+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, What do you think you're worth? in General; Originally Posted by laserblazer What am I worth? SFA it would seem. I'm a county swimmer and L1 coach and ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    What am I worth? SFA it would seem. I'm a county swimmer and L1 coach and I've been taking the kids swimming for the last 8 years. Suddenly someone has twigged that I'm not a qualified teacher and so I shouldn't be taking them on my own. So they are going to have to allocate a teacher, who probably knows nothing about swimming and they will have to be a minibus driver as well because I don't think I can justify the time any more.
    Why not just let the teacher drive the minibus, do some crowd control, and sit and do some 'marking' while you carry on teaching the kids how to swim?
    Last edited by somabc; 22nd September 2008 at 10:25 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    Why not just let the teacher drive the minibus, do some crowd control, and sit and do some 'marking' while you carry on teaching the kids how to swim?
    A sense of misplaced pride I guess! It smacks of a lack of trust in my abilities. Also, we have very few staff who have a minibus driving permit and I would rather do the driving than let most of those behind the wheel!

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I left my last job in industry because I felt I wasn't getting paid enough to ever move out of my parents house. It turned out that when I handed in my resignation letter the company were happy to offer me a 10 thousand pound pay rise on the spot and a company car!! Its funny how things work out but I still ended up leaving and taking a job in education.

So my advice is change jobs often and increase your pay and conditions each time, each job should be better than the last. If you are good enough then it wont take long to reach the top of your chosen profession and you will get paid accordingly.

I've also never accepted the offered wage in a job interview, I've always said I will think about it and then request something better. If an employer really wants you, they wont have a problem bumping up the wage to get you to accept the job. Doing this will make a huge difference over the lifetime of your job, especially in schools where there is no yearly pay review like in most industries.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ittech View Post
    I left my last job in industry because I felt I wasn't getting paid enough to ever move out of my parents house. It turned out that when I handed in my resignation letter the company were happy to offer me a 10 thousand pound pay rise on the spot and a company car!! Its funny how things work out but I still ended up leaving and taking a job in education.

The same thing happened to me, I mentioned I was going for a job interview and a payrise that was meant to have been actioned over two months previously was magically mentioned and agreed. When i went for the interview and was offered the job they offered to max out my paygrade to keep me, but there was still a fair difference in pay but apparently "jobby valuation" would give me more money, but I couldn't see the county standardising all its techs on a higher grade so I went for the new job. My current wages are only sustainable because I live at home, if I wanted to rent somewhere and move out i'd not be able to do it on my current pay.

Thank Post
    I'm worth twice as much as they pay me and half as much I think I should be paid

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123