be what you are saying Grommit? This isn't a platform for free speech or a test of moral decency. We have professional standards and we bring those here with us. We have to if we want to use this site in our jobs. Like Diello suggests, if you want more you need to be in another place. Shame I know, as it's here you find like mind souls with a shared interest. Maybe we should have a no holds barred secret sister site.

I forget that sometimes this site does need to be school clean. Like with my picture on the Credit Crunch jokes thread. To me, lots of stuff flies over my decency radar, and it appears I went too far with that one. I was actually directly quoting Richard Dawkins in a post on his own forums. Possibly not a good moral thermometer

Hightower complained that I didn't get the sametreatment as others, whilst ignoring what we all know to be the process, of pressing thereport button. In my opinion, he only did this to stir up trouble, because he couldn't accept his own wrong doing. Nothing more.

Thank Post
    I do think this site is going down hill fast its just not as fun as when i first joined, its becoming to serious.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    I do think this site is going down hill fast its just not as fun as when i first joined, its becoming to serious.
    only because a few people want to play up and take it too far. funs still there to be had.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    I'm not sure I agree its less fun, but its certainly becoming more professional, and is that necessarily such a bad thing?

I don't think so but I guess it depends on your reasons for coming here. I think its about bringing professionals with a shared (and probably fairly unique in terms of workplace) experience to help each other out, share ideas and generally improve our IT service across our schools. If that means we have to act professionally then so be it. I would rather that than some of the nonsense going on lately.

I think that certain recent events show that as the site becomes more popular, it will be read more "outsiders" and this is going to restrict the things we say anyway. Do we really want to portray our profession the way some threads have? (Not saying I am blameless here, if Iook back I am sure there are some posts I have made that I probably wouldn't make again)

To be honest I think, if any, Edugeek is getting better not worse.

(btw I am not saying that I am right, just that this is my way of thinking)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was waiting for this sort of topic to appear. It appears to be the same people time and time again complaining of censorship. I see it like this - this site is privately owned. It isn't a collective. It isn't a democracy.

Why must the site be a free for all of poor behaviour? I know I wouldn't continue to come here if it were - justifying its use to my boss would become a lot harder! This site is used by a significant number of people for solving problems and for professional development. Sure, have some fun - clean fun. Sure have a rant, but without it being expletive filled. Why do you need those things?

I know this will sound like an old stereotyped american (you know, 'if you don't like it, yuh can get out')- but if you don't like the way the site is ran, or the way it is going, you are always free to not use it.

Thank Post
    Aw heck.. it's a forum that's going through growing pains...

When places like this are small and new then folks are more likely to get along and the rules are fairly relaxed because the spirit of the community holds sway. But it gets popular and grows bigger, folks are less likely to know each other and every community has it's troll who likes the attention of notoriety. Then it gets to a critical point where some folks feel the old feel has gone, which it has and stricter structures and rules have to take sway or the whole thing hits critical mass and implodes.

This is as true of this place as any other and if anything the fact that it has a much greater professional remit makes it even more inescapable that it's going to be less "fun" and more "serious".

... and does anyone doubt that there are LEA, Managers, Heads, etc... all looking at this place with a much more jaundiced eye and wondering if it's actually worth blocking. You can already see more than a few that have suffered from that and you can bet it won't stop there.

Self fulfilling prophecy anyone?

Thank Post
    Can I just say I've never kissed the editor of the Radio Times.....

Thank Post
    The most heated we use to get was a good old Vanilla vs RM debate, now some things get extreamly heated and not in a light hearted way.

FFS! Forum posts seem to take up 80% of the recent threads screen.

With the exception of the Sophos incident i cannot remember things getting censored before, and rules did not seem to pop up like they have this time.

Its still a handy site, even if i do pull my hair when using the sites wiki, infact i was swearing at it last week trying to find what i wanted on it.

I'd get rid of the FFS forum anyway, venting rage of a forum may not be the best place, its like recording yourself smashing somthing up, it might get seen.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast