+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What do you think you're worth? in General; Are you happy with your salary or do you think you deserve more (or less) for the job you do? ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

What do you think you're worth?

Are you happy with your salary or do you think you deserve more (or less) for the job you do?

I reckon I should be paid another 5k for the work I do and the loyalty & commitment the school gets out of me - I've been here longer than most of the staff now.

Thank Post
    i'm probaby being paid what i'm worth at the moment. Obviously it's not enough to live on in rip off britain, but that's another thread isn't it...

I'm hoping i'm a year or 18 months away from being worth a hell of a lot more to a prospective employer.....but then i said that 12 months ago and i'm not that much further on. But this time it's different. honest

Thank Post
    Hmmmm .... tough one.
    I think I would rather get paid peanuts and enjoy what I did rather than chase after the money (as some of my friends have done). Having said that, I could do with a pay rise!

Thank Post
    I suppose the majority of people would like a payrise, but on the grand scheme of things I'm happy with what I earn. But the school does recognise and value the staff and the majority of support staff here are on decent pay, compared to a lot of other schools. The school is aware that it is far better to keep someone they know and will work then let them leave and bring an unknown in.

Thank Post
    I'd like to think I'm worth more especially when you see other "non teaching staff" earning more for doing what is perceived as less.

Go figure.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,396 Times in 1,688 Posts
    I look at it this way: could anyone else in my organisation do my job? - No
    Could I do anyone else's? Definitely the TAs, office and admin staff. I could do some of the teaching as well - not to a 'good teacher' standard but I could make a reasonable job of it.
    So..I should be paid less than a good teacher, but more than everyone else.
    Which I am - but I think my pay needs to be nearer that of a teacher.
    Frankly, the salary is so bad that only someone who
    a) still lives at home, or
    b) has another, larger income coming into the household
    could possibly manage on it.

7. 2 Thanks to witch:

tech_guy (20th September 2008), zag (22nd September 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,571 Times in 1,251 Posts
    It's difficult to quantify really. I believe qualifications in IT do go some distance, but I think it's the expertise you can offer which is the ultimate selling point.

If I had the choice, I would employ/hire someone with 10 years of IT experience with examples of what they have managed in that period, rather than someone who's highly qualified from uni with no experience whatsoever.

Books teach you basics; real life experiences teach you a great deal more. Remember if you want real promotion, don't be afraid to apply for other jobs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It's difficult to quantify really. I believe qualifications in IT do go some distance, but I think it's the expertise you can offer which is the ultimate selling point.

If I had the choice, I would employ/hire someone with 10 years of IT experience with examples of what they have managed in that period, rather than someone who's highly qualified from uni with no experience whatsoever.

Books teach you basics; real life experiences teach you a great deal more. Remember if you want real promotion, don't be afraid to apply for other jobs.
    Hire me!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,912 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Considering my workload, and the amount of knowledge I have, and the effort I put in, I reckon another £5k would be about right for my job.

11. Thanks to localzuk from:

tech_guy (20th September 2008)

Thank Post
    Notwithstanding the amount of experience, skill, knowledge and expertise that a person may have, they are only worth whatever an employer is willing to pay. It goes without saying that in education very few employers understand the real worth of the IT department's work.

13. Thanks to leco from:

Thank Post
    I'm happy with what I get, however I think it should go further. My beef is with the government and not my employers, who are ironically the government.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I look at it this way: could anyone else in my organisation do my job? - No
    Could I do anyone else's? Definitely the TAs, office and admin staff. I could do some of the teaching as well - not to a 'good teacher' standard but I could make a reasonable job of it.
    So..I should be paid less than a good teacher, but more than everyone else.
    Which I am - but I think my pay needs to be nearer that of a teacher.
    Frankly, the salary is so bad that only someone who
    a) still lives at home, or
    b) has another, larger income coming into the household
    could possibly manage on it.

i often think like that....i see person a getting paid nearly double what i earn without having to put in half the effort in.....

and i say to myself well obviously it's right i'm earning more person x in the admin, and i SHOULD be earning more than most of the teaching staff, and then i think well there's a reason the teachers are paid more....a school without teachers ?....

But ultimately i'm wrong on all accounts, the more i think about it the more i realise that what people are paid is down to many factors - most of these factors are arbitary, and that for every profession there's someone somewhere or an employment sector out there willing to renumerate them well.....

Analysing ones worth in comparison to other roles in a school is self-defeating, if an IT pro can wangle there way to a senior position at 40k they've done very well....but for most of us those sorts of salary jumps mean looking elsewhere. Because no matter how good we become or how much we contribute some things just aren't on the cards. Ever.

For a young IT pro the knack is to know when it's the right time to move on, so as to maximise earnings potential. You can earn good money, enjoy what you do and progress while still progressing your salary in more than slow drips. I was earning 12k a year 8 years ago and loving what i was doing....but i wasn't earning 12k for very long i promise you....i'm not that much of a slave to the enjoyment of the job.
    Last edited by torledo; 20th September 2008 at 12:08 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    For a young IT pro the knack is to know when it's the right time to move on, so as to maximise earnings potential. You can earn good money, enjoy what you do and progress while still progressing your salary in more than slow drips. I was earning 12k a year 8 years ago and loving what i was doing....but i wasn't earning 12k for very long i promise you....i'm not that much of a slave to the enjoyment of the job.
    I can whole hartedly back that up. 5 years ago I started my educational ICT support journey as network manager of a middle school with 200 computers to look after on a salery of 12.5k. Network manager was merely a job title, as it was just me on my own, I didn't really manage anything, just basically did what was asked of me. Had a pay rise while there, but decided to move on after 2 years to a technician role at a large secondary on a better salery. Worked my way up to 'development engineer' in this school and there was a pay rise for me there as well, but I reached as far as I could go in that position and decided after 2.5 years to move on again.

I'm now network manager of a small academy school, on more than double what I started my first ICT support job at 5 years ago, and above all else on the whole I really enjoy my job. I think this is a fair rate for the job I do. There's no doubt I wouldn't have achieved salery wise and knowledge wise what I have in 5 years had I not moved on when the time was right. I learned so much more by moving on to new places than I ever would have by staying in one, and have made a lot of new friends and met lots of interesting people in all the places I've worked. Stay in one place too long and it can become mundane and for want of a better word, boring.

Mike.
    Last edited by maniac; 20th September 2008 at 12:59 AM.

17. Thanks to maniac from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    It goes without saying that in education very few employers understand the real worth of the IT department's work.
    I think for S Wales and what I do I'm paid a fair wage, especially as my hours are 8-4 and I get 29 days leave a year. Industry would probably be a lot different (unless you're v lucky!)!

I think our place is just starting to realise what we do, as we're three weeks into the new year and we still don't have all the IT kit up and running in the new school. I wasn't allowed to buy in support so two of us are setting up all the old and new kit we have. Our LEA helped us move the old kit at the new school but that's all the help we've had! I've done one weekend, but quite frankly I'm so knackered by Friday that another weekend is out of the question, especially as overtime is unheard of.........

Apologies for going OT............

19. Thanks to joe90bass from:

Thank Post
    I think I do OK - I get a decent salary, lots of extra curricular stuff to do, 9 or 10 weeks off a year and feel very much valued, supported and appreciated by staff at the school. I also work less than a mile away from home and get to live in the Lake District. Pretty good overall package I think.

If I look at jobs within 100 miles of here I rarely find one that would give me an overall better deal so I'm pretty satisfied. Only thing for me is I've been here for 9 years and feel I need a change - trouble is I am also now addicted to long hols and most places I look I'd be back to standard hols!

21. Thanks to jcollings from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast