+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Sat Nav in General; I'm looking for a budget satnav with European maps. Nothing fancy. Can anyone recommend something and what are must-have features?...

Thank Post

Sat Nav

I'm looking for a budget satnav with European maps. Nothing fancy. Can anyone recommend something and what are must-have features?

Thank Post
    I would deffo stick with a TomTom or a Garmin rather than a cheap alternative.

3. Thanks to ChrisH from:

laserblazer (16th August 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    I would deffo stick with a TomTom or a Garmin rather than a cheap alternative.
    I agree, one of my mates, bought a cheap Sat Nav 1 1/2 years ago. This year they stopped supporting it (no more map updates or firmware/software updates, etc). He ending up buying a TomTom this year. As for me I have a Tomtom and apart from the baterry that needs replacing (it's a couple of years old) it hasn't failed me yet

You can pick up a cheap-ish TomTom or Garmin of Ebay, if you do not fancy paying the price of a new one

As for features, speed cams are always good one, and the new GPS's come with bluetooth and can link with your mobile phone so you do not need a separate hands free kit.

-Ken

PEO
    Thank Post

Jon
    Thank Post
    I have got TomTom 6 running on my symbian phone (nokia n73), I just got myself a blutooth GPS receiver (around 20:00) and it works a treat, I have maps for UK, Europe, and France.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've been playing with a few sat nav programs. There are two map sources for all of them, plus the routing done by the software. iGO8 won awards for it's 3D Buildings and landscape, and ultimate configure ability.

All the business users/ lorry drivers seem to swear by TomTom. I did some tests finding awkward places and TomTom won hands down. Of the many softwares I've tried TomTom has by far the smallest footprint. It's graphics are minimal but ultimately functional. The colour scheme is the best visible in bright light conditions.

I love iGO8, and use it all the time. But I'm a visuals freak. I always keep a copy of TomTom as standby.

MioMaps is identical to iGO but without souped up visuals and menus.

The mp3/4 integrated players are a waste of time IMHO. Same with traffic alerts. The sound dips when the sat nav beeps. Nice.

I think widescreen satnavs are a waste. 3x4 ratio suits what you're looking at perfectly. Why slow down the s/w with useless data?

All speedcamera and place of interest data is freely available, as are alternate voices.

Voice directions are another thing TomTom excels at. Although the other programs mostly offer Text To Speech - voicing actual street & place names (can be fun in Wales! ), the delivery is always broken and choppy. TomTom voices are smooth.

This TomTom @ 120 inc European Maps looks a bargain. There are two versions of map. The individual country maps are far more detailed than the whole of Europe map, so watch for that. Maybe cheaper to get a UK version and add countries as you need them. You have to switch maps at the border (other apps do this automatically).

/nuff
    Last edited by mark; 16th August 2008 at 04:47 PM.

8. Thanks to mark from:

laserblazer (16th August 2008)

Thank Post
    I got a good deal on a Garmin Nuvi 250 with Europe maps Seems to do all I want. Thanks for all of the advice.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Big-Jon View Post
    I have got TomTom 6 running on my symbian phone (nokia n73), I just got myself a blutooth GPS receiver (around 20:00) and it works a treat, I have maps for UK, Europe, and France.
    It's a pity that Tom Tom does not work with a built in GPRS.. I have Garmin on my N95

Thank Post
    It's a pity that Tom Tom does not work with a built in GPRS.. I have Garmin on my N95
    There is a proggy/hack that will do this I have had it working on mine.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have Tom Tom on my PDA which i use when going places... just download the software and install it to the PDA have maps for UK and Europe..

James.

Thank Post
    I have a Garmin 250 (i think, either that or 350) I got it with the traffic addon that can change your journey depending on the traffic. This was the main thing I wanted the sat nav for; and at the time Garmin was clearly the best for it. Only time it has failed me was when I was looking for new houses and it didn't find one that had been built since I'd bought my sat nav (which is fair enough :P). It told me the other day that it'd appreciate a map update- so I might give it one!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    We've got a TomTom and it's been brilliant...

We gave it a thorough testing in France this Summer. The ability to save your current location as a favourite was really useful. The location of our Villa went in, the location of the Avignon MotorRail station went in...

And better still it warned us about the French speed cameras just as efficiently as it does the English ones!

Thank Post
    I've got my trusty Garmin Streetpilot i2 here..not let me down yet. The mother in law used hers in Belgium fine as well. Not made anymore, but tiny, basic and solid.. Loaded with the speed camera database and custom POIs as well. Good fun.

I got shot of "recalculating" though. "Arse!" expresses it much better..heh..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
    There is a proggy/hack that will do this I have had it working on mine.
    Any link to this ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I got a MyGuide 3100 which runs a customised IGO software. It also has the added bonus of letting you access WindowsCE running it to use it for other things (MP3/video playback....obviously not video while driving!).
    It got great reviews, and I do recommend it (cost about 60), but it looks like ebuyer have stopped stocking them, chances are they went out of business too!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast