+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Censorship on Edugeek !!! in General; Originally Posted by Messa Whats with the multiple posts? can't you just stick to one and edit it afterwards when ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Messa View Post
    Whats with the multiple posts? can't you just stick to one and edit it afterwards when you think of something else to rage about?
    Sorry to offend.. I was just reply as I was reading......

Look I'm giving up on this effort to relax the censorship a bit on this board as there seems to quite a few members here that would find a WI meeting exciting and fullfilling so I'm up against Magnolia..... so that's it...

There is no way I can even try to have any type of connection with these people as I despise them....

So that's it... moderate away, hand out the infractions and noddy badges .. censor away......that the last you'll hear from me on the subject..
    Last edited by Grommit; 15th October 2008 at 09:40 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Can I go to the toilet please ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    And previous to Mods and one rule for one etc, I think Diello needs to get off his high horse. (And you know what I mean, I've spoken to mods about being infracted for a sinister swear word when blatant abusers get no infraction, "We'll look into it and publish new rules etc, no one should be treated differently etc etc" Well its been a few months.
    OK... we're obviously both not on the same planet... Care to explain exactly where I've been on a "high horse"?

£50... interesting... I suggest the next EduGeek conference be held on a local street corner then... we should easily be able to afford that with our high-income £50... Not a clue some people.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    Damn... I'd almost hit ignore..

You really haven't a flippin' clue have you... £50 a year ROFLMAO...

Can someone please provide the bandwidth and hard drive space requirement, backup facilities, etc... this place requires to shoot this one down in flames.

Ok... I'm done... but good grief... £50! ... priceless..
    I was just going to say the same thing, get real £50 a month wouldn't even cover the requirements of edugeek I wouldn't have thought.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Care to explain exactly where I've been on a "high horse"?
    A Man on a High Horse.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hahah! £50 a year! I wish sites this popular only cost that much to host! If it was less than £100 a month I'd be surprised!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    SO grommit posted at 1AM and then was back on at 9 to start again.

...he says he hates it and comes back
    ...moans and complains he doesn't need it, yet returns.

Do we have an Edu-rehab centre? cause he's obviously addicted

Thank Post

Revenue

A bit of a rant sorry.

I know from personal experience the flak you can get when forum members start the old 'look at the money they are making' drivvel.

I can tell you that when people say that they do not have a clue and start to lose all respectability.

In one breath someone is saying they have the right to say what they want and in the next they are saying the forum should do what they say and the forum has no right to censor them????

Bloody grow up and get in the real world. This forum did not just appear here, it has evolved through lots of hard work given voluntarily. Because of that enthusiasm the site has been very successful and in doing so attracted revenue, although i would imagine it is a small amount.

So through hard work and dedication the site can move on with that revenue and whoever runs the site can do whatever it wants as far as i am concerned as although I have contributed to the site i do not feel that I own it.

It is like saying I buy my groceries from tescos so i own it as i am contributing to the profits???

Anyhow, this is a free site, gratis, nowt, nil, nothing, now that is what i consider value for money.

Alex

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Costs!! Don't tell me about costs!!

Right, our current server is about £1000 per year and is getting inadequate for our traffic levels. We have been offered a free virtual Xen host by Navaho, complete with failover which Shaun in currently dealing with. To buy the level of service we require it would set us back about £300-£400 per month.

Many of you have been with us since the early days and I suspect still view EduGeek as a small(ish) site, but From my lofty heights I can tell you most definitely that we are no longer that little fish, and the amount of background activity that goes on more than takes up my time and energies. Including BETT and the conferences I reckon we require about 15-20k per year now to operate. And people think they are being hard done by when the mods try and keep the place tidy. You have no idea. We are now viewed globally as THE source if IT information regarding education worldwide and are viewed in govt offices as well as classrooms. That's why we don't allow the same kind of behaviour as you would expect from pupils in the playground.

At the end of the day it is my house and you are all very welcome to slum out on the couches, raid the fridge, rifle through my DVD and music collection. The minute you start writing on the walls and furniture however, look out.
    Last edited by Ric_; 15th October 2008 at 12:26 PM. Reason: repair brain dump

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    Damn... I'd almost hit ignore..

You really haven't a flippin' clue have you... £50 a year ROFLMAO...

Can someone please provide the bandwidth and hard drive space requirement, backup facilities, etc... this place requires to shoot this one down in flames.

Ok... I'm done... but good grief... £50! ... priceless..
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    I was just going to say the same thing, get real £50 a month wouldn't even cover the requirements of edugeek I wouldn't have thought.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Diello View Post

£50... interesting... I suggest the next EduGeek conference be held on a local street corner then... we should easily be able to afford that with our high-income £50... Not a clue some people.
    Please what's wrong with you people.. I have my own forum with 2000 members and we host here and have everything for under £50 per year...

OK smart arses why can't this hostgator be acceptable for Edugeek ?

Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, and Dedicated Website Hosting w/ cPanel - HostGator

UNLIMITED Disk Space
    UNLIMITED Bandwidth
    Host UNLIMITED Websites
    FREE Instant Setup
    99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    45 Day Money Back Guarantee
    CGI, PHP 5, RoR, Perl
    MySQL, SSH, SSL, IMAP, POP
    FREE Site Builder
    cPanel Hosting ( View Demo )
    24/7/365 Upgraded Support
    No Contracts or Hidden Fees
    View Web Hosting Plans
    Free Backup
    Only $7.95 /month

Thank Post
    i own my own hosting business, i host the edumoodle template for dan (for free) and we're now on the 15th he gets 1GB Bandwidth and he's used 85% so you can imagine how much Edugeek uses.

So your £50/Year comment is just ridiculous...

PEOPLE ALWAYS OVERSELL, there is no such thing in the hosting business as 'Unlimited'

PLUS...

Thats an american host so for the main part of the community (UK) it will be slower...
    Last edited by Messa; 15th October 2008 at 10:11 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    SO grommit posted at 1AM and then was back on at 9 to start again.

...he says he hates it and comes back
    ...moans and complains he doesn't need it, yet returns.

Do we have an Edu-rehab centre? cause he's obviously addicted
    Weirdo

Thank Post
    In my opinion this is not constructive, nor does it contribute to edugeek so I'd close the thread and deal with it over PM/IM.

I hear the censorship line but as most say if you don't like it don't come here!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Diello View Post
    OK... we're obviously both not on the same planet... Care to explain exactly where I've been on a "high horse"?

I'm on earth, not sure where you are. I'd copy and paste but its in the mod section and I'm pretty sure thats not allowed. Needless to say you infracted me for sinister swearing, yet another "distressed" member did the same multiple times in the same post and yet he was not infracted, you obviously liked him therefore he didn't need an infraction.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    Weirdo
    ..lol

16. Thanks to Domino from:

strawberry (15th October 2008)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast