+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Don't want to tempt fate but.. in General; today is probably the best first day of term I've ever had here! Aside from the 4 million students who ...

Thank Post

Don't want to tempt fate but..

today is probably the best first day of term I've ever had here!

Aside from the 4 million students who cant remember their passwords, there havent been too many problems at all. Even my new Mac network, that took up most of my summer, seems to be holding up well so far

This all shouldnt be a surprise, everything is just working as its supposed to, but we all know what normally happens on the first day: unbelievable bad luck, panicking staff making things worse and basically hell on earth.

But I've actually done some decent work today!

Thank Post
    It's good to know that there is an IT God somewhere - must be down to all your hard work over the summer. Well done

Thank Post
    My old work messed up, they stopped the students from saving.

OK, from the tecy side it's one way to protect that 2TB SAN, but from the head of IT who had all her Business Studies\IT classes who couldn't save there 3 hr work

Note: I used to do the student side

Thank Post
    so far I've not had many technical problems either, but we've had over 60 helpdesk calls in the last 2 days, mainly for silly problems, lost passwords etc. Considering the helpdesk was only launched 2 days ago to staff, I'm impressed that many are using it!

Most of my time has been spent assisting the admin team in getting all the kids enrolled onto the biometric cashless catering system, about 80% there now, only year 7 to go

Thank Post
    Its been busy here, nothing massive - end of the world jobs, but lots of niggling issues with new staff. I think its more getting used to the network rather then things not working.

The students were all off timetable today so will start lessons tommorrow - this is when the queue starts at the door with them all having forgot their password.

To top it all off one of the ICT technicians has decided he'd rather stop in the reprographics room and be the reprographics technician..... long story.

Thank Post
    Must say we've had a cracking start to the term. Few niggles but nothing to shout about. Staff were in Mon and Tues, Year 7 Wednesday which we got photographed and in SIMS by lunchtime. All back today. We've even got our new HP managed wireless sorted after a bit of a tussle.

Just got back from a start of term curry (IT tech team and IT teaching staff) to get to know the newbies - very pleasant.

Only 7 weeks to half term after tomorrow too!

Thank Post
    ^ Bloody hell, you photograph the staff for SIMS? There would be moans aplenty if that happened here lol...strictly students only

Thank Post
    Don't go there. I've got to mugshot all staff for a photo ID board...This has now been going on for over a month. They all run away or get really naggy about it.

Tough titty for them, I have CCTV in these suites. If they won't stand still, I'll get them another way.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    ^ Bloody hell, you photograph the staff for SIMS? There would be moans aplenty if that happened here lol...strictly students only
    For SIMS and we put out a couple of booklets out explaining who everyone is and how to contact them - their photos go in that too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    Must say we've had a cracking start to the term. Few niggles but nothing to shout about. Staff were in Mon and Tues, Year 7 Wednesday which we got photographed and in SIMS by lunchtime. All back today. We've even got our new HP managed wireless sorted after a bit of a tussle.

Just got back from a start of term curry (IT tech team and IT teaching staff) to get to know the newbies - very pleasant.

What way did you capture the staff pictures.
    By camera and upload them individually. Is it possible to use a webcam while in SIMS.

I have to do this for all students in the school. Looking for the quickest way so I can get back to IT support.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 821 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post

Tough titty for them,
    erm....data protection may disagree with you there

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LOUD View Post
    What way did you capture the staff pictures.
    By camera and upload them individually. Is it possible to use a webcam while in SIMS.

I have to do this for all students in the school. Looking for the quickest way so I can get back to IT support.
    Just a digital camera and the class list. One of us calls the kids out and writes the photo down while the other takes the snaps. Then we just manually chuck em in SIMS. To be honest it's pretty quick - this year we had 247 intake and got them all snapped and in SIMS in about 3 hours.

Pretty sure there isn't a webcam way - would be good if there was.

Thank Post
    We are getting all of our students and staff photos taken as part of our new cashless catering system for input into SIMS.

Its going to take them 4 days to complete the whole school. 1400 Students, 130 Staff.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    Tough titty for them, I have CCTV in these suites. If they won't stand still, I'll get them another way.
    Please tell me that photo's cannot be used without the permission of the person being snapped. Surely we cannot be forced to have our photo's taken.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    Woo Hoo!! 7 weeks to go and at the rate last week flew by it will be here before we know it! Now how many more projectors can go boom next week I wonder

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information