+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, BSF/PFI thread on ICTTechnician.com in General; An interesting thread with experience of people that have gone through it and are going through it ... http://icttechnician.com/groupee/for...1/m/9721038431...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 1,134 Posts
    Blog Entries

BSF/PFI thread on ICTTechnician.com

An interesting thread with experience of people that have gone through it and are going through it ...

http://icttechnician.com/groupee/for...1/m/9721038431

Thank Post

Re: BSF/PFI thread on ICTTechnician.com

Nice thread

What were the costs and other headaches of setting up a Union? Just out of interest.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 1,134 Posts
    Blog Entries

First thing is involving lawyers .... say no more. This was part of a conversation asking about this with itSMF about 4 years ago after I enquired about whether they could recommend a union or has one ever been set up just for techies ...

Next involves accountants ....

Then you have consultants ....

By then all the members have remortgaged their homes.

Thank Post

Interesting thread. I am currently in a state of misguided denial about BSF! It seems crazy that schools are being given a financial incentive to make an IT procurement decision which simply wouldn't stand up on its own merits. This gov't clearly has a hard-on for private business whether it's cost effective or not.

From that thread:

Also what swayed it was the cost....

The BSF/PFS only pays for a portion.. the further years of Managed Services are funded by the School...
    I'd be interested to see some numbers on that to get an idea of what the ongoing costs are.

Pinning information down beyond "visions" and "potential" seems to be pretty difficult with BSF until the brown stuff hits the spinny thing. Their website for example has no section covering support staff (someone in here or schools-it brought this up) and the documentation is mostly woolly tosh about becoming e-confident with e-learning in e-schools.

I have sifted the Wave 2 overview document (MSWord .doc) from the BSF site and the main area of concern for me was this paragraph:

"All BSF schools will need to have ICT provision that enables effective curriculum delivery. It is proposed to procure a managed ICT service for all BSF schools, and the LEP will be expected to provide for the effective integration of ICT provision with school buildings at all levels - in design and planning, in procurement and installation, and in ongoing service delivery. It will need to demonstrate how this will be achieved in its proposals for new projects."
    With rose-tinted specs you might say that the LEAs could push all school IT support departments to provide/meet an SLA and that would meet the "ongoing service delivery" bit. In reality, they'll be in partnership with private companies who'll see the support contract as a fat, juicy cheque that they don't want to miss out on. My concern is that by going down the FITS / SLA route in school now I might just be packaging my staff up ready for an external company to one-up our SLA and take us over.

It worries me from self-interest, quality of service and value-for-money perspectives.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

ok interesting thing from helpdesk show in terms they have already gone through out sourcing period and now are starting to take teams that where outsourced back in house....

so i wonder if bsf will do that we will have 5 years of bsf and then schools will start to move it back in-house...

russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

so i wonder if bsf will do that we will have 5 years of bsf and then schools will start to move it back in-house...
    Sounds like a long winded way to re-negotiage my pay.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm staying on the fence on this one until we have seen the contract winners in operation for a year. Some will be excellent, some will be average and some will be appalling. I suspect that oone of the things not taken into account
    when the contracts were drawn up is a schools special demands on ICT and bidding parties have only delt with corporate entites in the past.
    We shall see.

Thank Post

Having worked 30 years in industry for an IT company that ran a multi-billion dollar outsourcing services organisation I struggle to see where the companies providing the ICT services for school will make a profit without a) degrading the level of service schools get or b) significantly increasing the cost of service delivery. Both of these options will impact upon schools.

In the short term some schools may see a better level of service because they will be 'forced' to spend money on ICT as part of the BSF provision but those schools that have been enlightened enough to invest in ICT historically will suffer in the long term. The model proposed for BSF transfers ownership (& employment) of ICT support staff from the schools to a third party, and schools may no longer be able to count on having their ICT support provided by people who have an intimate knowledge of their environment.

Even though it seems increasingly likely that the status quo is not an option under BSF, we have an important role to play; that is to positively support our schools in ensuring they get the best deal they can, we need to ensure that school SMT are informed enough to ask the right questions and demand the level of service they need during contract negotiations, otherwise the contracts will be ill defined, leaving the outsourcing companies plenty of room to avoid commitment and allow them scope to come back for more money!

Be under no illusions though, this is not going to be a comfortable time for anyone working in ICT service delivery in schools.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Sounds like a long winded way to re-negotiage my pay.
    Maybe its the only way the govt have of getting schools to conform to some kind of standards. http://www.becta.org.uk/subsections/...astructure.pdf

Thank Post

I kept thinking that the RM KS3 pilots were actually piloting an IT delivery system for when RM takes on some of these contracts - it'd be a lot easier to support remotely, and the PCs would be completely locked down.

Mebbe I'm just too cynical.

Thank Post

I kept thinking that the RM KS3 pilots were actually piloting an IT delivery system for when RM takes on some of these contracts - it'd be a lot easier to support remotely, and the PCs would be completely locked down.
    Thin clients would be the way forward with this. I should imagine thats what Sun Microsystems will do in Bradford.
    RM just aren't that forward thinking.

Thank Post

I struggle to see where the companies providing the ICT services for school will make a profit without a) degrading the level of service schools get or b) significantly increasing the cost of service delivery. Both of these options will impact upon schools.
    In light of this article:
    http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...rticle&sid=214

whats the chances Microsoft will do the same - Run BSF schools but treat schools as a loss-leader in order to propagate MS products for future business (eg Xbox,IE,MediaPlayer).

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    I struggle to see where the companies providing the ICT services for school will make a profit without a) degrading the level of service schools get or b) significantly increasing the cost of service delivery. Both of these options will impact upon schools.
    In light of this article:
    http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...rticle&sid=214

whats the chances Microsoft will do the same - Run BSF schools but treat schools as a loss-leader in order to propagate MS products for future business (eg Xbox,IE,MediaPlayer).
    Microsoft already controls most software decision making in schools with cut price Windows and Office licencing in schools, and student licences for home use. Sadly, many schools aren't interested in exploring alternatives like OpenOffice, thin client either as they see no evidence of its widespread use in industry.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread