+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, So, how's your Summer going in General; Done some of the hard stuff like the dancing and Cinema room, MLS Invoice PDF output and automatic saving so ...
    Thank Post
    Done some of the hard stuff like the dancing and Cinema room, MLS Invoice PDF output and automatic saving so the Michaelmas invoices could be generated, timetabling for the coming year, alterations to synopses of work etc, but too much left!

Got a new lab, rack and server(s) order to pick quotes on, make, receive and finally install. Two new networks to build on two other sites, Broadband upgrade for here and new orders for the remote sites. Migration of current network & domain onto the new hardware when it arrives so that the old hardware can be re-deployed to the remote sites.

New science lab has been pushed back and work prob won't start until september.

Swap machines in labs 1 and 2, deploy lab 1 machines around classrooms, deploy new machines in lab 2.

Meet with the lighting and electricians to cover the spec for the stage lighting.

Currently working on the MLS - completed the modifications needed to get the invoices out, upgraded all the userdata sections, but I've got to get the testing system upgraded and operational for 2nd week back, teacher lesson planning module done ASAP, all the new accounts setup plus sorting out the Moodle users and documenting user guides.

Biggest pain is data entry into the MLS database (mySQL queries) for things like the learning objectives -> 639 of them just for KS1-2 Science.

Still, that's a lot better than the poor chap writing the questions for the tests - that's a killer, especially after about the 5th question on each.

Need more coffee.

On the bright side, my chroma key curtain, stand and lights turned up yesterday so I can play with funky effects for VLE videos.

In september :P

Thank Post
    This is not so much what we have to do, and what we have achieved so far, as what you do with contractors who say they'll turn up at 09:30am Monday, but in fact don't show their faces until midday Wednesday. Our NM works himself really hard coordinating and organizing all this, phone calls, emails, face to face. What do you do when people don't turn up when they say they will? Have you any sanctions? Do you tie them in to a contract (with penalties) which stipulates certain factors such as when they turn up etc?

Thank Post
    Well fingers crossed I can get into some of my IT Suites tomorrow
    If I can pin down the caretaker to get the furniture back in...
    Pity im on a half day (Suit fitting for wedding - super B*tch wouldn't let me out an hour early to go ) cos could have them imaged by 4pm!!

Thank Post
    Know that feeling, Beeswax. Our decorators said they would be finished in two or three weeks at the most. Four men on the outside and four on the inside. At most there were only ever three "Oh he didn't turn in today." or "He's got food poisoning" This on a Monday - strange how he arrived fit and well on Tuesday. They started the last week of term and still haven't finished (and they keep missing bits).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    This is not so much what we have to do, and what we have achieved so far, as what you do with contractors who say they'll turn up at 09:30am Monday, but in fact don't show their faces until midday Wednesday. Our NM works himself really hard coordinating and organizing all this, phone calls, emails, face to face. What do you do when people don't turn up when they say they will? Have you any sanctions? Do you tie them in to a contract (with penalties) which stipulates certain factors such as when they turn up etc?
    I'd be straight on the phone to my rep, and if they failed to turn up at any point on the first day I'd cancel the order and go elsewhere. It's amazing how other companies can pull something out the bag when they know they're stealing business from another company! Did exactly that at my school when I first started, the company was taking an age just to quote for a job we needed doing, so I went elsewhere for a quote in the end, even thou the school had a long standing relationship with this company. I got an engineer visit the same day, quote was e-mailed to me the next day, and the work was booked in to be done the week after, I now use that contractor for all my cabling work as they are reliable and do a good job! Other company lost out because they were sloppy. Remember when booking contractors, you are effectively the boss, they are working for you, if you're not happy then you can put your business elsewhere.

Mike.
    Last edited by maniac; 14th August 2008 at 12:07 AM.

Thank Post
    Right... where to start:
    • [Most of] my new servers turned up on the first day of the holidays - 2 days late but not complaining because ALL my summer work revolves around the virtualising of the majority of my existing servers
    • No SAS HBAs and incorrect part numbers on two boxes leaves me 2 processors (out of 4) for each server down and the inability to plug in the hard disks
    • Spin forward a week - still no HBAs, etc. - 40 monitors arrive so I and my apprentice unpack 28 monitors and PCs for a new IT suite, make patch cables and configure all the terminals (admittedly this bit took 5 mins)
    • Apprentice spends the rest of his time doing auditing - I'm a nice boss
    • Still no HBAs, etc. so a bit more tootling shuffling PCs around painters (who have still to put the blinds back up so that I can re-isntall the terminals under the 4(!) windows and there's a room I can't even get back into yet to put the PCs back!
    • Eventually my HBAs turn up - covered in stickers saying that they should be held at the depot until the 5th August despite arriving there on 27th July (fuming? this is a whole other story and this is neither the time or the place)
    • Get one of my new servers into the rack (minus half the processors and RAM - so currently only 8 cores and 16GB RAM ) and start to make some virtual machines
    • Still making virtual machines, with sporadic periods of shouting at the distributor (who will remain nameless for now) who has still not swapped these incorrectly delivered parts

Anyway, the upshot of all this is that I am approx. 3 weeks behind schedule.

My thanks go to Westwood Associates who have kept me very informed about the lack of work done by a certain nameless Sun distributor - not buck passing as you may think... I'm now shouting directly at the distributor too! The story of this shall be told once a resolution has been reached!

Thank Post
    i've got a major problem, no power for the first 3 weeks of the holidays, which means that i've been able to do nothing. The power should be back on next week, i hope, i have 36 PC's to install and get working, and i've only got 2 weeks to do it all as i'm moving house in the last week of the holidays.

Not to mention the laptop trolley i need to get setup in the art room, and so far i don't have the wireless points to set them up, then there's the cabling to the wireless points I have to do.

So much to do and so little time, personally I don't think everything will be done as there is only me to do it all.

Thank Post
    Well thats one more ICT Suite ready to be imaged tomorrow morning..
    • Tomorrow will be spent oving desks in the remaining suites and connecting up the PCs.. should be able to image them on monday...
    • Tuesday and Wednesday will then be spent bug testing, reimaging and keeping an eye on sims ready for...
    • Thursday - make sure all exam results get downloaded and reports can be run off..
    • Thursday 12pm- Go Home..
    • Friday - Get married
    • Saturday - 2 weeks honeymoon in a remote part of wales so no f*cker can bug me about work
    • Come back to hell on september 8th...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Well thats one more ICT Suite ready to be imaged tomorrow morning..
    • Saturday - 2 weeks honeymoon in a remote part of wales so no f*cker can bug me about work
    They will always find a way of contacting you, ever heard of pony express and pigeon post?

Thank Post
    Most of the new classroom machines have been pushed out, gonna get the juniors to do cable ties and good luck to them!

Staff machines ain't even had a chance to look at, although can probably push them out over a few Fridays in September when their cars have magically left the car park by 2pm

...Although the refurb staff machines have been pushed out nicely!

Still got some imaging to do, hopefully it will eliminate lots of problems!

Just don't mention Promissor...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    • Friday - Get married
    Congratulations!

Thank Post
    @Zoom7000 - Cheers

Well got another suite up and running
    benching and Pcs back in another - that just needs re-networking and then imaging
    Final IT suite needs benching and PCs putting back - should get it done by wednesday now

Finally got WDS to multicast - 30 PCs done in an hour

Thank Post
    I'm glad I booked Thursday and Friday of this week off. Weekend in Brid then back to work for a week then a week off

Thank Post
    One caretaker is off on sick and the other is on his holidays so I am the main key holder next week - just as well I have nothing better to do

Up to now things have gone to plan with what I had planned to do, new resource centre and ICT support office for the 2 technicians has been handed back, now need to dust everything down in the server room and put everything back into the ICT Support office.

Technology cluster with just the cabling contractors to finish then I can put the new machines in, likewise in the Training centre and just need decoration completed in the pastoral suite so I can the computers setup back for them.

Had a play with the new SIMS Learning Gateway but a lot of tweaking still needed to get it ready to go for September

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well, it was going well.

Part of my image was Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.0. Installed it, tested it all seems fine.

However, teacher came into today and mentioned that IE crashed when he viewed a PDF file off the internet.

Bit of research, dug up this:

Jay's Journal - Bug in Adobe Reader/Acrobat 9.0 causes crash when the user's Application Data is on a network share.

Unfortunately because of the new-ness of the software we are unable to provide you with a direct solution to this issue as all solutions are experimental at this time."
    Great! I'll now have to create a Prism Package the removes 9.0 and put 8 back on. Tsk. Didn't affect my logon, but does affect Teachers and Students due to folder redirection. Nice one Adobe, taking lessons from Capita?

Pete

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast