+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, MythTV - any users here? in General; Hi - I'm thinking of having a play with MythTV - anyone here use it? Before I go to the ...

Thank Post

MythTV - any users here?

Hi - I'm thinking of having a play with MythTV - anyone here use it?

Before I go to the trouble of setting it up - does anyone know if you can do this -

I want the MythTV box in the living room near the TV, but I have a big media server with music and films on elsewhere, I want to stream the video & sound from my existing server to the MythTV box. A lot of documentation shows distributing from the MythTV box to others, but I want to do it the other way round - is there software I have to install, or will it be able to see a share and grab the files directly from there?

Any help gladly listened to.

Cheers

Thank Post
    I've used it briefly but I have a friend who is a heavy user so I'll check with him.

I can't see it being a problem to be honest.

Thank Post
    Slightly off the point of the question but yesterday I tried to set up MythBuntu and had a nightmare with it. So then I set up XP and installed MediaPortal which I am over the moon with.

Thank Post
    MythBuintu user here. Absolutely perfect, never crashes etc etc, no problems at all. Hightower im not sure what your problem is but it should be insert cd, next next next next, done and thats litterally all there is to it. Even my mate who had never heard of linux until i gave him MythTV can handle most things on it. It sounds to me like something just happened to go wrong for you that time, try again as i cant really see how anyone can get it wrong.

SpuffMonkey - the way i would do it for your situation is to mount the current server share within the MythTV OS and then goto MythTVs setup and put in the appropriate paths. Just be aware that (atleast on MythBuntu) it doesnt come with NTFS write capibilities "out of box" so you wont be able to write back to the server but by the sounds of it you probably wont be doing this anyway. The only performance losses will be when scanning for new movies as once they are scanned the info is put in the SQL database for quick recall rather than rescanning each time you open a folder. Just make sure that your server is accessable when mythTV loads its database as otherwise it will mark them as missing and you could end up with duplicate copies of the movies.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 21st August 2008 at 01:20 PM.

5. Thanks to j17sparky from:

SpuffMonkey (22nd August 2008)

Thank Post
    @j17sparky - Sorry, my point must have came accross wrong. I wasn't slating MythTV at all. I may have been a little too hasty in giving up in it but I found an alternative for Windows that does what I need.

I say go for MythTV - the reason I went for it was because it is feature rich. I just found an alternative that does the same jobs that I'm happy with.

Thank Post
    Yeah i get what you said, i think my point didnt come accross right lol. What i was saying is something just happened to go wrong that time resulting in problems, not saying you caused them. Anyway, if you're happy...

Thank Post
    Having spoken to my friend, it would appear that myth frontend will access media from any uPNP server.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    SpuffMonkey - the way i would do it for your situation is to mount the current server share within the MythTV OS and then goto MythTVs setup and put in the appropriate paths.
    Thanks for that - can you point me to an easy guide to mounting shares under this? Thanks a lot.

Thank Post
    Ive recently done the same thing, I found this thread helpful Ubuntu Forums

I followed that and its been working perfectly since.

11. Thanks to Jenko22 from:

SpuffMonkey (26th August 2008)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread