+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, IT Managers on SLT? in General; SMT here with title of SLICT (Strategic leader of ICT ) In short manage the network and any other communications ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 753 Posts
    SMT here with title of SLICT (Strategic leader of ICT)
    In short manage the network and any other communications systems plus the strategic development of the whole school ICT infrastructure and external groups with the task of bringing it all together within a budget framework which I have to cost and manage.

I also have a number of brooms attached to my person which when I walk through the school covers a variety of duties.

I have a great wingman though in my accomplice "webman" and between us we pretty much have it sorted.

2. Thanks to bossman from:

webman (18th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Not on SLT, but may as well be - some of the meetings I've been to this week, jeeeez, it like talking another language.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Not on SLT, but may as well be - some of the meetings I've been to this week, jeeeez, it like talking another language.
    Oh yes ... and people thought I was joking when talked about manglement speak at the EG conference many moons ago !!! It gets worse the further up you go. Never sit in on a meeting between heads, LA folk and DCSF.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Oh yes ... and people thought I was joking when talked about manglement speak at the EG conference many moons ago !!! It gets worse the further up you go. Never sit in on a meeting between heads, LA folk and DCSF.
    This was a meeting concerning our new build, so we had myself, business manager, one of our sponsors, the head of ICT from our sponsors company, Representitves from an IT consutants we're employing, our building contractors and arechtects and a Rep from KCC.

I've not yet worked out what we achieved in the 2 hours I was there.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A trick to use is to ask if people mind if you use a digital dictaphone (I use voxie on my iPhone) to record things as you don't want to misconstrue any of the building or managerial terms used.

It tends to result in people speaking plain english for the first few meetings and only using manglement speak for specific things (where it is quicker to use it as terminology) and you get used to translating on the fly.

by the 3rd or 4th meeting you are used to it and can switch between one or the other ... the hard job is to then translate it to teachers!

Thank Post
    Yep I'm SMT/SLT as ICT/MIS mgr. Lots of long hours, long words and short acronyms. Can't now imagine not being able to voice the IT perspective or lead school development initiatives from a technology perspective. In my mind, really understanding the IT is essential to management - the corporal world has been on this for years with management consultant, change manager and IT architect really being roled into one.
    In many schools I have seen, managers have come up via IT either systems or academic paths because IT people tend to have to take a whole school perspective on everything and therefore make better leadership candidates as they see the big picture.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post

I also have a number of brooms attached to my person which when I walk through the school covers a variety of duties.
    Sounds like one of them is Caretaker then if you have many brooms attached to your person I have large bunch of keys attached to my person thus Site Manager is one of mine

I'm not one, but my manager is, but I do have an excellent relationship with all of the SLT so if they needed anything quickly they just ask me and have it direct which works well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12