+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Employment Legalities in General; Hi all! I was already in a bad mood this morning after working my guts off all summer including weekends ...

Thank Post

Employment Legalities

Hi all!

I was already in a bad mood this morning after working my guts off all summer including weekends and evenings and my line manager came in today and said
    "We're getting a SIMS Manager in October".

I've had no notice of them taking SIMS administration off me, so what are the legalities on this?

I knew a while back they were getting a "Data Input Manager" but it appears to have changed to SIMS Manager.

I have worked hard to get the SIMS running PERFECT on our system and its now so stable I enjoy running it. I don't enjoy much else now as its all rubbish.

Good thing is it will take a little load off me, but I will still need to do
    SIMS workstation upgrades and server patches. (Which are obviously the worst parts of the SIMS job).

I think I am going to say, that person will have to do the lot. I can give a user to them to update sims workstations and they will have a code for deepfreeze to thaw pc's.

Any advice? Like I say just heard this morning and they are appointing the member of staff on 1st October.

No mention of a pay cut for me though. But mind you, I am subject to MRS pay review in October!

Thanks!
    Chris

Thank Post
    I think they can add/remove certain parts of your job at will. It may depend what your employment contract says but it normally it is something woolly such 'as ensuring the smooth running of IT in the School' rather than specific technical requirements. As your salary is not changing I think you will have little success raising the issue. It could however be used to establish a pattern at a tribunal, eg removing more & more responsibility until you are surplus to requirements.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisN-0123 View Post
    I think I am going to say, that person will have to do the lot. I can give a user to them to update sims workstations and they will have a code for deepfreeze to thaw pc's.
    Chris
    It is rubbish they didn't involve you in the discussion and I think it is sensible to try and seek some clarification as to what that postholder will do as "SIMS Manager" could cover a multitude of sins, however be careful with statements like the one above - at the end of the day if your boss says you are still doing the technical side of SIMS e.g updates etc then you're stuck with it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 793 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd say a sims manager is more likely to make sure data is up to date, timetable, set up reports, profiles, etc

You can't have someone coming and doing anything technical without a technical background - and it seems unlikely (to me) that a SIMS manager would be.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,632 Posts
    Are you sure this SIMS manager is going to be a techie?

Many schools apoint a "data manager" of some sort who is responsible for the content and integrity of MIS databases. However, the technical bits (like SIMS updates) get left to the IT department.

If the updates aren't left up to you... they will be after the new manager has had their first month in post!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    why don't you apply for the job?
    It sounds like you're in the best position to get it

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Many schools apoint a "data manager" of some sort who is responsible for the content and integrity of MIS databases. However, the technical bits (like SIMS updates) get left to the IT department.
    That's precisesly how it works in our school, one person looks after the data in SIMS, handing out usernames and passwords for it etc. and we take care of ensuring it's physically working on the machines. Personally I like it that way, as I really hate manipulating data, and using the clunky sims system manager program, so the less I have to do with it the better!

Mike.
    Last edited by maniac; 8th September 2008 at 07:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    That's precisesly how it works in our school, one person looks after the data in SIMS, handing out usernames and passwords for it etc. and we take care of ensuring it's physically working on the machines. Personally I like it that way, as I really hate manipulating data, and using the clunky sims system manager program, so the less I have to do with it the better!

Mike.
    Yep thats the way it works in most schools. SIMS manager does the data stuff and IT do the updates, work stations and backups.

Thank Post
    Same here! Chris i'd have a check just to make sure. It seems silly that they'd employ someone who is only going to look after one package in a techie role

Thank Post
    I'd say that this role is almost certainly a data admin type thingy (we have such a role here). They basically deal with many many things SIMS related, but actual server/workstation upgrades are still our domain.

I'd get clarification to be honest as it will have an effect on your job role.

Thank Post
    Also check if anything is being taken away from your job description. Ask what if anything you are now not responsible for.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread