+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Censorship on Edugeek !!! in General; Grommit, c'mon man you are just getting boring now. The same nonsense and insulting other members is dull. Can you ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,462 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Grommit, c'mon man you are just getting boring now. The same nonsense and insulting other members is dull.

Can you just answer one thing? Why are you still here if you hate it so much?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think this might be apt here:

Freedom of speech comes with responsibility. Don't like up to your responsibilities, and you lose the freedom.

Thank Post
    @Mattx: I have, he used tounges & never said thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    First they came for the Grommit,
    - but I was not a fun guy like him so I did not speak out.

Then they came for the Mattx and Hightower,
    - but I was neither, so I did not speak out.

Then they came for the Wise Cracking Old Members,
    - but I was not a Wise Cracking Old Member so I did not speak out.
    And when they came for me, there was no one left to speak out for me.

Hmmmm, could we have a judgement call on a Godwin-by-proxy here? It isn't an outright Godwin but it does seem to be a stealth tactical strike.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Freedom of speech comes with responsibility. Don't like up to your responsibilities, and you lose the freedom.

Very apt after all this is a free site managed for us to broaden our knowledge.

Thank Post
    The thing that is actually funny about this, a lot of you guys have never met each other yet you get angry about stuff thats said... people take this forum all too personal.

Thank Post
    If you strip all of the emotion from this discussion thread, it boils down to the simple fact that there are laws which protect individuals from libel & slander and sites like this have to operate within the law.

The site also requires commercial sponsorship to continue to operate; this carries with it the responsibility to ensure that sponsors & their products and services are treated fairly. That is not to say that there should never be any criticism, but where members feel it is necessary to publically criticise they should at all times operate within the law.

If everyone applies a degree of decency & common sense in their posts this site would need little or no moderation and then there would be no risk of over zealous or too-heavy handed moderation (aka censorship). Someone earlier suggested more use of the Preview Post button, I think this is sound advice.

Freedom of speech and censorship are at the opposite ends of a pendulum, and we need to aim to be somewhere in the middle of the swing......

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Your choice of emote seems apt. I'm not saying 'lose the old timers' I'm saying a very simple line:

This site is not your playground. Stop being selfish and realise that the thousands of other people on here risk losing it as a useful resource in school if childish and inappropriate behaviour is common.
    Yes it seems to me that any opinion or anything that isn't towing your version of the party line.... you class as trolling.. which is sad..

Then I could do the same back to you and class you saying that "this is not a democracy and this is private forum"... inflamatory and thus trolling
    Last edited by Grommit; 15th October 2008 at 09:14 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    If you strip all of the emotion from this discussion thread, it boils down to the simple fact that there are laws which protect individuals from libel & slander and sites like this have to operate within the law.

The site also requires commercial sponsorship to continue to operate; this carries with it the responsibility to ensure that sponsors & their products and services are treated fairly. That is not to say that there should never be any criticism, but where members feel it is necessary to publically criticise they should at all times operate within the law.

If everyone applies a degree of decency & common sense in their posts this site would need little or no moderation and then there would be no risk of over zealous or too-heavy handed moderation (aka censorship). Someone earlier suggested more use of the Preview Post button, I think this is sound advice.

Freedom of speech and censorship are at the opposite ends of a pendulum, and we need to aim to be somewhere in the middle of the swing......
    This site does not require sponsorship to survive... we can host this board on a hosting company for 50 per year which a lot of us would gladly pay for.. or take it from the BETT fund

The sponsorship is only here because some people want to make money from Edugeek and all this new censorship is to protect thier financial intrests and not for the goodwill of the board

Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Grommit, c'mon man you are just getting boring now. The same nonsense and insulting other members is dull.

Never said I hated the site I hate the new censorship and moderation for capital gain...

and as I said before I would rather die than become Magnolia
    Last edited by Grommit; 15th October 2008 at 09:25 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post

Never said I hated the site I hate the new censorship and moderation for capital gain...

and as I said before I would rather die than become Magnolia

Thank Post
    Whats with the multiple posts? can't you just stick to one and edit it afterwards when you think of something else to rage about?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,462 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Never said I hated the site
    Fair enough, you never said the word 'hate' but I can infer your attitude from these comments:

This place is starting to blow
    someone decided to take this good thing and corporarise it into what it has turned into..
    This is what I am talking about ... this this ..it's so... dross... pathetic...
    the site has become magnolia

Thank Post
    The reason this board got so big was that it was good fun and a bit of crack... but then someone decided to take this good thing and corporarise it into what it has turned into..
    This is it isn't it... You genuinely believe that everyone uses this forum as a doss house for people to like "hang out, man" and there's no other reason for it.

For my money and it's my opinion, this place is more about professional resources than for general blather. I joined for that very reason, I've contributed for that very reason and I'll continue to contribute for that reason. All the FFS stuff or general chatter, is just window dressing IMHO.

Right... work... and hit ignore, I'm done wasting my high horse time on this, anyone else want my noble steed?

Thank Post
    Hu hu hu hu, go on Mods, release the figures of how many MILLIONS you are all making. I bet they don't all too busy sunning themselves on far off beaches

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyx View Post
    I use the site less and less, because of censorship issues and the fact that the site has lost some of independence. The biggie for me was the site admins views on BSF.

But I am just repeating myself from things I already said a while ago.

Time to drift away again.
    Here here. "ALL" members contribute to the site, we browse, we talk, we help, we pay for the site with ad revenue, without contribution the site would be nothing.

And previous to Mods and one rule for one etc, I think Diello needs to get off his high horse. (And you know what I mean, I've spoken to mods about being infracted for a sinister swear word when blatant abusers get no infraction, "We'll look into it and publish new rules etc, no one should be treated differently etc etc" Well its been a few months.

Thank Post
    This site does not require sponsorship to survive... we can host this board on a hosting company for 50 per year which a lot of us would gladly pay for.. or take it from the BETT fund

The sponsorship is only here because some people want to make money from Edugeek and all this new censorship is to protect thier financial intrests and not for the goodwill of the board
    Damn... I'd almost hit ignore..

You really haven't a flippin' clue have you... 50 a year ROFLMAO...

Can someone please provide the bandwidth and hard drive space requirement, backup facilities, etc... this place requires to shoot this one down in flames.

Ok... I'm done... but good grief... 50! ... priceless..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast