+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Work Equipment Spec in General; I was wondering, what machines are you lot given to work with i.e. do you have a works laptop, a ...

Thank Post

Work Equipment Spec

I was wondering, what machines are you lot given to work with i.e. do you have a works laptop, a phone, a desktop etc etc?

Upon arriving here I was given a new PC with the following spec:

Intel Pentium Dual E2180 @ 2.00GHz
    1 GB RAM
    DVD Writer
    80GB HDD
    17" TFT

Since then I have managed to get my hands on a better graphics card and a secondary monitor. I don't even have speakers yet! I'm sorry, but to do the job I do I believe I need a quick PC (especially as I do lots of media conversions etc) and I don't believe mine is all that quick.

I don't have laptop or phone etc but that doesn't bother me.

Thank Post
    Dell Latitude D520 + 1GB RAM + 22'' Monitor.

Suits me perfectly. Had to wait around 6months till new financial year though, before that, anything I could find.

Thank Post
    After 3 years of moaning like i crazy i broke my pc so that i would HAVE to get a new one.I had had a celeron 2.2ghz for over a year and then a P4 3.2ghz which were both unbelievably slow.

I now have a E8400 with 4gb ram etc etc but tbh it doesnt compare to my home built (ie out of quality componants rather than the cheapest the manufacturer can lay their hands on) E6750 with 2gb ram. I still cant see why I, a computer expert, am not allowed to build my own work PC especially since its actually far cheaper!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    I don't have laptop or phone etc but that doesn't bother me.
    Oh my! If only I didn't have a phone!!! I wish.

My computer spec (don't have time to find details out at mo) is seriously poor but it does the job... I have 2 monitors on it though which is fantastic for my web design work.

I use my own laptop for a lot of work these days anyways.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3 years ago I got a Dell Laititude D520 + 2Gb RAM.

Stuck Kubuntu on it and it works like a dream.

No phone. Don't want one, wanted to give me one but I said no. Had a company phone in my last job and realised what a mistake it was.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    IVe got a dell dimension with a gig of ram which does the job fine for me. Its the 22" monitor that has been the saving grace for the work I do.

Thank Post
    Currently a T60 and a home-built ESXi box for test deployments / images.

Then again, I make and recommend the IT purchases

Thank Post
    I'm running a Sempron64 3000+ with 512mb and 80gb disk, with a geforce 5200 in it. Nothing remotely fancy, but it does well. If I upgrade, it'll be a self build AMD X2, same as home. Yet to find something my X2 3800/2gb rig can't do.

19" Widescreen TFT monitor - again, same as home.

No laptop as yet - pointless. Might get an ultraportable for the new building transition.

Got a KVM for builds (mine), walkie talkie (all IT have one) and Cisco 7912 IP phone on my desk. Also use my Ipaq 514 voice messenger for mail etc on the go.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dell latitude D430, U7700, 2GB ram. Dual monitors, wireless KM, media slice to enable dvd drive (I've found having one machine for the desktop and laptop is really useful - works bloody well)

runs fine for xp

Also blackberry curve

Thank Post
    Brand new Intel Core 2 Quad @2.4ghz, 4gb RAM, 512 nvidia graphics, dual 19" fujitsu siemens tft (in piano gloss black), DVD RW.

Made it from scratch myself from parts. The other tech has the same and we have another machine of same spec in between us for monitoring the network ad running vm's.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Nothing especially fancy. The two machines I use (different locations... as I'm nomadic) both have 1GB RAM but are plenty quick enough for what I do - and I do hammer them both! Hard drive size is not huge, but doesn't need to be as data is stored on the server.

I have 17" monitors on both machines, but will do a quick switch with the next 19" monitors to arrive here - hopefully not too far off!

We're a small school and I am not supplied with a mobile. There's a landline on my main desk and if I'm roaming, the office can call me on my personal mobile... though I never call back on it - I find the nearest internal phone.

In bigger schools, I can see a place for PDAs for the ICT staff so they can access the school help desk software, etc.

Thank Post
    Ooops almost forgot, I have a landline on my desk with my own direct number in. I have my old mobile with a pay as you go sim card that i had spare that i use at work and give to suppliers/contracters etc. I get the school to pay for credit. So far i have used 3 in 4 months! I had a PDA but it broke and i havent brought myself a new one yet by i do have a HP Mini note thing that is just as good.

Thank Post
    I have an Evesham Prestige Soho with 2.4 GHz single core. 512 RAM. 40 GB HDD.

Now that is slow!! It is all the school will give me! If i need to do anything big i will use a faster bit if equipment somewhere in the school.

Thank Post
    I've got a toshiba tecra somthing or other laptop, - core 2 2.6ghz and 2gig ram. Highest spec machine I could find about 4 months ago when they said I could have a new laptop! Also got a work phone - nokia n95 which lets me connect to the new voip phone system via wifi, and make internal calls while in the school.

Up until about 6 months ago was running a 5 year old acer that took a lifetime to boot up.

Also got a couple of cheap new hp servers for testing and development.

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by button_ripple View Post
    I have an Evesham Prestige Soho with 2.4 GHz single core. 512 RAM. 40 GB HDD.

Now that is slow!! It is all the school will give me! If i need to do anything big i will use a faster bit if equipment somewhere in the school.
    My 3000+ is only a 1.6..heh. not on the domain but mapped to the relevant drives, flat XP build (SP3), and will merrily leave virtually any "domain" attached system for dead.

Currently got 9 windows open, 2 of which are Office 07. I've run photoshop on it happily, and it'll VM using Virtualbox. I decided to grab it after enduring 2 years of a Dell Celeron 2.4. Even at 1.6, the Sempron64 kicks it's bum.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast