+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Car insurance For Young Drivers? in General; Adrian Flux or if you are with Unison go with Frizzell as they do a discount. Was the cheapest by ...

Thank Post
    Adrian Flux or if you are with Unison go with Frizzell as they do a discount. Was the cheapest by miles when I looked.

Thank Post
    I am with adrian flux and they are freat. My insuracne renewed today and i phoned up to make sure that it was all ok and they offered me european breakdown for 45!! Thats a bargain i was paying over 3 times that with direct line!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Admiral - no comparison!

My son has a 1 litre Polo and they would only insure it as his car (NOT as a named driver) and even so it came to about 700 (6 months ago when he was a 17 year old provisional driver).
    He has put his mother on as a named driver and that brought it down a bit too.
    They take no notice of pass plus though, and many companies do not.

My other son works at LV and he has said that the best car to drive is a slightly unusual one - eg a Polo, NOT a Punto like everyone else - as the insurance companies look at the number of accidents per car type (ridiculous really as obviously the more people that drive a particular car, the more accidents there are likely to be - but he assures me this is true)
    He ran his brother's insurance through the system using the Polo and also a Punto or Fiesta and the Polo was about 150 cheaper!!!
    We also changed my car to Admiral (you can add any car on) and the insurance on that came down too!!

It's true - Insurance companines use the ABI groupings (1-20) as the baseline for thier products - but insurance companines will adjust depending on thier claims book for certain cars. It also comes down to a few other factors:

* cost of parts in the event of panel damage
    * crash test ratings (euro ncap, generally).. the more someone's hurt as a result of an accident/the more chance of a pedestrian being hurt/killed etc the higher the premium will be.
    * engine size etc - the higher the power output, obviously the higher the speed you could be doing when you go through your neighbours front wall..

Thank Post
    We usually use confused.com to get a ballpark figure - useful because you can modify your quote to get best quote eg add named driver (lowers cost if older woman) third party or fully comp, change level of excess etc.

Norwich union was the cheapest for one son with discount for passplus, Bell insurance cheapest for other son. When I say cheapest I mean least expensive

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kylewilliamson View Post
    * engine size etc - the higher the power output, obviously the higher the speed you could be doing when you go through your neighbours front wall..
    But surely if you are breaking the speed limit this will void your insurance? Therefore they won't have to pay out. Therefore, in theory it should not matter how fast your car can go as just about every car can do 70.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    they tend to look at the type of car rather than just engine size.

My 1.4 almera was lower insurance than a 1.2 golf

I'd say look around - you can say this companies good or this one is, but you find at different times of year, when location, car and driver have been taken into account it could be anyone who ends up giving you a good deal.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123