+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, kids needing full access for IT lessons in General; Strangly enough I've just come accross this with an OCR course we are running this year. There seems to be ...
    Thank Post
    Strangly enough I've just come accross this with an OCR course we are running this year. There seems to be a whole load of stuff the kids need to do for evidence but we have disabled it (and have done for years now)

One member of staff has decided to be creative with it to help us out (i.e. so we dont have to change any policies) but this seems to be becoming a growing issue.

Unfortunatly with my current happiness with this school, I'd rather give everyone admin access just to stop the constant whinging (and no, we are not overally strict with our policies)

Thank Post

Here's what we did

Here at my college, I created a specific user keyed to a specific lab and it's computers. When I get a call from Adult Ed or DGCE about night classes or non-credit classes, I activate the account in AD, and give it a specific login time and expiration time, as well as an end date for when the account "expires". I don't worry about machine settings because 1) That's Help Desk's arena, and 2) We use Deep Freeze to reset everything on reboot.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Our Director of ICT asked for this the other day just the right click that we normally block them from doing. we have allowed them to do it in the end..

James.

Edit: ours is the OCR course also

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by e_g_r View Post
    Our IT teacher says that as part of the course the kids need access to things such as the desktop, recycle bins, right click and many other features that we turn off. Apparently they have to use these and produce evidence of use for their course.

Have any of you come accross this and how did you facilitate it?

Suppose i'll end up having to create an OU in AD with weaker policies as well as a new workstation profile.
    I setup a couple of stand alones! They then use a memory stick top copy screen shots off etc.

Has worked fine for the last 8 years of me being there. If you're worried they will install crap on it, then put something like Deepfreeze on it to make the hdd read-only.

Thank Post
    The problem with Virtual PC is no USB support (Or certainly none the last time I checked). Which means buying VMWare.

Standalone machine probably the best idea, set it up and get a ghost image.

We had the exact same request last year but the classroom in question now uses Deep Freeze so no problems there.

Thank Post
    We have a couple of old laptops setup for this situation, they are standalone.

7. Thanks to mullet_man from:

e_g_r (14th September 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by googlemad View Post
    The problem with Virtual PC is no USB support (Or certainly none the last time I checked). Which means buying VMWare.
    VirtualBox (or Sun xVM VirtualBox as it's now known) and the free VMWare Player both have USB support.

9. Thanks to Ric_ from:

Trapper (28th September 2008)

Thank Post
    Have had requests for search to be enabled and basic windows functions but never recycle bins or right clicks etc

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    I think its an OCR Nationals thingy I believe, never come across it with AQA or EdExcel before, but I haven't read the latest incarnation of the silibus recenty

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Wow!

I'm amazed at the negativity I'm reading here. It seems as if Edugeek is now solely used by people who see their jobs as making it difficult for anyone to use ICT in school.

How on earth can you expect teachers to be able to use the systems if you don't allow them to make basic changes to the OS? How can it be difficult to allow users to reset the screen resolution - just reset it at logon or reboot. How difficult to allow users to changes icons on the desktop (or whatever you call the "home" screen)? - just reset them at logoff/on.

The same goes for almost all changes that a user might make - this is nothing to do with being OS specfic. If you use Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Unix to do your job then you're going to want to make changes to the settings and schools ought to be showing their students how to do this and coping with the fact that they do.

As (fortunately!) several people have said you can do almost all of this with VMs and just a few bits need physical machines. You either do that with a sacrificial standalone or with machines where you make sure that things are reset when the user rebooots.

I always thought that the "edu" bit of Edugeek's name was there because this site is supposed to be something to do with education. I'd guess I was wrong and I'm rather sad to find that.

ajs

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I think its an OCR Nationals thingy I believe, never come across it with AQA or EdExcel before, but I haven't read the latest incarnation of the silibus recenty
    I've setup specific GPOs to allow our OCR students access to things like right click. Whether or not the course requires it, I don't know, but the SOW that the teachers have designed around the course have it.

Part of the BTEC ICT course that we ran for the last 2 years has needed access to the desktop, search, recycle bin etc.

Thank Post

look up these solutions

these are not free, but pretty good

cleanslate software

deep freeze software

and a reborn card for hardware, you can give them any permissions you like then over the machine, and all will be undone at next reboot

hope it helps

Thank Post

my take

Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post

How on earth can you expect teachers to be able to use the systems if you don't allow them to make basic changes to the OS? How can it be difficult to allow users to reset the screen resolution - just reset it at logon or reboot. How difficult to allow users to changes icons on the desktop (or whatever you call the "home" screen)? - just reset them at logoff/on.

The same goes for almost all changes that a user might make - this is nothing to do with being OS specfic. If you use Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Unix to do your job then you're going to want to make changes to the settings and schools ought to be showing their students how to do this and coping with the fact that they do.

in my view teachers 'use' computers the same way they 'use' the toilet, and they then leave it for someone to clean up the mess. I would love to be able to totally trash a system, and then have it quickly recovered to a 'new' state by someone .

ah wait thats me........ errr i think ??

Thank Post
    @srochford: Not all restrictions are put in place by the techs in the schools. Some of them come from the teachers who ask for restrictions to be put in place because they dont like the pupils fiddling with things when they should be working.

In my last place, I had almost got a complaint from the IT teacher as 1 pupil had changed her backdrop. Although it was reset when they logged out, it was still requested that a total lockdown was in place.

Thank Post
    We're looking at a couple of virtual PCs for this job.

@Ric - VirtualBox, I was racking my brains all Friday after trying to remember what that was called!

There are two things it needs to do: 1) Reset back to base settings after each use, and 2) Access USB.

VMware Player will access the USB ports, but doesn't support the snapshots.
    Virtual PC 2004 has snapshots, but no USB support.

I asked around for a couple of quotes for VMware Workstation, and almost choked on my tea! It's great software, but too expensive.

I'll give VirtualBox a try tonight and see if that can do what we need.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast