+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35
General Chat Thread, Moved over to Linux at home in General; I have finally taken the plunge and moved over to Linux full time. All started with a hard drive that ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    276
    Thank Post
    24
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    19

    Moved over to Linux at home

    I have finally taken the plunge and moved over to Linux full time.

    All started with a hard drive that decided to fail on me and then my Windows XP disc wouldn't work, so instead of forking out a load of money just to get another copy. I decided to use my Ubuntu Disc that had been lying round gathering dust.

    Only took me 5 hours to finally get access to my NTFS formatted second drive

    Also managed to upgrade to latest version of Ubuntu without a hitch.

    I'm still going to build a windows box in the future to keep my hand in.

  2. #2

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,772
    Thank Post
    1,308
    Thanked 804 Times in 698 Posts
    Rep Power
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzard View Post
    I'm still going to build a windows box in the future to keep my hand in.
    Personally, I prefer to keep my hands on the ends of my arms - I've grown very attached to them, and hate to let them out of my site.

    --
    David Hicks

  3. Thanks to dhicks from:

    wizzard (13th August 2008)

  4. #3
    richard.thomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    491
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    lol. I like how you got thanked for that dhicks. Obviously some advice that wizzard needed :P

    I've just started playing with ubuntu on virtual box. I've used fedora before for FOG and ive used IPCop. But only because I've needed to- and with guidance from the web. Best way to learn is to play with things... and thats what i've been doing with my virtual machine

    On that note, anyone know of something I can sink my teeth into that I can't do on windows? I only ask because at the moment I do everything on windows and i'm just messing around on linux, but I want to actually *need* linux so that I have to play with it :P

  5. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    276
    Thank Post
    24
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    19
    I've only really dabbled in Linux on and off over the past couple of years, it's only yesterday that I decided to use it properly.

    It's a bit of a steep learning curve as I have been in the bosom of windows for as far as I can remember

  6. #5


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Rep Power
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by richard.thomas View Post
    On that note, anyone know of something I can sink my teeth into that I can't do on windows? I only ask because at the moment I do everything on windows and i'm just messing around on linux, but I want to actually *need* linux so that I have to play with it :P
    This is a very interesting question. Because most of the application on linux are opensource there is no one killer app. As the source code is free, if any application becomes 'killer' they will soon get ported to windows because of the nature of the openness. I think the closest applications that you *need* are collections, such as the collection of applications that make zimbra, or indeed the collection that make linux distributions. I'd put the question rather differently, why would you choose to do something on windows when you could do the same thing on a free system - I understand the using windows because a business application requires it, but not for the sake of it.

    I migrated my home systems to linux 2 or 3 yrs ago, I haven't looked back. Initially the biggest hurdle was a change of mindset - I was used to keeping 'uptodate' with the latest prirated version of photoshop (that I couldn't use even 15% of) or flicking through magazines or shops looking at the latest applications or games - now I flick through google,sourceforge, freshmeat.

  7. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

    richard.thomas (13th August 2008)

  8. #6

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,772
    Thank Post
    1,308
    Thanked 804 Times in 698 Posts
    Rep Power
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by richard.thomas View Post
    On that note, anyone know of something I can sink my teeth into that I can't do on windows?
    "Customise it" is the obvious answer, that's the thing that Linux is good at, but "customise it" how and to do what is the tricky bit. I can see Linux being used more and more for people to develop and distribute their own all-in-one VM-based software packages - no need to mess around sorting out licensing, just pick a Linux distribution, develop your server-based web application and give/sell the VM to as many people as you want. I mean, can you even do that with Windows?

    I'm sure we can think up a bunch of applications that need writing (web-based video editing for a start), if you're looking for something to do.

    --
    David Hicks

  9. Thanks to dhicks from:

    richard.thomas (13th August 2008)

  10. #7
    richard.thomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    491
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    Those are two very good answers. I've just started reading some tutorials that others have done with ubuntu just see how it all works. It's starting to grow on me.
    The only reason I wouldnt install this as my main operating system is that I do sometimes enjoy abit of TF2 :P

  11. #8


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Rep Power
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by richard.thomas View Post
    The only reason I wouldnt install this as my main operating system is that I do sometimes enjoy abit of TF2 :P
    How To: Run Team Fortress 2 (TF2), Portal, Half-Life 2, HL2 EP 1&2, and Counter-Strike In Ubuntu Using Wine | fsckin w/ linux
    Wine AppDB - Team Fortress 2 - Steam

  12. #9

    Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Fylde, Lancs, UK.
    Posts
    11,850
    Thank Post
    110
    Thanked 598 Times in 514 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    227
    Half Life 2 and it's mods work fine under Wine.

    Wine AppDB - Team Fortress 2 - Steam July 29, 2008

  13. #10
    richard.thomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    491
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    you guys are pulling the microsoft carpet from beneath my feet!! I don't have an excuse now....

  14. #11
    somabc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,337
    Thank Post
    83
    Thanked 388 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzard View Post
    Only took me 5 hours to finally get access to my NTFS formatted second drive
    I find the best way to use other NTFS drives / partitions is to specify them when partitioning the drive in the installer for Ubuntu.

    ie pick custom / advanced partitioning

    you should create at least these partitions

    / -the root folder where linux will be installed, as big as possible format as ext3
    swap -this is virtual memory, format as swap say 2GB+
    /windows -this is your existing drive, choose format from the menu as NTFS, this will leave the data alone but will mount as ntfs when the computer boots up.

    if you have multiple ntfs drives or partitions you can add them as well

    eg

    /data (ntfs)
    /games (ntfs)
    /video (ntfs)

    and so on

    So if you had 3 SATA hard drives - sda = linux stuff, sdb = windows stuff, sdc = other misc data

    then sda has
    Partiton 1: / (ext3)
    Partiton 2: swap (swap)

    sdb has
    Partiton 1: /windows (ntfs)


    sdc has
    Partiton 1: /data (ntfs)
    Last edited by somabc; 13th August 2008 at 02:35 PM.

  15. #12

    powdarrmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alcester, Warwickshire
    Posts
    4,867
    Thank Post
    412
    Thanked 778 Times in 651 Posts
    Rep Power
    182
    I always used to install a linux distro on a partition, get it set up, and then go 'now what?' and go back to Windows. I got around it by physically taking the windows drive out and forcing myself to use Linux at home and work, and I've never looked back.

  16. #13

    RabbieBurns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,532
    Thank Post
    1,341
    Thanked 470 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    200
    the programs that keep me booting back to windows are mIRC and newsleecher and flashfxp and admuncher.

    none run well under wine or crossover, so until they improve fish support for xchat, develop a decent newsgroup client and finish making a version of admuncher then I still feel that most of my time will be spent in windows.

  17. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    276
    Thank Post
    24
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    I find the best way to use other NTFS drives / partitions is to specify them when partitioning the drive in the installer for Ubuntu.

    ie pick custom / advanced partitioning

    you should create at least these partitions

    / -the root folder where linux will be installed, as big as possible format as ext3
    swap -this is virtual memory, format as swap say 2GB+
    /windows -this is your existing drive, choose format from the menu as NTFS, this will leave the data alone but will mount as ntfs when the computer boots up.

    if you have multiple ntfs drives or partitions you can add them as well

    eg

    /data (ntfs)
    /games (ntfs)
    /video (ntfs)

    and so on

    So if you had 3 SATA hard drives - sda = linux stuff, sdb = windows stuff, sdc = other misc data

    then sda has
    Partiton 1: / (ext3)
    Partiton 2: swap (swap)

    sdb has
    Partiton 1: /windows (ntfs)


    sdc has
    Partiton 1: /data (ntfs)
    I already had loads of data on the drive that I didn't want to loose, that's why I didn't mess with any partitions on that drive.

  18. #15

    Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Fylde, Lancs, UK.
    Posts
    11,850
    Thank Post
    110
    Thanked 598 Times in 514 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    the programs that keep me booting back to windows are mIRC and newsleecher and flashfxp and admuncher.

    none run well under wine or crossover, so until they improve fish support for xchat, develop a decent newsgroup client and finish making a version of admuncher then I still feel that most of my time will be spent in windows.
    As for xchat + FISH, there's been a perfectly usable FISH plugin for xchat for ages.

    FiSH - Encryption for mIRC, irssi and xchat

    As for binary news readers, I use BNR2. Scroll down a bit on the download page for the linux versions.

    BNR = Binary News Reaper = Binary News Reader

    As for admuncher, again, it's going to have to be a switch to alternative software. I'd suggest privoxy.

    Privoxy - Home Page


    Besides, don't forget, this isn't a black and white either/or choice between Linux and Windows. There's nothing stopping you running one on the top of the other thanks to VMWare. Or the old school approach of dual booting or even having two machines and a dual port KVM switch.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Disabling Equipment if moved
    By gloriousglenn in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 8th May 2008, 12:19 PM
  2. Sims moved to a new domain
    By edie209 in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 16th November 2007, 07:22 PM
  3. Anyone Moved a Raid array.
    By K.C.Leblanc in forum Hardware
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 15th November 2007, 06:52 PM
  4. Anyone moved to roaming profiles?
    By Halfmad in forum Windows
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 29th June 2007, 08:23 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •