+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Career Progression in General; Originally Posted by Domino True. But the tech/NM/ SMT structure is the way a lot of schools have it. Certainly ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    True.

But the tech/NM/SMT structure is the way a lot of schools have it.

Certainly to have any kind of progression in my previous role I would have had to wait for someone to kick the bucket.
    Yes but the OP asked what jobs people moved into after working in schools. I was pointing out that gaining a grounding in a range of technologies (as you do in a school) then opens up many possibilites both inside education (FE/HE) and outside in the wider world.

I seem to be in an endless cycle of training junior techs who then promptly upsticks and go to the local uni for double the money (not that I blame or begrudge them that)

richard_s
    I spent several years in education as both technician and Network Manager before taking a year out after being redundant. I have now come back to IT but in the private sector working for a small IT firm doing everything from selling and fitting Graphics Cards through virus removal right upto Network and Server rollouts. For the knowledge and skills I picked up in education have stood me in good stead for what I do now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by listerdl View Post
    Hi John, i know you posted ages ago, but can I ask what qualification you obtained to get your foot in the door? Thanks..
    Buckets of experience and good A Level Results did me

Oh and to update the thread, I'm now near enough at the top of the tree, I'm a Network Manager now and have a team of staff as well.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    I went college got my a-levels, worked part-time during that as a ict techie at a school, then went onto a IT outsourced company then bk to education sector as a IT Network Manager at the age of 23 so must be doing something good!

rad
    Thank Post
    I have been in education IT for 2 and a half years.

Got here through loads of experience, first job was probably the worst of them all but taught me all I needed, its not going to be fixed unless you sort it so research how to solve it!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Failed A-Level, got a B-TEC in Computer Studies, 3rd Class Degree in Applied Computing and a home study diploma in PC-Repair. After 5 years in IT retail I spent 3 years as a Tech/senior Tech before becoming a NM. Oh and I got a VCP along the way!

Only now I'm I even bothering to look into MSCE's and the like.

Thank Post
    I worked as a IT Tech for 3 years on very low wages, left the school to work for a company who supplied the school with some web based software. I was happy at the school but it just didnt pay well enough....

Based on the fact I dont have any A'levels or a degree or any kind of certification just my GCSE's to fall back on I earn 3 times what I was earning in the school.

I now train, support, consult with schools who buy our products all over the country.....very happy!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Oh and to update the thread, I'm now near enough at the top of the tree, I'm a Network Manager now and have a team of staff as well.
    Well done chap!

Network manager on the SMT? That's almost as rediculous as suggesting your finance manager be on SMT oh wait... some are

Thank Post
    I would think companies like RM/outsourcing would be the next step for those looking to stay in 'education'. Following on from that? 2nd line/ field engineers/ I.T. engineers etc.

Bumped up with a few certs, your sweet.

But I stand by my original opinion, progression in schools is very non existant/rigid. It is litterally, someone leaves and you take place (just an assumption).

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Before I become a Network Manager I worked for a IT outsourcing company.......lots of fun, differnt faces and places each day

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12