+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Another year goes by in General; So we are nearly at the end of the school year. What did you achieve over the last 6 months? ...
    zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Another year goes by

So we are nearly at the end of the school year. What did you achieve over the last 6 months?

We got Moodle installed, went to leasing our hardware, wrote our own reporting system, replaced our main file server and put some redundancy in place for most other servers.

Next year I hope to ditch Sims completely, set-up an outside terminal server and get managed wireless off the ground.

Anyone else got anything interesting done this year? I'm now fully looking forward to my 6 weeks off!
    Last edited by zag; 17th July 2008 at 03:11 PM.

Thank Post
    Installed some Citrix gear and thin clients hopefully to allow staff to have home access to certain content without having to physically take it off site.

We aren't allowed to lease any hardware under our LA though

No six weeks off for me though i'm afraid

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ittech View Post
    What did you achieve over the last 6 months?
    I've mainly been concentrating on getting our servers to a state where they are all running as virtual machines, with real-time mirroring so if something conks out another machine can take over. On my to do list: a domain controller! An email server! More wiring!

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ittech View Post
    So we are nearly at the end of the school year. What did you achieve over the last 6 months?
    If only I knew! How can I have been so busy every minute of every day and not know what has been achieved? (Apart from my degree course, where I do know what I have achieved.)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I've mainly been concentrating on getting our servers to a state where they are all running as virtual machines, with real-time mirroring so if something conks out another machine can take over. On my to do list: a domain controller! An email server! More wiring!

--
    David Hicks
    Wow thats pretty cool!

I would love to get to the stage where I have fail over machines ready to go if one went down.

Thank Post
    One year has indeed past by, 12 months of being employed in this job for me and the techie!

In the year, we have taken the school from having no real ICT in use at all, other than crappy old laptops running local accounts and a dis-used ICT suite full of WinSuite computers, to having a site-wide wireless network, full roaming profiles for everyone with mandatory for pupils, every teacher having a laptop, every pupil having access to a PC or laptop when needed, installation of servers for profiles, work, applications, SIMS/FMS, printing, WSUS etc., strategic placement of printers to cut costs, input into lesson planning to improve ICT teaching, a projector and SMART board in every class, school ICT policies in place, DNS/DHCP fallover redundancy, anti-virus package site-wide, admin and reception moved location and SIMS/FMS migration from old server to new one, replaced a whole lot of laptops and some PCs in various locations in the school, additional wiring put in, WAPs re-placed to increase coverage...... you get the idea

It's been a busy year!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    One year has indeed past by, 12 months of being employed in this job for me and the techie!

In the year, we have taken the school from having no real ICT in use at all, other than crappy old laptops running local accounts and a dis-used ICT suite full of WinSuite computers, to having a site-wide wireless network, full roaming profiles for everyone with mandatory for pupils, every teacher having a laptop, every pupil having access to a PC or laptop when needed, installation of servers for profiles, work, applications, SIMS/FMS, printing, WSUS etc., strategic placement of printers to cut costs, input into lesson planning to improve ICT teaching, a projector and SMART board in every class, school ICT policies in place, DNS/DHCP fallover redundancy, anti-virus package site-wide, admin and reception moved location and SIMS/FMS migration from old server to new one, replaced a whole lot of laptops and some PCs in various locations in the school, additional wiring put in, WAPs re-placed to increase coverage...... you get the idea

It's been a busy year!
    WOW!
    We are not worthy

Thank Post
    Since I started last September we've rebuilt the entire school (500 desktops), re-imaged 90 teacher laptops, installed 70 additional PCs, moved RM Auditor between servers for load balancing, upgraded our backup solution to a tape autoloader, redesigned our internal intranet, hacked together a customised version of Liberum as our helpdesk, moved from Easymail to Exchange + Outlook 03, fixed DNS issues, moved our library to Eclipse.NET, upgraded key programs like Flash, Shockwave, Java and Reader to the very latest versions, programmed and deployed EduSweep and AUP Informant, installed a Fortinet filter to replace our ageing Smartcache, rolled out gigabit-to-desktop to our admin PCs, packaged over 40 new applications, totally ruined someone's day by effectively blocking all the proxy sites that were running rampant, upgraded our media editing room with Mac Pros (the first Macs in the school), fixed McAfee mirroring issues, installed a whole load of IWBs, hooked up a whole building to the core network, upgraded a couple of our core switches, rewired 3 rooms completely, finally deployed Office 2007 compatibility + Office 03 SP3 site-wide and we took care of a lot of bugs while doing that as well!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post

It's been a busy year!
    < Couldn't find a worship smilie, have this one instead

Thank Post
    To be honest, I cant even remember

My last few months has been taken up rebuilding our apps server after the old one died, which is something Id preferred to have not been doing

Set up a new Mac network (although thats only been in the last week!)

Installed a few new servers, switches etc. Tonnes of software. Apart from that I cant remember

Thank Post
    ........... Survived!!!!

Thank Post
    I'm not saying that we replaced a lot of kit but look at the sculpture we built.

(That was for 1 room)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 1,511 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    I'm not saying that we replaced a lot of kit but look at the sculpture we built.

(That was for 1 room)

How many computers? Desktops or laptops?

Z

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester View Post
    How many computers? Desktops or laptops?

Z
    90 desktops & monitors, HP dc7800 & 19" Monitors

# Intel Core2Duo processor
    # 4.0GB memory (SFF)
    # PCI-E graphics bus
    # 3 Year on site warranty
    # 160gb 7,200 rpm hard disk
    etc, etc.

PC Pro: Product Reviews: HP Compaq dc7800 Small Form Factor
    Last edited by somabc; 24th July 2008 at 12:03 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 1,511 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1 room with 90 computers must be a big one. Out library has 35 and that is a size.

Z

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread