+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Is my passport valid? in General; Dear All I think I may have a problem with my passport and I wanted to get other peoples view ...
    Thank Post

Is my passport valid?

Dear All

I think I may have a problem with my passport and I wanted to get other peoples view on it before I act.

Ok my passport is due to expire on 19th February 2009. I am going away to my honeymoon in Florida, US and leave these shores on 23rd August 2008, and return on 8th Sept 2008.

When I leave here my passport will be less than 6 months to expiry.

Will I get any problems leaving the country? I had a look on the US embassy site and think I might be ok but just need a second opinion.

Consular Affairs U.S. Embassy London...
    this site suggests otherwise

just read here as well http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...iv.html#niv079

saying "Does my British passport have to be valid for six months beyond my date of departure from the United States?

No, if your passport is not valid for at least six months beyond your date of departure from the United States, it will not affect your eligibility to travel. The United States has an agreement with the United Kingdom automatically extending the validity of a passport for six months past the passport's expiration date. Therefore, your passport need remain valid only for the duration of your stay in the United States. "

Your advice is appreciated on this, I am beginning to sweat.
    Last edited by ranj; 14th August 2008 at 07:29 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Looking at what you've posted it looks like you'll be ok, however I'd get a contact number for the embassy and give them a call to put your mind at rest.

Thank Post
    I am afraid they can be funny about passports that have nearly expired in the US. My friend had to renew theirs before they went a few years ago. You need to speak to someone to see how the land lies now definately

Thank Post
    My parents just came back from their honeymoon in the States and they saw people being turned away at immigration when they arrived. I'd be inclined to renew it anyway, just to be on the safe side. There is no way of being caught out by being given misinformation that way!

Thank Post
    I'd get it renewed as currently any minor issue U.S. side can turn into hours of pain or worse.

Thank Post
    Immigration laws at the US is extremely tight. I would renew your passport you don't lose the remaining months you have on it as they add 10 years on top once you renew. I'd rather be safe then sorry.

Thank Post
    Also the USA are very strict on criminal records (not suggesting you have one of course) but my son has a driving offense that the USA embassy informed us that he will need a visa to enter the states forevermore!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    Also the USA are very strict on criminal records (not suggesting you have one of course) but my son has a driving offense that the USA embassy informed us that he will need a visa to enter the states forevermore!
    What type of motoring offence was it?

Thank Post
    You do not have much time to renew it, you will probably have to fast-track it.

Its £114 if you go to one of their offices then you get the passport the same day.
    Otherwise £97 for the one week counter fast-track service.

Urgent applications

If you need your passport within two weeks you should call our 24-hour Passport Adviceline 0870 521 0410 (see terms and conditions) to make an appointment at one of our offices. We can offer a Fast Track one week service or a Premium same-day service.
    Urgent applications - Identity and Passport Service
    Last edited by somabc; 14th August 2008 at 11:52 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    You do not have much time to renew it, you will probably have to fast-track it.

Its £114 if you go to one of their offices then you get the passport the same day.
    Otherwise £97 for the one week counter fast-track service.

Urgent applications - Identity and Passport Service
    A friend of mine "fast-tracked" theirs - only took 8 weeks!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    A friend of mine "fast-tracked" theirs - only took 8 weeks!!!
    They are having 'problems' over the summer, if I were you I would go down to their office.
    Last edited by somabc; 14th August 2008 at 03:52 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,703 Posts
    Personally, I would renew...

NOW

Do it by going to a passport office. It's a pain... but better than being turned away when you get there

Thank Post
    Just remember not to answer yes to any of these questions, particularly the terrorist question. I mean seriously does anyone ever tick yes?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzard View Post
    What type of motoring offence was it?
    I was under the impression that only motoring offences that either led to an arrest or conviction meant you weren't able to travel to the US visa-free....

so presumably a 3 points on the license fixed penalty doesn't qualify as a motoring conviction, but more serious motoring offences such as driving without insurance would mean you had to apply for a vista...maybe someone who knows could clarify.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    Just remember not to answer yes to any of these questions, particularly the terrorist question. I mean seriously does anyone ever tick yes?
    They seem to have changed the form. In the 60's we emigrated; my mother was under the illusion that US immigration officials had a sense of humour. Thus when asked "Are you now, or have you ever been a communist...Do you intend to overthrow the American government" She answered "Of course I do, what do you really think?" or words to the effect. It took a long time to get through, but my father was already on his way to hospital with pneumonia which he came down with on the boat. Bit of a shocking way to start the new life...

Seriously, the OPs user name of Ranj may indicate that he/she isn't chalky white, Anglo Saxon, all the way back to the Vikings. If so, I'd be doubly sure your paperwork is squeaky clean. Not that ALL Americans are racist by any stretch, but... The War On Terror does seem to have them in a spin.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast