+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Attempting to compile definitive SharePoint 2007 licensing information in General; I am trying to work out the definitive list of licenses needed to host a SharePoint server for internal and ...
    Thank Post

Attempting to compile definitive SharePoint 2007 licensing information

I am trying to work out the definitive list of licenses needed to host a SharePoint server for internal and external access (MOSS2007).

I've heard back from Microsoft on all but one issue, the clarification of the terms that state

"If you are creating an Internet- or Extranet-facing website, it is recommended that you use Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 for Internet sites. This license does not require the purchase of Client Access Licenses. However, all content, information, and applications on the “Internet Sites” edition must be accessible to non-employees. Websites hosted using an “Internet Sites” edition cannot be accessed by employees creating, sharing, or collaborating on content which is solely for internal use only, such as an intranet portal scenario. Here are some usage scenarios to help you determine when to use which edition:"

I'm trying to find out what happens if you license one server for both internal and external users.

This list is based on the fact that licensing both means it's OK to have different access levels.

The scenario

Users:
    Staff (150)
    Students (1100)
    Parents/Other Parties (2300)

Servers:
    Sharepoint
    Exchange (Mail available through SLG)
    SQL (Accessed by SLG - I assume)

Licenses Required:

SharePoint Server:
    MOSS 2007
    MOSS 2007 For internet sites
    150 MOSS CALs
    Windows 2003 External Connector (users are authenticated)
    150 Server 2003 CALs

SQL Server
    SQL Per processor license
    Windows 2003 External Connector

Exchange Server:
    150 Exchange CALs (ONLY staff members connecting, so no EC).

Any servers also accessed by the SharePoint server could need ECs/CALs

ECs and CALs also apply to other VLEs such as Moodle accessing an internal Windows file server (see Microsofts multiplexing guidance http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ltiplexing.doc)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,323 Times in 812 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    However, all content, information, and applications on the “Internet Sites” edition must be accessible to non-employees.
    thats a worrying point...

I think you're fully licensed- but with the moodle integration, if any data processed by sharepoint is available through the VLE, then you need to be licensed for everyone with access to the VLE - at least thats how i understood it.

However, I imagine you would have a license for all students/staff - its the parental side also thats a bit confusing - if you give them access.

Thank Post
    I just added the bit about using something like Moodle to access a Windows server as it relates to the multiplexing license stuff.

Thank Post
    Oh, I am currently licensed for on site use through schools agreement, however these are device CALs not user. So this will affect what extra CALs you may need

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You know when people say "It's not rocket science"? Well, MS licensing might not be rocket science but I reckon most people would find it easier to build a rocket for a trip to Mars than understanding MS licensing for something like this!

Good luck - I'm afraid you'll need it.

Thank Post
    AH HA!

Got a reply from MS RE: The mixing of both licenses.

When MOSS 2007 was first released, it was indeed the case you could only have one license type per physical machine, so it would have needed to have no restricted parts when using FIS license.

This has since changed, but the FAQ page is outdated and does not reflect this.

After the complains it seems MS gave in and let you use both licenses to get int/external access in the way we want to use it.

Still all those license are going to cost around £9k before software assurance

Thank Post
    Well, thanks to ZH finding a Student CAL option I've gone back to not having any damn clue

I can see that the Students CALs are for student owned machines or machines bought/assigned to specific students.

I don't know how this would relate to the license grant here http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...er-student.DOC

More email to MS! They didn't mention the Student CAL

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread