+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Alone in school in General; I love being in on my own. I can play my preferred taste in music, get on with things, no ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I love being in on my own.

I can play my preferred taste in music, get on with things, no interruptions, and don't have to speak to anybody.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I do a fair chunk of my work at schools during the night and so I am alone in the schools then. It is nice not having to worry about taking systems down and such.

It also makes it more exciting some nights as when the wind or rain picks up the buildings - being old - creak and moan and click, its like so many scenes from horror movies just before the main character gets jumped by the monster. It makes it much more fun

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    I love being in on my own.

I can play my preferred taste in music, get on with things, no interruptions, and don't have to speak to anybody.
    Playing music just makes it worse for me. I can't concentrate. I made the mistake once of putting the TV on. Then realised I'd spent a whole afternoon watching a Laurel and Hardy film.

I love it, though. I'm not looking forward to everyone coming back.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    Just a reminder of the health and safety act:
    Not wanting to sound condescending ok I do know that you are all careful about what you do so just a reminder (Be Safe) :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alone in school-working-alone.pdf  
    Last edited by bossman; 7th August 2008 at 01:33 PM.

5. Thanks to bossman from:

OverWorked (7th August 2008)

Thank Post
    And yes. Fogging is like ghosting... only more fun and less pain!! (sounds better aswell!)

Thank Post
    I think the staff signing in over the holidays is a very good idea and something I would like to see here. Theres been loads of times when staff just appear on-site as though its a normal day and dont lock up what they unlock (like a normal day)
    Problem is some staff would see it as monitoring there working hours, etc and wouldnt like it, also we have quite a few ways into the building so it would be difficult to enforce.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I love been in the school on my own.. getting on with my jobs with no one to bother me.. its great!

Not been on my own all through the holiday so far though.. Site Manager is in, Few decorators.. and the admin staff have popped in a done what ever it is they enjoy doing.. and the rest of the IT staff come in so we have our feedom!

Thank Post
    I've been spending most of the time in two schools that are combining to form one (but still on two sites). As a result, although there aren't any teachers around (they've actually been banned from the sites until later!) there's usually at least 20 or so people building/decorating/wiring in various places.

The next challenge is to get the fibre-optic cable under the road between the two schools and then implement the layer 3 routed network...

It's a bit odd though, since at the moment all the renovation work is on one site, with the other completely empty.

Thank Post
    I haven't been in school that much since we broke up but when I have been it's never been completely empty. I wouldn't like to be there completely on my own; not for security but because it's lonely!

Thank Post
    Most definitely not alone in our place. We've just moved into a new school, there's loads of pickford bods and lorries transporting all the teachers (and our) junk. The LA are moving all our PCs and old servers, lots of deliveries - 5 new servers today , site staff, my tech, plus contractors finishing off work - inlcuding the dozy pillocks who were disc-cutting the stairwell complete with sparks and smoke and constantly setting the smoke alarms off

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joe90bass View Post
    there's loads of pickford bods and lorries transporting all the teachers (and our) junk.
    So you boxed up all the staff as well? Probably for the best, keeps them out of trouble

We have a flip chart at the front door that staff are meant to sign in and out on. No one specifies you have to write the time though so some just write IN and then OUT which is OK, as long as they remember to mark they are out as well.

Thank Post
    Only me and the caretakers. Mind you, I've just solved the loneliness problem by phoning a new girlfriend and fixing up what should be a pretty hot date on Saturday night!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12