Poll: Are You On Strike This Tuesday?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, so whos striking then in General; That would have proved a pretty big point, unfortunately, I'm not in a union, so am in today, but I ...
    Thank Post

Re: so whos striking then

That would have proved a pretty big point, unfortunately, I'm not in a union, so am in today, but I still support the cause!!!

Chris

Thank Post

I could get used to this strike business - stayed at home, potted up my begonias had a leisurely breakfast and read the paper then watched a couple of good films - great

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    http://www.unison.org.uk/pensions/why.asp

russ
    Clear as mud

who exactly do these changes affect? Everyone from police officer to council tax office workers?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    http://www.unison.org.uk/pensions/why.asp

russ
    Clear as mud

who exactly do these changes affect? Everyone from police officer to council tax office workers?
    Quite the opposite as far as I can tell - these guys are fine. It is people on the local government pension scheme who are affected (apparently the people you mentioned are not). I believe the point is where the gov has improved/protected (not quite sure myself) these people's pension, it has altered ours for the worse. And that is why we are striking.

I'm not 100% sure myself - that is as I understand it.

Andy.

Thank Post

Rule of 85.....Let's take a simple example; If two people identically aged 25-30 start work on the same day in a school, one as network manager and the other as a teacher. They both work 30 years, at which point the teacher can retire without any reduction to his pension, but the network manager has to work another 5 years otherwise his pension takes a major hit.... is that fair? The unions supported by > 1 million workers don't think so.

Don't worry though, because under BSF when all our jobs are outsourced our pensions will be stuffed anyway! TUPE rules say pensions to be 'broadly equivalent'.... with pensions actuaries deciding what is 'broadly equivalent'

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by broc
    Rule of 85.....Let's take a simple example; If two people identically aged 25-30 start work on the same day in a school, one as network manager and the other as a teacher. They both work 30 years, at which point the teacher can retire without any reduction to his pension, but the network manager has to work another 5 years otherwise his pension takes a major hit.... is that fair? The unions supported by > 1 million workers don't think so.

Don't worry though, because under BSF when all our jobs are outsourced our pensions will be stuffed anyway! TUPE rules say pensions to be 'broadly equivalent'.... with pensions actuaries deciding what is 'broadly equivalent'
    thats correct...

as for TUPE that is where unions come into play as unions will get to see all contractors and can preassure for contracts to be changed so everybody you get a fair deal as lea can not go with cheapest option they have to go with best option...

Russ

Thank Post

What I see as wrong, is that ANYONE gets their full pension at 60, when those of us in the real world (well, sort of) will have to work BEYOND 65 to get our basic pension!

OK, I'll grant you that it is hardly fair to change the rules partway through anyones employment.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

as said on many have your say type things on web

ok then fine if that is case do away with pension scheme bring it into line with private sector but also bring pay it into line with private sector...

then fine.....

mind you it will cost more to do that than to grant pension deal as that wont cost tax payer anything if done right where as later will...

your choice mr joe blogs either pay private wages or dont but then you need to offer people reason to stay in public sector...

russ

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C
    What I see as wrong, is that ANYONE gets their full pension at 60, when those of us in the real world (well, sort of) will have to work BEYOND 65 to get our basic pension!

OK, I'll grant you that it is hardly fair to change the rules partway through anyones employment.
    NO! The only people who will get full pension are those who have 40 years service at retirement. They won't get their state pension until 65.

Each year of pensionable service will earn 1/80 salary. 40 years service = 40/80= 50% pension. A teacher retiring early at 60 with 30 years service will get 30/80 of salary, or around 38% NOT the 50% full pension. What makes withdrawing the 85 year rule unfair for the network manager is his 38% will be reduced by 1/3 for retiring early at 60, so he will get approx 25% pension if he retires after 30 years.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by broc

thats correct...

as for TUPE that is where unions come into play as unions will get to see all contractors and can preassure for contracts to be changed so everybody you get a fair deal as lea can not go with cheapest option they have to go with best option...

Russ
    Find someone who was TUPE'd & see if their T&C at TUPE stayed the same.....

A favourite trick...."So you would like a promotion/pay rise/regrade....." Well, we might be able to manage that for you, but you will have to switch to our terms and conditions of employment/pension scheme rather than those you were transferred across from your previous employer......

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123