+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, kids needing full access for IT lessons in General; Our IT teacher says that as part of the course the kids need access to things such as the desktop, ...
    Thank Post

kids needing full access for IT lessons

Our IT teacher says that as part of the course the kids need access to things such as the desktop, recycle bins, right click and many other features that we turn off. Apparently they have to use these and produce evidence of use for their course.

Have any of you come accross this and how did you facilitate it?

Suppose i'll end up having to create an OU in AD with weaker policies as well as a new workstation profile.

Thank Post
    It's the first I've heard. Anyway, I've just completed deploying a VirtualPC image with a single user that has full functionality, but uses SteadyState to reset it each boot. We're using it for ECDL tests, but you could do the same thing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by e_g_r View Post
    Our IT teacher says that as part of the course the kids need access to things such as the desktop, recycle bins, right click and many other features that we turn off. Apparently they have to use these and produce evidence of use for their course.

Have any of you come across this and how did you facilitate it?

Suppose i'll end up having to create an OU in AD with weaker policies as well as a new workstation profile.
    Nope, what course are they doing? I would contact the examinations board for the course and get them to clarify requirements to you.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by e_g_r View Post

Have any of you come accross this and how did you facilitate it?

Actually we had this last year for part of a course, although don't ask me which one it was.

We created one special username which all the kids used that had a specially written group policy that allowed them to do what they needed. This was setup to only log on in one specific room, and enabled only at the time they needed it. One of us also supervised the lesson when they did these activities and watched for kids doing things that wern't on the course.

It worked ok, apart from us having to re-adjust screen resolutions back to what they used to be, as part of the course was changing the screen settings.

Mike.

5. Thanks to maniac from:

e_g_r (9th September 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    I was certainly under the impression that QCA approved courses are not allowed to be technology (vendor) specific. what course is this? It must be an industry qualification

Thank Post
    We get this request for adult ed courses. To get round it we created a virtual PC image that was basically unlocked and let them use that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I was certainly under the impression that QCA approved courses are not allowed to be technology (vendor) specific. what course is this? It must be an industry qualification
    I have no idea what the course was, I wasn't directly involved myself in that particular 'project' and I've since left that school, so I can't really find out now. It could well have been an industry qualification of some sort.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Sounds like something an exam board would come up with but have no idea how feasible it is to do in a school environment.

We had something similar a couple of years back and we provided laptops to students so they could do the edit desktop, run search, change resolution type questions.

Thank Post
    I would certainly ask to see the curriculum. The teacher may have some misconceptions about how the course is supposed to go. But I would use VirtualBox machines and accounts with mandatory profiles. Surely you allow your teachers to right click etc so I would house the account in that OU.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Sounds like something an exam board would come up with but have no idea how feasible it is to do in a school environment.
    I doubt if they'd get something like this through QCA approval though, needing right-click, desktops could exclude entire technologies. what if the school had a suite full of mac's for example or had invested in hundreds of eeepc's that have no desktops!.
    IMO no GCSE/Alevel course should focus on any manufacturers system.

Thank Post
    we had a handful of old machines that were built standalone to allow kids to do this sort of stuff, they just had usb sticks to get the screens off....low tech compared to the virtualpc solution, but works.

Chris

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    @ChrisC: we have done exactly the same thing, standalone in every ICTsuite to allow the students to fulfil the exam board criteria.

Thank Post
    I would create a virtual machine for all of this and deploy the image / VM software around.

Thank Post
    Could maybe use SteadyState....

Thank Post
    Having a nightmare with this at the moment as I can't get VMWare to package easily. I don't think it is as specific as right click and that we have been asked for things like changing the resolution, setting up a network card etc nothing hardware locked in.

Is VPC easy to package up?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast