+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Well, that's it. Wish me luck! in General; Originally Posted by jcollings I'm sure it will be superb for you. My advice is: 1. Get involved in whole ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    I'm sure it will be superb for you. My advice is:
    1. Get involved in whole school life - it makes it much more enjoyable if you have your fingers in as many pies as possible
    2. Remember they are kids - they get it wrong and make mistakes just like adults. Always be ready to forgive and forget.
    3. Try not be seen as the grumpy IT tech who just bans stuff for students and makes their lives dull. Work with the kids if possible and get to know them.
    4. Enjoy - there is nothing like working in a school - sure it's hard at times and we all moan about it (me included) but it really is a unique place to be - cliched but you really are making a difference to peoples lives!
    Fantastic advice, I love working with the kids/staff and really enjoy my work.

1 extra bit of advice would be if your asked if its possible to do something allways answer YES (within reason) and then google howto afterwards. Being known as someone staff and kids can approach will get you a long way

Thank Post
    1 extra bit of advice would be if your asked if its possible to do something allways answer YES (within reason) and then google howto afterwards.
    Be careful with this though. I prefer to say "I don't know" where I don't, but I always add "I will find out". Just make sure you do find out when you have said you will (but also be careful with setting a time frame for when).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Echo everything that Jcollings has said, I find the get involved in things outside of IT is great and really shows the kids that your not just the password resetter! Ive done loads of music and drama this last 18 months so the kids have seen me in the roof of sports halls rigging lighting, projectors, cyc's, set shifting, prop making, audio engineering, assisting with the directing of shows and taking key responsiblity for the technical side in the whole school show to allow the directors to direct rather than panic about the back stage techy stuff which I took over from them.

Also works well that you get to know the teaching staff more and they then work with you more and know how you tick so I find it works well both ways. Hope my new school have a nice drama and music dept that I can get involved in.

Thank Post
    Nothing wrong with a bit of grumpy...

But yes, don't listen to the teachers spouting their opinionated toss about the kids - meet them with an open mind, form your own opinions. We've got so many kids one of the IT Teachers just rants about, yet...they're just kids! She really rants and raves, makes them out to be hell etc. I think I was as bad as them in school, or worse TBH.

Once you get past the "Who the f*ck are you?" barrier, and the initial "I don't know you/you're a teacher so I'll give you hell" hurdle, our kids are nice kids!

Reason with them, don't lay down the law without explaining why. Find out their likes/dislikes/hobbies/musical tastes etc, forge some common ground. If you block a game, explain why or blame it on the LEA filtering (always good). Show them what you do, and how..ours quite enjoy seeing how we do things and asking questions.

Never sink to their level, but never take their attitude or comments to heart - too many staff take it all personally/far too seriously, when it's just kids lashing out or being idiots/having a laugh. Year 11 that left in 06 put it round the school that I crossdress, and wear pink lacy undies..Y11 07 used to call out of their classrooms as I walked past, and when I looked, they'd say "Yer gay." Once they find out how hard it is to push buttons, they tend to relax and not get uptight, which makes them fun to work with.

Make yourself known to the kids - I see all of ours, and make a point of getting the IT staff to introduce me. "This is Mr Rowlands, and he's the man with the answers - if you can't get a PC to work, ask him nicely. He won't bite..he may dribble though."

All of our kids are addresses as "Miss", "matey" or by name, depending on how memory is at the point in time..kids address us by first name. I can't be doing with "Mr"..if they ask if they can call me Karl, i say yes. Also tends to drop some barriers there.

We're very informal, as we've found long ago it's the best way with our kids. It's not been unknown for an entire class to shout "We're going to batter you, you know" or write "Steve and karl are GAY!" on word in 72pt when we ban a game or remote view te screens, only for us to laugh at them and beyondexec them to pampers.com. They love us really.

As has been said - enjoy the experience...there are times you'll want to kill them, and there are times where they will genuinely surprise and impress you. I'm semi-dreading having one with me on work experience..

You might not run across some of the stuff I've described..we're often percieved as a "challenging" school. Bunch of hooey - the kids are ace, but they make you work to earn their respect and trust for a month or 2, as a lot of our new staff will find out.

Once you pass that period, you're "cool", and they change accordingly. After 8/9 years, a lot of the kids know me before they even start from siblings, so I'm cool all the time..

I do believe we've even had several mentions in the leavers books as being "ace" and "cool" and "fun"..and I'm 99% sure I even made "ratemyteacher.com"...

Karl Rowlands Teacher Ratings - MADELEY COURT SCHOOL - TELFORD, ENGLAND - Student Ratings

See? "God." High praise indeed..

EDIT: My gods, there are some AWFUL attempts at staff names on there..heh..and I'm fairly sure we've never had a "Phil MeCrackin" in the staff..
    Last edited by Sirbendy; 23rd July 2008 at 11:45 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the tips and the good wishes.

Even Grommit for your remark about Body Armour. You're not the first

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A couple of years back I was propping up a kebab bar at early o'clock in the morning on my way home when 2 youths in there started to really stare at me. After a minute on said 'You you used to work at <school name> as the network manager didn't you?', so I said yes, I did, and then they went on to say how cool I was
    They'd just finished their A levels and were in year 10 when I started there. It really perked me up it did.

Thank Post
    I see a lot of ex-students all over the place..and we often have kids coming back to visit us several years after leaving for a sit down, a cuppa and a chat.

The pain of 11-16 is you never see them at their best...hormonal teenagers are a PITA. By year 11, just as they're leaving, they start to chill and become much more personable. Then they go!

I want a 6th form. Heh.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    I want a 6th form. Heh.
    My new place has got one

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12