+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Censorship on Edugeek !!! in General; Originally Posted by Quackers I'd get rid of the FFS forum anyway, venting rage of a forum may not be ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    I'd get rid of the FFS forum anyway, venting rage of a forum may not be the best place, its like recording yourself smashing somthing up, it might get seen.
    The only problem with that is that if you take away the virtual FFS side of things, then real life could see real things getting really smashed up while uttering real words that would really get you fired.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 623 Posts
    Sorry, could not resist.....
    [ Just a honest bit of fun.......Everyone needs to chill out..... ]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Censorship on Edugeek !!!-suspect-being-arrested.jpg  

Thank Post
    In situations like this, I always fail to understand why some people
    find it so hard to just follow the rules.

This site is about Professional ICT for Professionals in ICT:
    so why the constant non-professionalism?

And as for censorship: if you post something that is not appropriate,
    it will no doubt get censored. Take that as a clue and think about what
    you post in future. If you are getting repeated infractions, well, perhaps you
    need to seriously assess your posting habits, or spend a little extra time with the
    "Preview post" button and really think about what you are posting?

If you want complete free speech and the ability to do whatever you like, start your own site.

Here, keep it clean and within the rules. Simple, really.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll be honest and say that I have *never* said 'nicked' to someone when arresting them ... I would just feel as if I was in an episode of The Bill! A mate did say "this is going to hurt me more that it will hurt you" and true enough ... it did since he was arresting his father-in-law.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post

Its still a handy site, even if i do pull my hair when using the sites wiki, infact i was swearing at it last week trying to find what i wanted on it.
    Is that at hint at us wiki mod's lol.. we will be adding more stuff to the wiki soon. just want to ask was it because of the way it is laid out .. as the reason u could not find what ur looking for .. or was it just a bad day just curious. PM me if you have any ideas..

Tah .. sorry hijak over..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Diello View Post
    Hmm... lets see shall we Grommit?

1 - Deliberately using a 4-letter expletive in a post after Dos_Box's precise announcement not to?
    2 - Deliberately goading the staff by asking to get an infraction for it?
    3 - Replying to witch with a reference to growing up, maturity and staff being "hall monitors".

A question was asked regarding "one rule for one", it was answered, first by staff, and then by the site owner in an announcement. Other members had accepted that and moved on, but you just had to try to stir it up again in the thread, ignore what the Admins had decided, and basically try to get yourself banned with "suicide by cop".

You seem to be under this strange illusion that EduGeek is a democracy - it's not, if the owner tells you to do something, it's a pretty good guess it didn't come with an "if you want" attached to the end.

Not to mention it was the opinion of not just me to close the thread...
    So basically freedom of speech is dead on the Edugeek boards because you don't like what I say.. and yes I am entitled to my opinion and my opinion is that sometimes the moderation on this board is a childish as a Primary School Hall monitor..

Opps sorry forgot we aren't allowed to have an opinion here or Diello will lock the thread..

also you locked a thread where board members were expressing their dissatisifaction with te moderation of this board and you lock it ... ROFLMAO

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    How did I know a thread with this title and with these folks was immediately going to appear..

This is not a democracy, it is not collective of the common people, it is privately owned, run and operated by an individual with a series of volunteers handling much of the day to day tasks.

If you don't like it, go create your own nirvana... and good luck.

Sorry mate get off you high horse.. this board might be privately owned but with out the members contributing it's nothing.. just and empty privatly owned shell..

The reason this board got so big was that it was good fun and a bit of crack... but then someone decided to take this good thing and corporarise it into what it has turned into..
    Last edited by Grommit; 15th October 2008 at 01:15 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    In situations like this, I always fail to understand why some people
    find it so hard to just follow the rules.

This site is about Professional ICT for Professionals in ICT:
    so why the constant non-professionalism?

And as for censorship: if you post something that is not appropriate,
    it will no doubt get censored. Take that as a clue and think about what
    you post in future. If you are getting repeated infractions, well, perhaps you
    need to seriously assess your posting habits, or spend a little extra time with the
    "Preview post" button and really think about what you are posting?

If you want complete free speech and the ability to do whatever you like, start your own site.

Here, keep it clean and within the rules. Simple, really.
    This is what I am talking about ... this this ..it's so... dross... pathetic... I would rather kill myself than be so bland and goody goody ?
    is he trying to impress the mods and wants a job ?

*sigh"
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    ..it's forum for school IT techs!!!

Why complain that the site acts like a site for school IT Techs?!?!

That to me seems to be what you are saying Grommit? This isn't a platform for free speech or a test of moral decency. We have professional standards and we bring those here with us. We have to if we want to use this site in our jobs. Like Diello suggests, if you want more you need to be in another place. Shame I know, as it's here you find like mind souls with a shared interest. Maybe we should have a no holds barred secret sister site.

I forget that sometimes this site does need to be school clean. Like with my picture on the Credit Crunch jokes thread. To me, lots of stuff flies over my decency radar, and it appears I went too far with that one. I was actually directly quoting Richard Dawkins in a post on his own forums. Possibly not a good moral thermometer

Hightower complained that I didn't get the sametreatment as others, whilst ignoring what we all know to be the process, of pressing thereport button. In my opinion, he only did this to stir up trouble, because he couldn't accept his own wrong doing. Nothing more.
    Think teacher might give you a gold star for that speech
    Last edited by Grommit; 15th October 2008 at 01:19 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I was waiting for this sort of topic to appear. It appears to be the same people time and time again complaining of censorship. I see it like this - this site is privately owned. It isn't a collective. It isn't a democracy.

I know this will sound like an old stereotyped american (you know, 'if you don't like it, yuh can get out')- but if you don't like the way the site is ran, or the way it is going, you are always free to not use it.
    Yes lets lose all the old timers because the site has become magnolia and they don't fit in with the new Corporate aganda...

Remamber mate the board might be privatly owned but without the members it's nothing... so don't be too smug

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    How did I know a thread with this title and with these folks was immediately going to appear..

This is not a democracy, it is not collective of the common people, it is privately owned, run and operated by an individual with a series of volunteers handling much of the day to day tasks.

If you don't like it, go create your own nirvana... and good luck.
    First they came for the Grommit,
    - but I was not a fun guy like him so I did not speak out.

Then they came for the Mattx and Hightower,
    - but I was neither, so I did not speak out.

Then they came for the Wise Cracking Old Members,
    - but I was not a Wise Cracking Old Member so I did not speak out.
    And when they came for me, there was no one left to speak out for me.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    Yes lets lose all the old timers because the site has become magnolia and they don't fit in with the new Corporate aganda...

Remamber mate the board might be privatly owned but without the members it's nothing... so don't be too smug

Your choice of emote seems apt. I'm not saying 'lose the old timers' I'm saying a very simple line:

This site is not your playground. Stop being selfish and realise that the thousands of other people on here risk losing it as a useful resource in school if childish and inappropriate behaviour is common.

Thank Post
    I use the site less and less, because of censorship issues and the fact that the site has lost some of independence. The biggie for me was the site admins views on BSF.

But I am just repeating myself from things I already said a while ago.

Time to drift away again.

Thank Post
    Surely the site is for all Educational IT professionals not just you school techs, about time some of you grew up and acted sensible just like us College techs. Or if you can't take a joke you shouldn't have joined...

Thank Post
    *yawn* Is your life really that boring that trying to rile people up on a website is the highlight of your day? OK, you want to use metaphors - then have you thought of yourself as the disruptive kid in the class that doesn't understand the work, so is disrupting everything the Teacher is trying to do, because they think it "looks cool" with their mates, then cries that they're being picked on when they get told off for it? If we're the primary school hall monitors, then you're the naughty little boy that spends half his time outside the Head's office because he's incapable of reasonable behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    So basically freedom of speech is dead on the Edugeek boards because you don't like what I say.. and yes I am entitled to my opinion and my opinion is that sometimes the moderation on this board is a childish as a Primary School Hall monitor..

Opps sorry forgot we aren't allowed to have an opinion here or Diello will lock the thread..

also you locked a thread where board members were expressing their dissatisifaction with te moderation of this board and you lock it ... ROFLMAO

You ever actually looked at freedom of speech law? Think you'll find it doesn't say you can say whatever you like, whenever you like. That's why slander laws exist, inciting racial hatred etc., anywhere you look, there are limits on freedom of speech.

It has nothing to do with me not liking what you're saying. Rule - No swearing, you read that, your next post contains an outright expletive, and basically a "hey, watch me get an infraction for breaking the rules!". Then you cry fowl because a stop is put on it and whine about your freedom of speech. What about people's right to come here without you swearing, trolling, and mouthing off all the time? What about DB's right to impose whatever rules he sees fit on the Board?

Actually - the thread had stopped being about people complaining about the moderation - If you actually read it, an answer had been given, and people had largely been happy with that and moved on, it was only you who thought it'd be fun to drag it all up again and start swearing, that's why it got locked.

As has been said, if you don't like it here, you know where the door is - or like I said, are you just trying to pull a suicide by cop and get banned, then claim "o woe me" again?

I think the phrase here is - Put up, or shut up.
    Last edited by Diello; 15th October 2008 at 08:49 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,495 Posts
    Children! Children!

You lot are worse than my two teenagers!

Yes, I'm an "old-timer". Yes, I was in favour of closing the other thread before those with hot tempers lost control...

The way I feel at the moment; perhaps eduGeek should start charging for membership. Then those who only want to play rough might decide their money would be better spent elsewhere.

Age doesn't come into it. Attitude does.

GROW UP YOU LOT!

Or it'll be early to bed without any TV or computer time tonight!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast