+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, IT Managers on SLT? in General; Are any of you guys on your school SLT (or equivalent) and if so, what's your title?...
    Thank Post

IT Managers on SLT?

Are any of you guys on your school SLT (or equivalent) and if so, what's your title?
    Last edited by KWestos; 25th September 2008 at 09:38 PM.

Thank Post
    Grumbledook is/was Director of IT at his school sitting on SLT.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    My boss is an assistant head, his title is 'network manager'.
    There is a lot of fixation about titles on this forum, but they don't mean anything.
    Pay is determined by the level of responsibility, not the title. In reality my boss doesn't manage the network he manages the people and the budget.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yep ... Director of IT. Presently I am away from the school on a 12 months secondment to the LA and my job has been spread out over 6 people, including the Business Manager and Network Manager (BM has taken over the SLT lead for IT Support, and between the pair of them they do budget and infrastructure strategy), the Head of ICT is the acting Director of ICT and now has full control of curriculum (including the links into all the other departments), pretty much all data is done by the timetabler / data analyst / reports guru (also an ICT teacher from a Comp Studies and stats background) and the 2nd in ICT is head of Online Engagement and links into the website, eLearning, etc ... but things are still flexible as people fit into the roles left and swap things aruond.

The Network Manager who is level D on the Becta Technical Competencies framework ... so yes, I was budgets, strategy, policy and leadership, whilst only doing minimal hands-on and he put into place my decisions.

Do you mean they are a teacher who has the title of IT Manager (or former teacher) or that they have come up purely through the technical or managerial route? For information, I am from the technical route.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    My boss is an assistant head, his title is 'network manager'.
    There is a lot of fixation about titles on this forum, but they don't mean anything.
    Pay is determined by the level of responsibility, not the title. In reality my boss doesn't manage the network he manages the people and the budget.
    That's not really true. Many LEAs link a title with a pay scale. Sure, you can change pay scales if your responsibility increases, but initially a 'Network Manager' is linked to a particular scale, a 'Network Technician' likewise.

There's a fixation on titles due to the fact many schools use them in order to keep the pay for those staff members low. There are many examples on this site of people who are doing a Network Manager's job but are only 'Senior Technician' or even 'Technician'.

As to the OP's question - I'm not on the SLT here (I'm the NM) but my manager (Assistant Head (Resources)) is.

6. Thanks to localzuk from:

fathead (17th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Seems to be very hard for NM's to get to SLT without any teaching qualifications or experience.

Grumbledook is the exception rather than the rule I recon.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I suspect it depends on how they try to portray themselves and the "vision" they can give the rest of management.

If someone only ever talks about layer 3 switches and the advantages of admx over adm files then they're unlikely to have a place at SLT level. If they talk about how ICT can be used to help learners, improve learning and to support teachers and teaching then that's more likely to make an impact.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    That's not really true. Many LEAs link a title with a pay scale.
    It is incorrect for a LA to do this. Mismatched jobs is one of the reasons employers have to do job evaluations (equal pay audits) as it protects them from equal pay claims. Titles are not considered at all in equal pay claims, only the level of work and the responsibility (or accountability) that it entails.
    What the LA should do is link the pay spine with the JE, and if they wish link a title to that.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    Seems to be very hard for NM's to get to SLT without any teaching qualifications or experience.

Grumbledook is the exception rather than the rule I recon.
    Yep. From conversations with SSAT etc, we reckon there are about 20 - 30 of us around England, most of which have entered into some teaching as part of it.

It is more common for the Business Manager / Bursar to be on the SLT. In fact there are a few members who are doing the Business Managers' course so they can move into SLT as Business Manager (if not there already) but having come from a technical background.

It this level you really are a Manager, with little hands on (unfortunately) and your day tends to be filled with awkward pauses between meetings ... some of which are long enough to get some paperwork done!

Thank Post
    Yep. From conversations with SSAT etc, we reckon there are about 20 - 30 of us around England, most of which have entered into some teaching as part of it.
    If someone only ever talks about layer 3 switches and the advantages of admx over adm files then they're unlikely to have a place at SLT level. If they talk about how ICT can be used to help learners, improve learning and to support teachers and teaching then that's more likely to make an impact.
    Interestingly the Becta report on managed services had a telling insight into this, it said something along the lines that managed service providers speak more in terms of learning outcomes. In house NM's focus too much on the technical side and don't 'sell' their services to SLT.No wonder there are so few NM's who get promoted, SLT need to see the benefits in terms that they understand.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    That's not really true. Many LEAs link a title with a pay scale. Sure, you can change pay scales if your responsibility increases, but initially a 'Network Manager' is linked to a particular scale, a 'Network Technician' likewise.

There's a fixation on titles due to the fact many schools use them in order to keep the pay for those staff members low. There are many examples on this site of people who are doing a Network Manager's job but are only 'Senior Technician' or even 'Technician'.

As to the OP's question - I'm not on the SLT here (I'm the NM) but my manager (Assistant Head (Resources)) is.
    Indeed currently in the process of getting my title changed for this very reason.

Not after more money just getting a bit anxious over getting screwed on single status.

In the situation where I need to send the LEA a job spec etc.

As for SLT I'm on a Leadership Group which meets every 3 weeks and consists of SLT and some TAs. (Not sure how useful this group actually is, early days yet)
    Last edited by CheeseDog; 26th September 2008 at 10:11 AM.

Thank Post
    Nope, but they sure do like telling me how to do IT stuff

Thank Post
    I'm not on the top level SLT, but here we have a sub group called SLICT and Infrastructure Development which has the top level SLT, myself, the Bursar and the Site Development Officer. Staff are aware of our position in the hierarchal structure, although one or two do have a problem with this!

Thank Post
    I am on the SMT with the title ICT Development Manager.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Now officially left the school (well, official date is 1st December but still at the LA) and my post has been dropped, but rolled out between multiple people. The biggest change is the Head is taking on more of the developments with technology, the Business Manager has become a vice-principal (deputy head) and the Network Manager has taken on more of my work with strategy and design.

It works well for them, and my time in the role moved them on a fair chunk of the way but the technology is there ... use of it now needs more systemic change in the school driven by a new development plan.

You could say I did myself out of a job but made the NM job a better one in return.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast