+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Well, that's it. Wish me luck! in General; Well, what a last 10 days it's been. Today marks the end of my two years as a peripatetic primary ...

Thank Post

Well, that's it. Wish me luck!

Well, what a last 10 days it's been. Today marks the end of my two years as a peripatetic primary ICT technician - I said my last goodbyes out of 9 this afternoon.

Monday sees me starting a new post as ICT Technician in a local boys secondary school. It's certainly a move forward for me, as it's full-time and the post has responsibility for Website development and the VLE.

So, wish me luck people - it's going to be a big step! I think secondary boys in a city are going to be a bit different to rural primary children! Any tips??

Cheers,
    Chris.

Thank Post
    Good luck mate. If anything like the secondary school i worked in it should be a real eye-opener (i went the other way).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Tip 1: Take a deep breath

Tip 2: smile

Tip 3: A large supply of No-more-nails

Enjoy!

Thank Post
    I've done very similar for 6 years (supported over 50 Primaries over the years) now moving on to Network Manager in one secondary school! Scary. Best of luck. We can learn together

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict View Post
    Well, what a last 10 days it's been. Today marks the end of my two years as a peripatetic primary ICT technician - I said my last goodbyes out of 9 this afternoon.

Monday sees me starting a new post as ICT Technician in a local boys secondary school. It's certainly a move forward for me, as it's full-time and the post has responsibility for Website development and the VLE.

So, wish me luck people - it's going to be a big step! I think secondary boys in a city are going to be a bit different to rural primary children! Any tips??

Cheers,
    Chris.
    I'm sure it will be superb for you. My advice is:
    1. Get involved in whole school life - it makes it much more enjoyable if you have your fingers in as many pies as possible
    2. Remember they are kids - they get it wrong and make mistakes just like adults. Always be ready to forgive and forget.
    3. Try not be seen as the grumpy IT tech who just bans stuff for students and makes their lives dull. Work with the kids if possible and get to know them.
    4. Enjoy - there is nothing like working in a school - sure it's hard at times and we all moan about it (me included) but it really is a unique place to be - cliched but you really are making a difference to peoples lives!

6. 2 Thanks to jcollings:

ninjabeaver (24th July 2008), SteveLaw (23rd July 2008)

Thank Post
    Nicely put jcollings and good to be reminded now and again.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveLaw View Post
    Nicely put jcollings and good to be reminded now and again.
    Cheers Steve.

I guess I would have to add I am very lucky in my school - good pay, good hols, well respected department, mostly friendly staff, lovely location etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    1. Get involved in whole school life - it makes it much more enjoyable if you have your fingers in as many pies as possible
    2. Remember they are kids - they get it wrong and make mistakes just like adults. Always be ready to forgive and forget.
    3. Try not be seen as the grumpy IT tech who just bans stuff for students and makes their lives dull. Work with the kids if possible and get to know them.
    4. Enjoy - there is nothing like working in a school - sure it's hard at times and we all moan about it (me included) but it really is a unique place to be - cliched but you really are making a difference to peoples lives!
    Hear hear! Those are good words of advice. Particularly point 3, as generally the rule applies if you make their life hell, they can do a pretty effective job of making your life hell in reurn! I'm trying to talk the two techs in the school I've just started at round to that way of thinking, it's getting through slowly!

The best tips I've found are get to know the staff yourself, don't rely on what other peoples opinions about a certain person are (I'm sure most people would do this anyway) as schools can be really brutal places for gossip. Have a casual chat with them in the staff room etc and start building a good relationship with key staff members almost immediately. Attend staff meetings even if you don't have to as they are a good opportunity to get to know the staff and what's going on in the school, and above all else have fun as secondry schools can be really fun places to be if you get involved!

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Good Luck!
    I wish I had the courage (and the expertise) to make the same move..maybe one day!

The best advice I was given was to smile at everyone and don't listen to gossip - at least at first - make your own mind up about people

Thank Post
    Smile at everyone is a good tactic yes. As is get on the good side of the office staff, caretaker and even cleaners.

Thank Post
    Take it slow and take an interest in as much going around you as you can fit into your head.

All the very best.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    I think that's more or less what I meant... I just said it in fewer words. Nicely put jcollings. I think one or two techs need this on their wall!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveLaw View Post
    Smile at everyone is a good tactic yes. As is get on the good side of the office staff, caretaker and even cleaners.
    Couldn't agree more, we have a really good relationship with our site staff and do each other favours which makes for an easier life when it comes to lugging stuff around and needing maintenance doing at silly times e.g. weekends.

Thank Post
    When you get your contract, read it and understand your main job roles and responsibilities. Staff and management can put extra work on you, and these can be done within reason, but only within the bounds of your contact. They cant expect you to do the network admin job just because you are a technician.

Get to know the kids .... Work out the ones you need to get in with and the rest will follow suit. It can be VERY helpful to have the rogue's on onside. I regularly see them outside the class, just a simple word to say hi is enough to get some sort of reply. Next time you see them a comment about seeing them kicked out again will give them the chance to talk. I find this interest pays back in the future ... even the staff realise a connection and has helped me being recognised as someone who shows an interest within school.

Prioritise your work ... You cant please everyone all the time. Work to a schedule and try to document problems to fall back on later.

Thank Post
    Body Armor

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast