+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Google Chrome in General; Minefield (Firefox 3.1) suks memory though, averaging 10mb more per window when running it and IE8 side by side!...
    Thank Post
    Minefield (Firefox 3.1) suks memory though, averaging 10mb more per window when running it and IE8 side by side!

Thank Post
    A few of us here are really giving Chrome a hard time, it's easy to forget that the thing was released to the gen public as still being a beta 2.0 version (or am I wrong). It was therefore our own choice to use it and as IT people we were suckered in and chose to (One - nil Google).

To me it seems to be a browser especially for speed. I also run Firefox 3 and IE7 on my laptop which is old and as slow as a big lumbering slow thing (excellent metaphore), Google Chrome has made the internet worthwhile again. On my Quad core PC it runs like lightening off a shiny shovel. The process management is great for when one page starts to respond or behave in an unexpected manner and quality searching from the address bar is just great.

I can see the security thing, it remembers passwords and therefore one can only assume other data far too easily (I'm sure i didn't tell it to remember some that stuff it has). I'm sure the people at Google will sort that out when the thing is no longer a Beta.

Strange how some people report a problem with PDf's and for others it is fine, one of the guys at work said the same thing but mine was ok, I did have a problem with some of the links on particulr websites to begin with but I think that was the web page I was using at the time as I haven't seen it again since.

My 2p, 'its sweet'
    Last edited by mark; 14th October 2008 at 09:28 PM. Reason: language *coughs* ;)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Google Chrome is fast - I like it.

Although I do disagree totally with the user interface - title bar and control buttons should never be rendered by the application - that's the whole point of having a standard windows interface, to take care of that sort of thing. In this case, it causes a problem when I have a bunch of windows I want to minimise - the minimise buttons on my regular windows line up nicely with the over-sized close button of Chrome. Outcome is - Chrome gets closed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superfletch View Post
    On my Quad core PC it runs like lightening off a shiny shovel. The process management is great for when one page starts to respond or behave in an unexpected manner and quality searching from the address bar is just great.
    Anyone else read the Chrome feature in December's PC Pro? Basically points out that it's (despite Google vehemently denying it) a browser-as-an-OS, designed to run web-based applications. Google Gears, framework for running web-based applications offline, is built in.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    I uninstalled this (or at least stopped using, can't remember now) after a few weeks. While I don't deny that the page load times were MUCH quicker, I miss my Firefox add-ons too much, most notably mouse gestures for back, forward, close tab etc. There's more the the browsing experience than just speed, IMHO.

It did funny things with a site which needed a popup window, too; I ended up having to use from FF.

A good first release, and I look forward to trying v2 but for now, I'm back in Firefox. People who only use IE with no add-ons could do a lot worse than migrate to Chrome, I reckon.

Thank Post
    Love it, much more so than fire fox, IE7 never gets used apart from windows update.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I love it too & use it all the time (except now! how did FF get started here?!? ).

Occasionally I find ads too much to bear and switch to FF. Read the PCPro article yeah. Pushing web apps to bring on web kiosk comoputing. Can't wait

Thank Post
    I'm actually a big fan of chrome, although i think it needs to be a bit more flexible. It hasn't got many option you can change in the preferences.

One feature i ADORE is being able to simply drag tabs in and out of the browser (being on of these people who uses dual screens on a regular basis). It works wonders.

I have found it pretty quick and, i think, it buffers the page or pictures before it displays so you get the whole page instantly. Atleast I think it does that.

But the tab task manager is UH-MAZING. I hated it when one tab crashed on Firefox and my other 7 went with it. So the task manager is a mega win.

If it had a add blocker then I would be converted from firefox.
    (Yes your adds are not blocked)

Although, does the spybot immunize function support Chrome's cookies etc?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    tbh I did love chrome for the speed but FF 3.1 is faster and I am loving having my extensions back. Chrome is good but its missing things and it has a bug that is driving me mad.

Thank Post
    also in chrome I'd want the mouse wheel click to open a link in a new tab.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rolfea View Post
    also in chrome I'd want the mouse wheel click to open a link in a new tab.
    ? It does already ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rolfea View Post
    If it had a add blocker then I would be converted from firefox.
    (Yes your adds are not blocked)
    Try Ad Muncher its not free but its pretty cheap and is much better than adblock or anything else and is browser independent, also works for msn messenger etc etc

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Try Ad Muncher its not free but its pretty cheap and is much better than adblock or anything else and is browser independent, also works for msn messenger etc etc
    I like the commission link you posted lol. There are tons of free ways to do all that program does tbh.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

in the 5 years ive been using it Ive only had 13 downloads and 0 registrations through that link so I dont hold out much hope hehe.

I think its a great program. What would you recommend in its place?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast