+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, some more positive things... in General; I agree too, not just for us IT techs but for everyone. When I look around we have TA's teaching ...

Thank Post

Re: some more positive things...

I agree too, not just for us IT techs but for everyone. When I look around we have TA's teaching half clases now, having to prepare lessons and being paid a fraction of a teachers salary. Bursars that are tasked with handling huge budgets, as well as site management and all teh other little thigs they get lumped with, but paid badly. Our last round fo Senior science tech job interviews had to run 3 times with no one appointed until finally someone dropped a CV in after th interviews and was hired. She then got tempted back to her previous job in industry as they raised her wage significantly!
    It will get harder and harder to recruit people in unless they make it worthwhile pay wise or accept sub standard people. Not saying any are here but I was told about some of the people that interviewed for my job (which was advertised for a long time) and we had people that thought as it was a school that they could just amble by without actually knowing much about the position. 3 people didn't like kids, another 3 didn't understand computers beyond a rudimentary single user experience and the others were of varying levels inbetween!
    In IT, if things don't change soon, I think we will end up with a fair few good IT bods either stretched across many schools or with many traniee IT Techs straight from College/on placement course that leave as soon as they have the necessary experience to the bright lights an money.

/Rant off

Tea now after that!

Thank Post

The BSF model proposed by Partnership for Schools still has centralised ICT procurement, offsite server consolidation, and central ICT support (at least at the network manager level) at its core, so you may find that fewer people end up supporting more schools anyway. There are a couple of good BSF related PDF files on the Unison website worth taking the time to read:

http://www.unison.org.uk/file/A2331.pdf

http://www.unison.org.uk/file/A2337.pdf

Depending upon your inclination (optimist - Russ, pessimist me!) this could be a good thing or a bad thing. Time will tell. By the time you factor in the whitepaper as well as BSF, when Trust schools can set their own terms & conditions of employment the only thing that is certain is the uncertainty.

As the Chinese say.... "may you live in interesting times"

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by broc
    Depending upon your inclination (optimist - Russ, pessimist me!) this could be a good thing or a bad thing. Time will tell. By the time you factor in the whitepaper as well as BSF, when Trust schools can set their own terms & conditions of employment the only thing that is certain is the uncertainty.

As the Chinese say.... "may you live in interesting times"

Just talking to someone about this if trust dont honour national pay deals then no one will work for them so it would be a stupid move on their part.

As for bsf that adds a curve ball into the mix but if we have a national pay scale at least then we cant get paid any less than that as unions as part of bsf contract would push as min that they keep wages same as national pay scale..

Russ

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey
    It will get harder and harder to recruit people in unless they make it worthwhile pay wise or accept sub standard people. Not saying any are here but I was told about some of the people that interviewed for my job (which was advertised for a long time) and we had people that thought as it was a school that they could just amble by without actually knowing much about the position. 3 people didn't like kids, another 3 didn't understand computers beyond a rudimentary single user experience and the others were of varying levels inbetween!
    In IT, if things don't change soon, I think we will end up with a fair few good IT bods either stretched across many schools or with many traniee IT Techs straight from College/on placement course that leave as soon as they have the necessary experience to the bright lights an money.

/Rant off

Tea now after that!

This is my position exactly. I personally get in comparison to most IT workers in schools a good wage, but only got it by moving to my third school. Even my current pay will eventually not look great for my age if I stay here for 3 more years. As a result there is too many substandard IT technicians in schools - this school had sack one who not only new nothing but was in far too much contact with students. It was easy to see why when I found out that his wages were £13k - bear in mind this is Havering in Greater London house prices are avererage £220000 for 3 bed.

If pay doesnt rise and IT decisions taken out of teachers hands then all our hard work will be for nothing.

We need to be more aggressive with regards pay rises, tell them to justify why paying low wages is a good long term investment when IT will not be confined to one or two subjects but will feature in every aspect of curriculum, admin and communications infrastructure.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Partnerships for schools needs to rethink the plan LEAs in general are overworked and swamped with requests what will this be like if all of the techies are made redundant?

Wes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

"house of cards" comes to mind.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    This is vry much a positive move forward so do talk to your unions about it.

As said I am looking to get copy of scheme etc onbehalf oo edugeek.net

Russ
    Agreed Russ. It'd be excellent if this got force behind it. Everything looks and sounds right and good, shall look on with interest.

We keep thinking in Powys that some day we'll be paid on a par with IT Support Staff working for the LA. No LA School IT Tech gets more that Desktop Support guys, even tho' we commonly do Network Support, Server Admin, Training staff, Effectively acting as Network Managers [as no PCC IT Tech has that title] having major influence in management of budgets and resources and plans for development.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12