+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Is my passport valid? in General; Originally Posted by torledo I was under the impression that only motoring offences that either led to an arrest or ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    I was under the impression that only motoring offences that either led to an arrest or conviction meant you weren't able to travel to the US visa-free....

so presumably a 3 points on the license fixed penalty doesn't qualify as a motoring conviction, but more serious motoring offences such as driving without insurance would mean you had to apply for a vista...maybe someone who knows could clarify.
    That's what I was thinking, if it was a speeding offence caught by camera/police officer would that count?

Thank Post
    If you answer question B in the Visa Wavier form as YES then you need a Visa if no then you don't and can enter under the wavier program. If they find you lied on the visa wavier form then can put you in jail, then deport you, refusing any further entry to the USA. If you do apply for a Tourist Visa (B-2) then you MUST inform then of any offence where you were arrested.

If the crime involves moral turpitude or 2 or more offences involving a 5 year sentence then yes you need a Visa

Moral turpitude - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...add_crime.html
    Last edited by somabc; 14th August 2008 at 05:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Embassy of the U.S. London: Visa Wizard

This link refers to 'minor' motoring offences for which there was no conviction, to me this suggests parking fines and such like. But an unspecified speeding fine i think is treated differently....it's not clear, defintely a grey area.

speeding offences in the UK are usually become spent after 5 years - so presumably if the speeding offence period has been 'spent' you don't need to apple for a vista, but it does suggest if in doubt apply for a visa.

Thank Post
    What type of motoring offence was it?
    To cut a long story short - my son was convicted in court of failing to stop at an accident - 5 points, he was threatened by a another driver who objected to him parking in his road and whilst 'escaping' he bumped another car, reported it straight away in person at police station but still convicted - the great british justice

We were told by the usa embassy he would need a visa as in their eyes he's a criminal. If you have speeding points or other fixed penalty points you should be OK.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    speeding offences in the UK are usually become spent after 5 years - so presumably if the speeding offence period has been 'spent' you don't need to apple for a vista, but it does suggest if in doubt apply for a visa.
    I think you need a holiday or been too long in IT

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    I think you need a holiday or been too long in IT
    haha, i can't believe how thay typo came out......i'm sure freud would have something to say about that.

your right, i have been working in IT too long. far too long.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12