+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Car insurance For Young Drivers? in General; I think I should do pass plus soon. Problem is I've picked up bad habits now....

Thank Post
    I think I should do pass plus soon. Problem is I've picked up bad habits now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,549 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its well worth it. It cost be £132 with BSM, not to mention it being a good day out.

Z

Thank Post
    Did you do it all in one day?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,549 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I did yes, there where other options like:

2 x 3 Hour Lessons
    3 x 2 Hour Lessons

Make sure you have a few stops it does get boring

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    Okai, firms I have used for car insurance as a young driver:
    Frizell (Liverpool Victoria)
    Norwich Union a few times
    Endsleigh
    Direct Line (all be it they are my current insurance firm and I'm no longer classed as a young young driver but a young driver (thats the group you end up in after your over 21 but under I think its 25).

Get fully comp ASAP as that builds your NCB up and is great, I've now got protected NCB and fine it adds a few quid to the renewal bill but hey means I keep my NCB to a point if I have a bump (touches wood for no bumps!)

Thank Post
    @Zak: Yes, provided you're the policy holder you'll start getting your no claims period from the start of the policy. Some insurers (certainly Direct Line, not sure if there are others) will also start accumulating an NCB for you if you're a named driver on someone else's policy.

I'm fairly sure my just-passed insurer was Norwich Union, and it was expensive but pretty reasonable in comparison. You're always going to be stung as a new driver, I'm afraid.

Thank Post
    What car have you got your eye on?

Thank Post
    My brother used eCarInsurance when he passed a little over a year ago. They were cheapest by about £300!! With this company its normally cheaper to not add a parent on to it. I spent hours looking at lots of sites and filling them in differently with one parent then the other etc.

With regards to doing the pass plus its usefull but most insurance companies dont pay as much attention to it as they used to. When i passed my driving 4 years ago Norwich union were giving 50% off for having done pass plus, but now i think its only about 15/20%. Shop around and use the sites like confused, gocompare etc as you can find all sorts of companys.

Thank Post
    When I passed (about 6 years ago) I was only 17 and insurance was going to be a cruncher until a colleage told me about elephant.co.uk

They were the cheapest I could get at the time and because I have been with them for 6 years I now get special (we want you to stay with us) discounts.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I have done the pass plus and i will be getting full comprehensive cover in my name only.

Thanks

Z
    How much are you spending on a car? If it's under a grand you might be better off going 3rd party.

Thank Post
    When i first passed i did the pass plus, and then i got my insurance with Quinn and they where by far the cheapest at the time.

Thank Post
    Adrian flux,

i passed about 20 months ago, and they where the cheapest for me, you cant get a quote online you have to ring them up,(or fill in your details online and they will call you back) there call centre is in the uk, with well spoken and very friendly operators so you can understand what they are saying to you.

Thank Post
    I have found that Elephant.co.uk was the cheapest car isurance for young drivers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by davyboi View Post
    Adrian flux,

i passed about 20 months ago, and they where the cheapest for me, you cant get a quote online you have to ring them up,(or fill in your details online and they will call you back) there call centre is in the uk, with well spoken and very friendly operators so you can understand what they are saying to you.
    I've been with Norwich Union virtually since I passed my test (who were by far the cheapest for me at the time!), however I have just changed to Adrian Flux, who were even cheaper!

Another thing that may be worth looking at is joining an owners club, I'm a member of the Ford Focus owners club - gets me discount from Adrian Flux on my insurance, plus discounts on loads of parts should I ever need them!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,579 Times in 1,795 Posts
    Admiral - no comparison!

My son has a 1 litre Polo and they would only insure it as his car (NOT as a named driver) and even so it came to about £700 (6 months ago when he was a 17 year old provisional driver).
    He has put his mother on as a named driver and that brought it down a bit too.
    They take no notice of pass plus though, and many companies do not.

My other son works at LV and he has said that the best car to drive is a slightly unusual one - eg a Polo, NOT a Punto like everyone else - as the insurance companies look at the number of accidents per car type (ridiculous really as obviously the more people that drive a particular car, the more accidents there are likely to be - but he assures me this is true)
    He ran his brother's insurance through the system using the Polo and also a Punto or Fiesta and the Polo was about £150 cheaper!!!
    We also changed my car to Admiral (you can add any car on) and the insurance on that came down too!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast