+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, some more positive things... in General; as we have nothing but strike talk lets focus on few more positive stuff was readying gmb website and reading ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

some more positive things...

as we have nothing but strike talk lets focus on few more positive stuff

was readying gmb website and reading old newsletter in eduation white paper

"Buried away on page 98 is a paragraph
    (8.19) which represents a breakthrough
    in GMB’s campaign to get a national
    framework for school support staff pay:
    “An early challenge will be ensuring fair
    play and rewards for support staff. As
    the school system becomes more
    diverse, with increases in
    self-governing and Trust schools, we
    want to ensure this is supported by a
    more coherent approach to union
    recognition at school level; clearer
    career paths and skills escalators for
    support staff; and a more standardised
    and benchmarked approach to grading,
    job descriptions, contracts, rewards,
    deployment and support staff training
    and development.”

This paragraph comes as a result of
    sustained pressure from GMB, backed
    by the evidence we have been receiving
    from our members about schools’
    unfair pay and employment practices.

The DfES has agreed with GMB to set up
    a working group on support staff
    employment issues. The group will be
    chaired by a senior DfES official and will
    include the Minister. The DfES has also
    invited the local government
    employers to participate.
    The establishment of this group
    represents a major advance in getting
    the Government to accept that it has a
    responsibility to deal with pay and
    conditions if its school reform
    programme, which relies heavily on
    support staff, is to succeed.
    The group will review all the main
    employment issues covering the whole
    range of support staff jobs, and make
    initial recommendations to the Minister
    by 30 April next year. It will work on a
    “without prejudice basis” so that
    nothing is ruled out in advance.
    On the agenda will be all the issues of
    importance to GMB and our members.
    Issues which the local government
    employers have steadfastly refused to
    deal with at a national level, including:
    • Grading
    • Job descriptions
    • Contracts including term-time
    • Pay
    • Deployment
    • Training and development
    • Union recognition at school level

At present, GMB negotiates pay and
    conditions for support staff in most

schools with the local authorities, who
    are the legal employers. The proposals
    in the White Paper to have more schools
    operating independently from local
    authorities, and acting as employers in
    their own right, mean it is even more
    imperative to have a consistent system
    for pay and conditions across all types
    of school. The Minister has recognised
    this, saying in a letter to GMB:
    “I believe it is in the interests of the
    school system to have a cohesive set of
    employment practices as far as possible
    across all of our schools”
    did this get into final education bill tried wading through it but poab missed in the 265 page doc...

anyway latest gmb newsletter had this to say

Since our last issue, GMB has drawn up a Fair pay framework setting out the agenda we are pursuing in the new National Working Group on School Support Staff Employment Issues (see Issue 19).
    The group is due to make recommendations for reform to Jacqui Smith, Schools Minister, in April this year. We will keep you posted on progress.

Fair pay framework for school support staff

1. A national framework of benchmark jobs and associated salary ranges which all schools will adhere to
    2. Special Educational Needs Allowance for all staff who work wholly or mainly with children with special needs based on teachers’ allowances
    3. Full-year pay for all support staff
    4. Standard working week
    5. National guidance on contracts to end inappropriate use of temporary, fixed-term and multiple contracts
    6. A minimum entitlement to paid time off and cover to access training and development opportunities for all support staff
    7. Entitlements for classroom-based staff to:
    •Guaranteed paid time for planning, preparation and assessment
    •Limit on number of sessions deployed with whole classes
    •Limit on number of sessions deployed to do cover supervision
    •Clear job description which distinguishes between cover supervision
    and specified work duties
    on that note just sent email to unison contact (as she will know right channels to go through to request copy of fair pay document on behalf of edugeek.net as major national org representing ict support staff.

Also from gmb site...

NATIONAL AWARDS FOR SCHOOL SUPPORT STAFF

Does someone you work with make an outstanding contribution to school life?

Do you have a special colleague who goes the extra mile in their job?

Now's your chance to get them nominated for one of the 2006 National Awards for School Support Staff.

GMB has no doubt that the dedication and commitment shown by thousands of our members in schools does not always receive the public recognition it deserves. For a number of years the teaching profession has had recognition through the National Teaching Awards, so we're pleased to be working in partnership to support this, the second year of the National Awards for School Support Staff. The inaugural 2005 awards were a great success, and we were particularly pleased that the GMB-sponsored Teaching Assistant of the Year award went to Trudi Williams, a GMB member.

The award categories for this year cover these job groups:

* administrators
    * bursars
    * catering workers
    * cleaners
    * premises workers
    * pupil/mealtime supervisors
    * teaching assistants
    * technicians

For further details of the categories and the judging criteria click here

To download a nomination form click here

To download nomination guidance notes click here

Nomination forms should be returned to: National Awards for School Support Staff, c/o NBA, 140 Wood Street, Rugby, Warwickshire CV21 2SP by 5th June 2006.

We need to make sure we get even more nominations than last year, so spread the word through all your schools, GMB branches and parent networks. We want the awards to achieve the same profile as the National Teaching Awards.

Anyone can suggest someone for nomination but you will need to get the endorsement of the school's head, and a governor to countersign the nomination form - so get talking to your head teachers today!

All nominations will go to one of 7 regional judging panels made up of representatives from GMB and other partner organisations. Each regional panel will put forward a regional winner for each category to the national judging panel, which will also have GMB judges on it. The final three in each category will invited to a high profile awards evening in London on 2nd December 2006. All finalists will receive a trophy and the winner will also receive a cash prize.

If you have any questions or queries please contact helga.pile@gmb.org.uk
    Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: some more positive things...

I nominate every member of EduGeek ...

erm ...

ok ... everyone except that bloke that kept spamming!

;-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

I like the sound of awards, I keep being told I am amazing and I cannot leave, well if they nominated me.....

Thank Post

We have had winners already in 2003 & 2004 in the Teacher awards, it brings a few quid into the school as well......................!

Thank Post

Shame about the Promethean IWBs you end up with, that was the start of a nasty downwards spiral at my last place. You should be given a choice of IWB, or Money, or at least a choice of IWB as we wanted Smart boards.

Thank Post

If i remember correctly that's what started our Promethean purchases to escalate as well.

Thank Post

I wonder how much of there business is started by people winning them at these awards then neighbouring schools / feeder schools see theres and just purchase them as X has them etc.... I suspect its a lot. I know that the local LEA has just stopped supporting Promethean and gone for Smarts now and that upset my old place as they went completly promethean, despite my warnings and LEA IT dept saying they felt that Smarts were better and that they would standardise soon on one. The local area I am in, went Promethean crazy, but a couple went Smart crazy and those who have smart, well seem to have the "Smarter kids" and they are all starting to regrett not having the touch sensitive nature of the smarts.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Sounds like re-modelling re-hashed. We had a delegation including the Welsh Minister for Education saying they were committing big bucks to basically making wages etc fairer. The big obstacle is local control by Head Teachers.

Heads think it unfair they should be tied by rules and that we should trust them to be making fair descisions. Of course that's rediculous and LAs etc are exerting pressure to counter.

We're having a review of school support staff in our LEA due to end next April. I remain cynical. Nothing changed with the re-modelling and I doub't anything else will.

Our most senior and knowledgable union bloke thinks good things will happen tho', and he's employed doing it!

Blurb in latest unison mag if you get it on the awards too.

Wales bought every school Promethean boards 3 years ago!

Thank Post

@Mark, I pitty the poor schools, how may still use them I wonder, or have got both. TBH, just some chart compatabilty would be nice, a lot of courses desipite being sold as IWB courses suited for all makes and models, the resource packs are solely Smart.

We have had 4 courses from 4 different companies and subject areas and they have all been for Smart boards. Infact, one tutor on the course said who owns a promethean board, and those whos hands went up, she said this will be not much use to you as they are out of touch with what you want, there is a board in the corner, i will give you the handouts, go play with it, and then proceeded to teach the rest of the deligate on the smart. We have had one dept say they want shut of the prometheans now one member of staff has come back with Smart resources and seen what can be done on my Laptop with the Smart software on it, we have even got one machine with Smart tools on for them to evaluate and use there notebook files so they can actually see whats going on, and staff have noticed and feel that they are an improvement over prometheans.

Anyway, I am digressing far to much here! Sorry! Its late, and I am sleep deprived according to the time, but my mind is still on GMT not BST.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Sounds like re-modelling re-hashed. We had a delegation including the Welsh Minister for Education saying they were committing big bucks to basically making wages etc fairer. The big obstacle is local control by Head Teachers.

Heads think it unfair they should be tied by rules and that we should trust them to be making fair descisions. Of course that's rediculous and LAs etc are exerting pressure to counter.

We're having a review of school support staff in our LEA due to end next April. I remain cynical. Nothing changed with the re-modelling and I doub't anything else will.

Our most senior and knowledgable union bloke thinks good things will happen tho', and he's employed doing it!

Blurb in latest unison mag if you get it on the awards too.

Wales bought every school Promethean boards 3 years ago!
    nar this is bit better than remodelat lea level (even through that is good as it updates an out dated system) but remodel is ony as good as unions involved...

national working party push ways forward for national pay scheme aka like teachers get i.e everybody grades are same which has lots of advantages.

At moment money it taken out pay pot for teachers pay scheme and we get what is left this is due to they have to pay teachers certain level...

national pay scheme levels this up....

yes schools are stil free to advertise jobs at what ever level they like with in national job roles that unions come up same as teachers jobs...

But schools that do that will not get many if any people applying for the jobs as they are not going to go for jobs which are not inline with avergae job..

Also means grade 8 in leics same as grade 8 in notts so people know where they stand...

This is vry much a positive move forward so do talk to your unions about it.

As said I am looking to get copy of scheme etc onbehalf oo edugeek.net

Russ
    russ

Thank Post

This thread seems to have gone very anti-Promethean! In the interest of the thread title - we have exclusively Promethean boards (apart from one Clevertouch - but we won't go into that here) - we have 22 of them, which in our small school equates to almost every classroom having one. Not really had any problems with them. Staff are well into the software - some more than others obviously. We started with them around 4 years ago. We just wish they'd bring back the black pens

Andy

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

15 Promethean ACTIVBoards, only had one faulty in the past 5 years. Another vote for the black pens too.. orange/grey ones are awful. The last batch of pens they were nearly all damaged/cracked.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by andy
    This thread seems to have gone very anti-Promethean! In the interest of the thread title - we have exclusively Promethean boards (apart from one Clevertouch - but we won't go into that here) - we have 22 of them, which in our small school equates to almost every classroom having one. Not really had any problems with them. Staff are well into the software - some more than others obviously. We started with them around 4 years ago. We just wish they'd bring back the black pens

Andy
    I will support andy on this; my school has a Promethean board/panel in every classroom, more than 40 in total. The boards are fine, and ACTIVstudio2 works well for us. We have had a few PSU failures (£12 each) and the staff have an appetite for pens... dropping them or having them pinched being the two most common excuses.

Talking of which we have just found out the pens are down to £10 each if you buy them in 10s, a couple of years ago they were £40-£50!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

this thread slightly off topic now lets get back to what really about ok what do people think of national pay deal for support staff

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I say it's about time! We should not be made to feel as second-class citizens in schools by the gap in pay and the "status" that seems to be associated with it. We're all the same - Head Teacher, Cleaner, English Teacher, Lab Technician, Catering Assistant, Us lot - we are all members of staff and deserve a better pay deal than the one at present.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast