+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What's the oldest bit of kit still in use in your school? in General; I've just found a BNC repeater still connected to the old BNC loop in a room here. Although it wasn't ...

Thank Post

What's the oldest bit of kit still in use in your school?

I've just found a BNC repeater still connected to the old BNC loop in a room here. Although it wasn't actively in use, it was still switched on! Wonder when the last time data flowed through it was?

So just for fun, what old kit do you have floating around in your place, and what's the oldest piece of kit you still have in use?

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Nothing major really, just some floppy drives (does that count?) and serial mice

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Still got some BNC connectors, terminals, co-ax lying at the bottom of a box - not used thank god! Maybe 1 serial mouse still in circulation somewhere in the school. Couple of BBC Micro's hit the skip last Easter (don't know when they where last used). We've also dumped our 700Mhz Celeron Tiny's, 1Ghz AMD Elonex's. I think the oldest bit of kit is now 2Ghz Celeron Elonex's. Though we are doing an inventory check through the whole site this summer (oh joy!) so no doubt something'll turn up in a long forgotten office in some dark corner of the school and it'll turn out that someone is still using a Pentium and Win2k? I'm convinced I excersed the school of Win95/98/2k machines 18 months back...

Thank Post
    Aside from the wetware, probably this:

It appears to be an NTP timeserver (parallel (?) ports on the back are labelled NTP1 and NTP2) - of some description, but google is annoyingly vague about it. We think one of the (many, varied and unlabelled) unused aerials on the school roof is for it, but no idea which one.

I can't find the photos of the ps2 powered parallel port webcam.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's the oldest bit of kit still in use in your school?-dsc00326.jpg   What's the oldest bit of kit still in use in your school?-dsc00327.jpg  

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I've just found a BNC repeater still connected to the old BNC loop in a room here. Although it wasn't actively in use, it was still switched on! Wonder when the last time data flowed through it was?
    we found one of those in an office last summer, still switched on. fans were getting a bit noisy though. don't make em like they used to etc

Thank Post
    Oldest bit of kit in active use every day is an HP Series 3 Vectra with a P75 processor in a socket 5, current use is as a linux print server.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Aside from the wetware, probably this:

It appears to be an NTP timeserver (parallel (?) ports on the back are labelled NTP1 and NTP2) - of some description, but google is annoyingly vague about it. We think one of the (many, varied and unlabelled) unused aerials on the school roof is for it, but no idea which one.

I can't find the photos of the ps2 powered parallel port webcam.
    PS2 Powered webcam, I found one of those in a previous school, it was still new and boxed! Also in the same school found 2 old handheld B/W scanners complete with MCA cards they were new and boxed as well.

By the way, NTP on the back of that radio receiver box probably stands for 'Network Termination Point' as oppose to 'Network Time Protocol' so it's probably some sort of radio link to a remote network of some sort, possibly a weather satellite or simelar; a lot of schools got given weather satellite receiving kit in the 1990's. It could be something else, but this would be my best guess.

mike.
    Last edited by maniac; 6th August 2008 at 03:44 PM.

8. Thanks to maniac from:

pete (6th August 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Wow! Those MCA scanners would have been expensive; I remember buying 1 about 15 years ago (maybe more?). For the time, it was really good and I still like the idea of just being able to "swipe" an image - much more compact than even the smallest flatbed scanner.

Pretty sure we've still got some 2Mbit radio equipment up on the roof but it's not in use.

Our policy is to replace at 3-4 years old for normal hardware and we generally keep to that but I do know that we have some hoarders who have old rubbish hanging around (better than my previous career as a chemistry teacher where the hoarders would take home bottles of chemicals which were no longer allowed in schools ...)

Thank Post
    CRT Monitors probably...we have however got a Siemens Nixdorf computer on the stage that i believe was Win 3.1...don't know if it boots...I don't fancy trying it in case it blows up!

Thank Post
    old tvs without scart
    acorn sitting in my office waiting to be dumped.
    seems to be alot of hoarders in this school!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    By the way, NTP on the back of that radio receiver box probably stands for 'Network Termination Point' as oppose to 'Network Time Protocol' so it's probably some sort of radio link to a remote network of some sort, possibly a weather satellite or simelar; a lot of schools got given weather satellite receiving kit in the 1990's. It could be something else, but this would be my best guess.
    mike.
    Hmm, geography did have a satellite dish at some point. Cheers.

Thank Post
    Our caretaker!

14. Thanks to jcollings from:

cooper (6th August 2008)

Thank Post
    Not quite ICT related - although if its got a plug.....

Our sound and lighting kit in our main hall is pretty old (30 year or thereabouts), this is due to be replaced in the next couple of months through a creative partnership grant however.

Thank Post
    The oldest kit we still have in use are 2 HP4000 laser printers.

Been running for about 8/9 years.

We do have a working Atari ST in the cupboard but we only bring that out on special occasions

Thank Post
    Den, one of our techs is 62.... does that count / beat that if you can

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast