+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Can you believe this? (uniform standards) in General; Fake tan crack down at Fylde school - Blackpool Today The newspaper is seriously saying that by banning fake tan ...

Thank Post

Post Can you believe this? (uniform standards)

Fake tan crack down at Fylde school - Blackpool Today

The newspaper is seriously saying that by banning fake tan we are forcing the kids to use sun beds! Only a Blackpool paper could come to this conclusion

For those that have not visited Baines before, you would be forgiven for thinking you had enterred Willy Wonker's Chocolate Factory - Oompa Lumpas everywhere!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fake tan should be banned full stop! People should not be orange!!

Thank Post
    Don't forget to vote too

PEO
    Thank Post
    At least there using the common sense and not going on those stupid tanning machines, thus causing the tax payer £100k's to treat skin cancer.

I agree to much and it looks hideous, but I think the school may be going way other the top.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "It might force kids to go on sunbeds and, at the end of the day, if you look nice it helps you to be more bubbly and confident."
    I find that a good breakfast helps.

PEO
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I find that a good breakfast helps.
    are you a crunchy nut?

Thank Post
    So it's preferable girls (and boys for that matter) to paint themselves orange than to be out in the sun....on the rare occasions we actually get meaningful sunshine.

I know which is the PC gone mad story here, and it's not the perfectly sensible comments by the school head.

This whole Elf and Safety culture means that kids don't go out in the sun and partake in sporting and recreational activities because of the sun cancer scare brigade....not dissimilar to the road safety scare protagonists who find it preferable that the law creates this current peer stigma of wearing a ludicrous looking plastic helmet meaning that young people choose not to cycle, and therefore don't cycle and don't get enough exercise and choose to channel their energies into other, less savoury activities.

We rode bikes in the 80's and the practice of riding pillion without helmets was a common site....but we never got seriously hurt. Similarly we would play football for hours when the sun was out....and we never got sunstroke.

The diffrence then was that we didn't need a big brother style govt. telling us what was plainly obvious to us....set up camp in some shade where possible when your in the park and the sun is out, and the only way to be safe cycling is to get some practice in. Wearing a helmet doesn't make you a better cyclist, and sporting a fake tin doesn't bestow one with common sense.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    ....not dissimilar to the road safety scare protagonists who find it preferable that the law creates this current peer stigma of wearing a ludicrous looking plastic helmet meaning that young people choose not to cycle, and therefore don't cycle and don't get enough exercise and choose to channel their energies into other, less savoury activities.

We rode bikes in the 80's and the practice of riding pillion without helmets was a common site....but we never got seriously hurt. Similarly we would play football for hours when the sun was out....and we never got sunstroke.
    Whoa there hoss!!

You don't have to wear a helmet to ride a bike it's a personal choice. I would never go out on my bike without a helmet and there are plenty of helmets now that don't make you look like a closet train spotter.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    ...but we never got seriously hurt.
    Having seen the nasty mess that my cycle helmet ended up in after I somersaulted over the handlebars going down a hill once, I can cheerfully assert that I'm glad it wasn't my head that looked like that.

Does make you think, though - what a better place the world could be if we got all the hot-shot advertising executives who spend their time convincing us that once brand of chocolate bar beats another one and instead put them to work convincing people to ride bikes everywhere, etc.

The other option, of course, is to include breakfall lessons as part of the KS1 curriculum...

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Having seen the nasty mess that my cycle helmet ended up in after I somersaulted over the handlebars going down a hill once, I can cheerfully assert that I'm glad it wasn't my head that looked like that.

Thats fair enough, it does happen. But my mate fell down the biggest nastiest hill you could imagine. His bike was in peices, his collar bone broken and skin missing from all his arms and legs. He got up, picked his bike up and walked the 4miles home more worried about what his mum was going to say about his brand new bike.

Id love to see a kid do that today!

Kids are supposed to get hurt, thats the point in growing up; to learn your own lessons.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 22nd July 2008 at 02:33 PM.

Thank Post
    This topic has just reminded me that bar far the weirdest call we had was when a pupil came up to our office saying that a teacher had sent them to us so she could remove her eye make up....

god knows what staff must think we get up to as to suggest the girl came to see IT to remove make up

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kgcs View Post
    This topic has just reminded me that bar far the weirdest call we had was when a pupil came up to our office saying that a teacher had sent them to us so she could remove her eye make up....

god knows what staff must think we get up to as to suggest the girl came to see IT to remove make up
    You must have some WD40 somewhere in the department or paint thinners or grafeete remover, all 3 of those products will remove makeup perfectly (May also remove skin if used incorrectly )

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Reminds me of this story about a girl and her mother who blames a tanning salon for her getting burnt. Simply because they "allowed" her to go on for longer than she should have done.

The Darlington teenager went to the salon with a schoolfriend and lay on the bed for 12 minutes. She returned later that afternoon thinking the session had not worked and was allowed back on for another nine minutes.

By the end of the day she needed to be treated with antihistamines and painkillers at Darlington Memorial Hospital's accident and emergency unit.

Ms Turner, 34, of Hutton Road, Darlington, said: "Katie has asked me before if she could go on a sunbed, but I have always said no. She's far too young and she has lilywhite skin.

"But kids being kids, she went after school with her friends. The people at the salon didn't ask her age or talk her through what she was meant to do.

"After the first 12 minutes she thought that it hadn't worked so she went back and asked for another nine minutes.

She didn't wear any goggles so she was staring into the bulbs with her eyes open the whole time."
    I agree with the point made about kids being kids and should learn for themselves. But my reason for quoting the above, is that I think people are all to quick and eager to point the finger at and blame anyone other than themselves for anything bad happens.

Thank Post
    Just responding to the kids cycling thing... Have you been on a bike in the places you used to as a child? I did and never EVER again!.. Drivers are 500% worse than they were when I was a kid cycling to school. More of them, more stupid, less patient and completely unrepentant when they run you off the road or pull out in front of you forcing you to scratch the cr*p out of their door/bonnet as you go over it!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    Just responding to the kids cycling thing... Have you been on a bike in the places you used to as a child? I did and never EVER again!.. Drivers are 500% worse than they were when I was a kid cycling to school. More of them, more stupid, less patient and completely unrepentant when they run you off the road or pull out in front of you forcing you to scratch the cr*p out of their door/bonnet as you go over it!

yes the roads and traffic situation is different, but many other aspects of life are little changed than they were 20 or 30 years ago. The sun hasn't gotten any hotter in the last 20 years - well atleast not noticably so in this country -

also other than the traffic situaiton i can't think what else has changed to create this seismic shift in attitudes where children are kept indoors due to disproportiante fears of parents. Other than american-inspired blame culture which forces schools to do risk assessments for taking kids to the shops and stuff like that.

I'm not saying kids should start knocking footballs about on the street like we used to, and i myself was never a big bike rider so i don't advocate dancing with the traffic on a mountain bike.....but there are plenty of things kids can do outdoors in safety that isn't going to do them irreprable damage. A few bumps and scratches and coming home exhausted from a 2 hour game of football is preferable to hanging around outside off-licences which doesn't seem to concern parents as much. And i don't see the roads are sufficiently dangerous to pedestrations to justify this trend taking children everywhere by car.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast