+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Interview tomorrow, what do you I.T. managers ask in interview? in General; Hey guys I was thinking along the lines of these: What sort of questions do you ask in your technical ...

Thank Post

Interview tomorrow, what do you I.T. managers ask in interview?

Hey guys I was thinking along the lines of these: What sort of questions do you ask in your technical interviews?

Can you explain to me what DNS is and why active directory needs it?
    Can you tell me about the 7 layers of the OSI model and a bit about each one?
    Can you tell me about RAID?
    Can you tell me about Active directory?
    What are GPOs and OU's?
    Tell me about your current I.T. experience?
    How do you prioritise your workload?
    What is WEP/WPA?
    The domain is unavailable what do you do?
    What is terminal services?
    What is server clustering?
    What does tracert do?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What post is it?

Thank Post
    I.T. Technician

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,449 Posts
    Whats the url for edugeek?

Ben

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    How do you think I like my coffee made?

What is SQL Server, and on that note to you pronounce it Ess Kew Ell or Sequel?

Point at all the Routers and switchs in this room if there are any (whilst pretending not to look at an air con unit or general beige box) >

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Blimey, both jobs i didnt get asked anything like that. They'll probably just want to make sure you're not a complete numpty.

Probably, that you are comfortable around hardware ,network and general maintainence. Unfortunately in my first job i wasnt allowed near the servers apart from backups so i'm sure it'll depend on the NM.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    The 1st tests their guessing ability and diplomacy (ie do you tell a large person that you think they like the type to have 6 sugars)

the 2nd tests how quickly you'll want to stab them with a pen

the 3rd gets rid of the people who don't know what they are doing or have a week long CompuTeach qualification who will pick up visual clues of you trying not to look at the air con to say "THAT'S ONE!" with a big smug look on their face (this has happened)

Thank Post
    mmmm!!

I thought the aircon was a ISDN switch router?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gaz350 View Post
    Scenarios is 1 of the comon questions asked.

Who would you help 1st?
    Head cant print a report off.
    Student comes to you and cant logon.
    ICT teacher is having issues with a memory stick that constantly reboots a machine.

How would you deal with a student, if he/she was to <insert something that might happen> [/B]
    Students and their learning/education always come first, however if the whole network is down this comes first as its the whole school

As I do in my current school, I will ask them to stop what their doing. (usually when it only affects I.T. equipment). If fails the best way is to get the nearest teacher. It depends on the circumstance. e.g. If there is a fight you attack the children with the nearest bat!!

Thank Post
    what did I get asked..erm..

"My machine won't power up - what would be your course of action?"

"We have a virus, widespread infection. What actions would you recommend we take and what do you feel you could do to help us resolve the issue?"

"Backups. We do THIS right now. What do you feel we could do differently/extra?"

"What would you do in situation "x" if you were working in a room and a child confronted you in an aggressive manner?"

More generalised stuff...even though I've done the courses and got the experience, if anyone asked me about the OSI model, it'd be a resounding "hell if I know, give me a sec to look on the net and refresh myself".

Stuff like that can be checked as and when - more generalised stuff about day to day running and whatever is I would say more vital.

If you asked me today about..say..AD, I wouldn't be much use. If you asked me about Ghosting, universal images, devcon and it's uses and HAL issues re:dual core laptops, or vmware, hypervisors etc, I could go into annoying detail, but it's not essential for day to day running.

If it's for a tech, make sure they can do the day to day generalities, some in-depth in important areas, I'd say maybe, and make sure they're willing to learn and be self motivating, and not a constant "clinger".

We'll be employing someone soon to do basic helpdesk and "joey" work here when we go over to fire up the new site - this is the sort of thing we'll ask them. They'll stay here and fix things, run the helpdesk and so on, we'll be over there with GSM link for mail, and mobile contact if needed.

Also, if they ask (as I did) "What car alarm do I need?", don't judge them harshly.. The head cracked up.

11. Thanks to Sirbendy from:

Jiser (14th October 2008)

Thank Post
    Who would you help 1st?
    Head cant print a report off.

That first - keep the boss happy.

Student comes to you and cant logon.

"what message do you get?" Change PW to 123456, get child to try it on a VM, if it works, send them off with a note to teacher saying "YOU have a password changer - for training, see me".

ICT teacher is having issues with a memory stick that constantly reboots a machine.

Tell him to move away from the system, bring stick to me and I'll test it, DO NOT fiddle any further.

How would you deal with a student, if he/she was to <insert something that might happen>

If staff are nearby, call for help. If not, look for CCTV. If none in range, grip keyboard in preparation. Try to strike conversation with child.

I was put up the wall by my throat on my first day..that was fun. He got to the door before I launched the little scrote. Funnily enough, we got on great after that.. Also had to break up a fair few fights in my time...always fun.

Thank Post
    "My machine won't power up - what would be your course of action?"
    1) Check the plug!! and other cables
    2) Smell for burning
    3) Listen for beeps
    4) Check hard drive (any nice clunky sounds)
    5) Check each component, see if seated properly/cables
    6) Flash CMOS etc etc

"We have a virus, widespread infection. What actions would you recommend we take and what do you feel you could do to help us resolve the issue?"

Well we had this when I was I.T. support at a company I used to work at. Ended up loosing us many thousands of pounds, due to downtime.

1) First would be to use the admin console on said virus software and draw up a list where those problems are.
    2) Disconnect from network and run client virus scanners on individual machines
    3) Isolate where the problem is from e.g. Email attachment
    4) Find virus on the web if you can and manually get rid of it, if possible. e.g. Through registry.
    5) Check everything works in the future/ e.g. Your spam filters/definitions are updated. Your latest OS versions are downloaded

"Backups. We do THIS right now. What do you feel we could do differently/extra?"
    1) Clustering?
    2) RAID 5 instead of 0/1
    3) Change type of backup/ differential/full/ calendar of backups - make more efficient if needed

"What would you do in situation "x" if you were working in a room and a child confronted you in an aggressive manner?"
    1) I would ask them to calm down
    2) Not atagonise the situation/person
    3) The last thing is to get aggressive yourself, remain calm and walkaway and get a high ranking staff member
    4) "Lets take this outside son" - 15 years of judo and 6 years weight lifting always helps

TBH as I do, I always slyly try to keep SMT happy, keeps you in their good books. Unless of course a poor childs education is suffering.
    Last edited by Jiser; 14th October 2008 at 04:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Not so much questions, but what I want to find out via the interview. There'll probably be a short written and practical test as well.

Technical
    1) Can you do what you claim to be able to? If you've stated you know "x" inside out, be prepared to prove it.
    2) Can you learn on your feet?
    3) In addition to what the job requires and what you have demonstrated your understanding of, what else do you know that would be useful?

Personal
    5) Are you prepared to admit when you don't know something?
    6) Are you personable? Could I work with you without harbouring a desire to throw you out the window?
    7) Are you likely to get on with the staff and kids? Since you'll be the buffer between me and them, if they're avoiding talking to you and instead bothering me, you're not much use to me.
    8) What do the kids think of you?

Bear in mind that I don't necessarily expect you to know the answers to everything asked, but I do expect you to have a go at them.
    Last edited by pete; 14th October 2008 at 05:38 PM.

15. Thanks to pete from:

Jiser (14th October 2008)

Thank Post
    Yes good stuff there. I haven't lied on my application form. Some of the aspects will need to be highlighted though. Yes to all the others. My current school loves me so much they like to ring me at home for suspect Microsoft office serials or when I am in bed on my day off. The "internet" is down again - SWGFL!! Usually its due to some idiot driving into some kit.

Thank Post
    I forgot one...when I was working in 2 primaries, I was requested by name to go to a 3rd and meet the head..so I did.

Interview conducted with him kneeling on the floor sorting out a rats nest of cables.

"We've just been rebuilt after a fire. We have 50 PCs and 1 server, and need someone to look after it all. It's Windows NT4. Ever used it?"

"No...although Win95/98 I have a lot of diddling with.."

"Capital! It looks about the same to me. If you can work one, I think you should be OK for the other. The company that did the setup will come in for a day and give you basic training, and they have a support number too..if you want the job, it's yours.."

That was a fun job..on me tod, in the building at midnight some nights, NT4 Server/NT4 WS, P2 server, P1 workstations, Avantis CDServes, and a 20 CD stacker tower. Plus user account setup, mail and web setup and software installation/hacking about to get it on NT4..ahh, memories of regedit, perms settings and sheer bloodymindedness, Cyrix CPUs, and "100x" CDroms..

THAT was a learning curve..straight from college to that. Then here with XP/2003, and now the new building with ESX3i/Novell/SuSE/2003/2008/XP/Vista (delete as and when they decide what we'll have), plus the building control/management systems, AV matrices, Wind turbines, ground source heating etc etc etc etc...

Learning on your feet is the best way, I have to say..it's going to be a hell of a year - we've got to be fully conversant in the basics at least before staff come in.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast