+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, 6ft Snake Breaks Loose - Kent in General; Originally Posted by frances The school I work at has loads of animals. They have lizards and they feed them ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frances View Post
    The school I work at has loads of animals. They have lizards and they feed them on locusts. The locusts and and get out and there have been a few times that I have found a locust jumping about at the back of the PCs in science.

The school used to a have a tantranula, but it died and the caretaker wants to get a corn snake.

Such things would never happen in the commerial world.
    What a school!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frances View Post
    The school I work at has loads of animals. They have lizards and they feed them on locusts. The locusts and and get out and there have been a few times that I have found a locust jumping about at the back of the PCs in science.

The school used to a have a tantranula, but it died and the caretaker wants to get a corn snake.

Such things would never happen in the commerial world.
    Wow, most excitment we had was the snake escaping its tank a couple of times in the junior science lab.

Then again, best one I've had was went to Biology this week and found the tropical fish tank had gone from clear to muddy green, fish still alive, well all bar 1, but I can't believe no-one had been in to look at it and feed and clean the poor fishes.

Never mind I cleaned them a bit, sorted the filters out, changed some water and added water softener stuff which was next to the tank (yes I did read the info on the bottle etc) and removed the dead fish from the top of the tank, so hope they will be better now! I don't think they would have survived until results day next week when the Bio staff will be back in. I think maybe the techy is perhaps ill if they were supposed to be checking in on them or something.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    tropical fish tank had gone from clear to muddy green, fish still alive, well all bar 1, but I can't believe no-one had been in to look at it and feed and clean the poor fishes.
    If they get the right type of fish together with a pump they shouldn't have problems.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    I think the issue was the pumps filters had sooooo much sludge in it that it couldnt filter any more out. As a keeper of a large pond outside I know that my filters do get rather sludged up and need to be well cleaned every so often even though they should to a point look after themselves, but I think that was the problem in this tanks case, filters solid with sludge, pump greened up and tank green.

Someone had opened the blinds on the roof lights which are normally closed in summer to stop direct sun on it, so I think the cleaner must have opened them to save using the lights and not shut them again and hence the state its got in as I've never ever seen it this bad before and the fish are still the same, I think they are neon tetras myself but could be wrong, never bothered asking the Bio department just look at them when coming in the lab for IT issues etc or just to vist them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The sun light did it.

I have a 6ft tank (used to have 2) with tropical fish and have done for around 6 years now. I hardly ever need to clean it (once a year) and have not filters because i mix the right fish. If they get a couple of plec they should keep the algae low. If they air circulation in the tank ans top it up with fresh every now and then everything should be fine. oh also don't put cold water fish in they dirty.

think they are neon tetras myself
    Or it could be a cardinal tetra

Thank Post
    I don't see what all the fuss is about, it's not as if a reticulated python or a green anaconda [yes i have watched austin stevens] have escaped - i mean those ****ers will eat you AND your dog. (unless they've already had their annual meal ofcourse ) The owner would have to keep a couple of cows in his backyard and preferably have a big garden in order to satisfy the appetite of an anaconda.

Are boa's especially good at camouflaging ?, otherwise it seems odd someone hasn't noticed a 6ft snake on their travels. Athough 6ft isn't really 'big' for a big snake, is it ? IT's like what ben nevis is to everest, big for this country but absolutely nothing in the great scheme of things.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12