+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, New laptop what a mistake in General; Originally Posted by torledo just wish they'd join the 21st century and offer a glossy screen on any of their ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    just wish they'd join the 21st century and offer a glossy screen on any of their models. The thinkpad keyboard, trackpad and robustness are second to none, but the design, screen and standard battery are poor.
    I'm looking at a glossy screened R61i now. so whats wrong with the design/batteries. top quality IMO.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I'm looking at a glossy screened R61i now. so whats wrong with the design/batteries. top quality IMO.
    My mistake about the glossy screens, last time i checked in the T61 range that were available there were no glossy screens.

The design is horribly dated, other than moving to a widescreen design, nothing has changed design wise for years. But i suppose the dsign is a matter of opinion.

The 4-cell battery is shockingly poor....i've got both the 4-cell and larger 6-cell batteries for the T61, and while the 6-cell does provide adequat battery life but as a result it adds a noticable amount of weight and it juts out of the back about 2 inches.

Overall i think they are overrated, what are they doing that a cheaper laptop with better multimedia capabilities isn't capable of doing ? draftN - well apparently schools and business alike are sticking with a/g, and has anyone actually order either the T61 with the WWAN option? There's a dock for business use, but Dell and HP do docks and port replicators, and even the basic thinkpad docks are quite expensive.

The R61 is more keenly priced, but it is neither the most portable, best designed or feature-laden laptop around at a competitive price. As i said robustness, keyboard and touchpad is all they have over the competition - ....that could be more enough to sway most people, but i'm not convinced.

Thank Post
    As i said robustness, keyboard and touchpad is all they have over the competition - ....that could be more enough to sway most people, but i'm not convinced.
    You forgot about the little light for illuminating the keyboard

I like the look of the ThinkPads... wish I could afford an X300

I've had to use the ThinkPad warranty twice... the first time was a DOA battery. An engineer insisted on coming with a new battery and replacing it himself - now that's servcie for you! The second occasion was a mainboard fault... took the guy ages to change that! Both occasions were next day on site.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    Well a lovely enginner from Dell has been so my shiny XPS M1530 is working like a dream. Now to get XP working on it. Should be fun with no drivers available from dell.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    You forgot about the little light for illuminating the keyboard

I like the look of the ThinkPads... wish I could afford an X300

I've had to use the ThinkPad warranty twice... the first time was a DOA battery. An engineer insisted on coming with a new battery and replacing it himself - now that's servcie for you! The second occasion was a mainboard fault... took the guy ages to change that! Both occasions were next day on site.
    The light i find hilarious....it does do it's job, just about!!!

But when you see a macbook pro and every single key illuminate automagically without having to hunt for a flippin' fn+pg up key sequence in the dark you realise that lenovo/ibm engineers must have come up with the light thing at the end of a particularly long, sleep deprived session. It has to go down, along with the macbook air 1 usb port braindump, as a 'what were they thinking' moment.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    i use mainly latitudes, D630 FTW as the kids may well say. Good spec options, well built and even survive being used as a club against a mugger.

Bought a pile of Vostro 1000s for cheap (~£250 ex software) and they are good value for money but don't expect latest design, they're giant and chunky and have great trackpad buttons that actually click down.

Thank Post

But when you see a macbook pro and every single key illuminate automagically without having to hunt for a flippin' fn+pg up key sequence in the dark you realise that lenovo/ibm engineers must have come up with the light thing at the end of a particularly long, sleep deprived session. It has to go down, along with the macbook air 1 usb port braindump, as a 'what were they thinking' moment.
    The Thinkpads we have cost around £290, the macbook pro's are over £1000 each.
    The thinkpads are robust and represent excellent value for money.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,975 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Thinkpads we have cost around £290, the macbook pro's are over £1000 each.
    The thinkpads are robust and represent excellent value for money.
    I think you need to compare like for like. A 290 quid thinkpad will most certainly not have the same spec as a MBP...

Doing a part by part comparison, the basic MBP available on Insigh has a 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 200GB HDD, 256MB Nvidia 8600GT graphics card, 15.4" WXGA (1440x900) display and a battery that'll last 5 hours.

The comparable Lenovo would be the T61p 6460, which has a 2.4Ghz Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, 15.4" WXGA (1920x1200, which would be ridiculous on a 15" screen), 100GB HDD, Nvidia Quadro FX 570 256MB Graphics card and a battery that lasts only 3.3hours. Oh and it weighs 0.2kg more.

The Apple is 1105.99 and the Lenovo is 1383.99 after a 100 quid rebate.

Which is the better deal?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I think you need to compare like for like. A 290 quid thinkpad will most certainly not have the same spec as a MBP...
    This is exactly the point I was making

personally I'd get this one (£255 ex) and stick ubuntu on it. Its better value than either you mention
    dabs.com - Lenovo R61i Dual Core T2310 1GB 120GB DVD±RW Vista Home Premium (NG1A6UK)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,975 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is exactly the point I was making

personally I'd get this one (£255 ex) and stick ubuntu on it. Its better value than either you mention
    dabs.com - Lenovo R61i Dual Core T2310 1GB 120GB DVD±RW Vista Home Premium (NG1A6UK)
    What point are you making? That you'd rather buy a cheap and cheerful model? The processor in that is slow, the memory low and the graphics quite simply suck. It only has a 5400RPM hard disk too. It also weighs more, and has a screen capable of lower resultion (1280x800). I don't think it is very good value at all!

I'll stick to buying a laptop that I know will last me 3 years. That would barely survive a year without driving me nuts because of its low spec.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    What point are you making?
    That I'd rather buy 4 lenovos at a quarter of the price - and keep 4 more teachers happy than buy one macbook. The thinkpads are reliable, easy to maintain have excellent support and are very robust. Anyway - this was all about glossy screens and keyboard lights.

These computers are not slow (unless you keep vista on them) but they are a higher specification than the majority of the computers we have in our school and my home machine (at 6yrs old functions rather well I hasten to add). Because I am able to maintain computers and keep them running efficiently and with appropriate (rather than unnecessary and bloated software) the school can afford 4 times as many.

Thank Post
    That I'd rather buy 4 lenovos at a quarter of the price - and keep 4 more teachers happy than buy one macbook. The thinkpads are reliable, easy to maintain have excellent support and are very robust. Anyway - this was all about glossy screens and keyboard lights.

These computers are not slow (unless you keep vista on them) but they are a higher specification than the majority of the computers we have in our school and my home machine (at 6yrs old functions rather well I hasten to add). Because I am able to maintain computers and keep them running efficiently and with appropriate (rather than unnecessary and bloated software) the school can afford 4 times as many.
    The R61 is far better value for money than the T61....aside from a few differences in spec that most users won't notice and the 802.11n and WWAN options in the T61 there is little to choose.

But tbh i don't think anyone should be looking at a screen larger than 14.1 for a 'portable' machine unless it's a magnesium alloy lightweight. And they come a premium. 14.1 and under and maximum 1280 x 960 (or is it 1020??) glossy screen is ideal. 1440 x XXX on a T61 with matte screen is little on the small side imo.

I'm sure though you can find equavalent products to the R61 form dell's latitude range and from HP. Build quality probably goes in lenovo's favour but Dell may beat them on support.

And weight is an issue with cut price laptops...2.5-2.6kg is portable, once you start going above that and nudging 3kg you then have to consider how portable they actually are especially if a user has documents, power packs and other accessories to lump around.
    Last edited by torledo; 26th July 2008 at 06:47 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12