+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Sanctions for computer misuse in General; Just wondering what sanctions people have in place for when the little darlings misuse the computers and disobey the AUP....
    Thank Post

Sanctions for computer misuse

Just wondering what sanctions people have in place for when the little darlings misuse the computers and disobey the AUP.

Thank Post
    The most I've ever seen happen in any of my schools (all primary) is mild "tellings off", the odd "disappointed letter home" and in one case (after severe laptop damage) the child's "home use" privileges were revoked.

When I complained that the kids were ruining the mice at one school (probably by yanking them out by pulling the actual "mouse" part), it was suggested that maybe the mice weren't of good build quality .

Thank Post
    AAAAHHHHHH!

What are they like.

I have just started disabling pupils accounts for using the email as a chat forum in class. And as soon as we find a little darling looking for games, off the internet they go for 2 weeks. If they do it again, off for 6 weeks.

Do you think this is fair?

Thank Post
    If I see anyone trying to access proxy sites etc, their account gets disabled completely, so they have to come and see me, so they know that I know. If they do it again, they lose web and email rights, persistant mis-use ends up in a letter home.

They've not been too bad so far this year.....................fingers crossed!!!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Mysterious and unexplained loss of files.
    Intermittent Internet access issues.
    Mild electrocution.
    A good kicking by the bouncers when they try and sneak in the local for fags/booze.

Thank Post
    Internet missue first offence:
    1. Blocked from using the internet
    2. Dressing down by Assistsant Head

Internet missue second offence:
    2. Dressing down by head

Internet missue third offence:
    2. Parents called into school for meeting with the head.

Never had to go beyond this........yet

Thank Post
    Depends on the severity, but we range from banning internet access to an outright ban from the network. The student then has to go see their head of year or head of the dept they were abusing to have access restored. The cost of any physical damage to equipment is passed along to the parents

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    @KWestos:
    Don't expect anything stronger than these examples as children are so looked after nowaday's, even the woman (Esther Ransen) openly admits that what she started years ago has been turned on it's head and taken to the extremes.
    As far as children are concerned in this country they have become protected beyond the necessary.
    There has been talks about bringing back the cane in extreme cases, being debated throughout the country at the moment so i heard on the radio the other day.

Before anybody goes there I am not in favour of any physical punishment but do think that society has made a rod for it's own back by mollycoddling children especially the ones who disrupt and use violence for their own ends then complain bitterly at their own civil rights being abused. I feel anyone who violates another human beings rights does not deserve to be treat by the same rules.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    1) Reduction of internet privs to only an approved white list
    2) Full loss if internet privs, letter home to parents
    3) Account disabled (quickly overturned by staff / SMT "They have to do their coursework")

Sadly no action any more serious than above, so they get a lecture from me at how if they were adults and worked in my company they'd be sacked.
    We tried that! Got it approved by SMT until the first example of'

"How am i meant to teach if..........."

Thank Post
    Its a difficult one, taking internet off them or not allowing them to use a computer are not really doable.

Only last week some minister was saying an internet connected computer is as important now as a pen and paper, and i think he is right.

With so many lessons requiring it revolving around having computer/internet access a new means of punishment is needed. We stopped the removing internet access years ago, just was not workable as next lesson teacher would be moaning that pupil x cannot get on and its needed for her/his lesson.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KWestos View Post
    AAAAHHHHHH!

What are they like.

I have just started disabling pupils accounts for using the email as a chat forum in class. And as soon as we find a little darling looking for games, off the internet they go for 2 weeks. If they do it again, off for 6 weeks.

Do you think this is fair?
    We used to do that but this year we have given up to it. IMHO a banning culture seems to achieve little. We used to get staff saying "they need access for such and such a lesson" and to be honest you have little choice but to allow them back on in those circumstances.

What I have done here is made ICT "offences" much more in line with the normal code of conduct in school - so playing games etc earns them a disicpline slip (all done via SIMS) just like messing around in a lesson would, vandalism is usually letters home and a bill for repairs (again this is what we do if they break a window or door). The upshot is that we are trying to embed the culture that ICT matters are no different than other matters around the place.

The net result is this puts the onus on staff not us to police things. All in all it seems more successful than banning lots of kids.

Thank Post
    first offence: restricted to internet allowed list of approved sites ( 2 weeks )

second offence/more serious offence: proxy setting knobbled redirected to web page that reads as following.

YOUR INTERNET ACCESS HAS BEEN REMOVED.

FOR THIS TO HAVE HAPPENED, YOU MUST HAVE DONE SOMETHING WRONG WHEN ALREADY GIVEN RESTRICTED INTERNET ACCESS.

FOR EXAMPLE, IF YOU SEARCHED FOR SOMETHING INAPPROPRIATE, YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN RESTRICTED INTERENT USE. IF YOU THEN TRY TO BYPASS THIS BY USING SOMEONE ELSES’S PASSWORD, YOUR INTERNET ACCESS IS REMOVED.

YOU WILL HAVE NO INTERNET ACCESS FOR 2 WEEKS FROM THE DATE OF THE SECOND OFFENCE.

PLEASE READ THE ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY WHICH YOU AGREE TO EVERYTIME YOU LOG ON TO THE NETWORK.

plus we have securus so it is sometimes handy to threaten to send a print out of what they have been looking at home to parents.

Thank Post
    Do all schools have these written down in a policy or just deal with incidents of the top of your head? I think it would be best to get a policy written and for the students to sign an AUP if you haven't already done so, so the students know what they can and can't do and what the punishment would be if they commit an offence.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by e_g_r View Post
    We tried that! Got it approved by SMT until the first example of'

"How am i meant to teach if..........."
    Yes we got that a lot when we banned kids, so now we don't except in the most extreme circumstances.

Teachers are told to deal with computer miss-use in the same way as they would miss use of other equipment, and issue the same sort of punishments such as dententions etc. They also report the student to me and I will have a quick look through the web logs to see what they've been doing (since 90% of miss-use is being on sites they shouldn't be) and ban any sites that have slipped through the net.

Persistant offenders will find themselves on a restricted internet whitelist for a term, with a SMT detention and a letter home to parents.

Vandalism to equipment is again dealt with using punishments other than banning them, letters are sent home, often parents are asked to attend a meeting, and sometimes costs are passed on if we have firm evidence such as CCTV images.

Only in extreme circumstances are pupils banned from using the system, and this has to be sanctioned by the principal or learning systems leader, and parents are called in for a meeting. We treat this as a serious offence in our school. Basically the only thing that would trigger this reaction would be deliberate destruction of ICT equipment (like the kid who threw a laptop down a star case) persistant vandalism, or if we caught a student attempting to 'hack' or compromise the system, in which case we may invite our local police officer to attend to put the frightners on a bit.

Mike

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast