+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, This is nice...how schools should be. in General; We've got (i'd say) 85-90% of the kids out today (trips day). I'd say about the same number of staff. ...
    Thank Post

This is nice...how schools should be.

We've got (i'd say) 85-90% of the kids out today (trips day). I'd say about the same number of staff.

The remainder are playing footie, doing science or art bits, or up here in IT doing their own thing (or coursework, shockingly). We've got internet radio on, and it's lovely...really laid back and pleasant atmosphere.

Plus it's non-uniform day for all...so it really is very peaceful indeed.

Lots of time to do maintenance and just chill a bit. Staff pub crawl later (not going), and then last day of term tomorrow..a nice gradual wind down.

Thank Post
    mmmm!

I got the first bit, pupils and staff out but, the rest is chaos(ish).
    Moving the servers tomorrow (I hope) into their new home and away from my right ear. The fun bit is getting the rack thro' three doors. We have to take the rebate out and remove two of the doors and in the racks new home we have had to remove the frame entirely just to get enough width. The electricians are just putting the ventilation in etc and they are a day late due to the rather solid brick the school is made of.
    So it is definitely not chill time so I envy you
    Cheers

Peter

Thank Post
    If it's any consolation, next Tuesday will be us running around in a transit collecting 50 new PCs we've been given and getting them back here, imaged, in position and ready to roll again..heh.

Should be fun. Then raid the old retired kit for useable parts, and get in the LEA recyc team to remove the carcasses. More machines will be with us as and when they're ready, so thatll go on most of the break I think.

We've also got to work around the LEA virtualisation of the servers etc. Shouldn't be too bad really. I've got my new image out and running as well ready for the new kit - nobody's screaming yet.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    Staff pub crawl later (not going)

Why not!???

Thank Post
    @sirbendy.

Good luck with that then, any way I'll sign off now as I'm going to shut down the network ready for the move.

Hopefully be back up Tuesday.

Cheers

Peter

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flashsnaps View Post
    Why not!???
    Several reasons.. Disability affecting balance and walking ability - doesn't take much drink or distance to have a bad effect.

Alcohol intolerance - I don't drink as a rule..1 glass of wine is usually enough to cause my legs to go numb (which is a nice change from the continual twinges etc they usually provide), my eves to go blurry, and me to either roll off the sofa giggling, or one christmas after 3 glasses, to table dance at the mother in laws, attempt a "full monty", sit on a gay blokes lap and proposition him, and then attempt to french kiss the cat.

It's not often I have to be manacled to the wall until I'm sober..and boy did I feel awful after that..no point in a pub crawl if I have to be on soft drinks all night.

Also, I tend to relax...which means my sense of humour comes out fully, and caution goes hiding..I'd either say a lot of things I'd come to regret, do something I'd regret, or just plain lamp few people for past annoyances..

The biggest reason is..we're working tomorrow...WTF is the point of getting slaughtered, then coming into work half cut/hung over? I see too many staff coming in drunk each year as it is..or if not utterly drunk, certainly in what I would deem "unsafe to drive" condition. If I have even half a glass of wine, I hang up my keys for at least the next 6-7 hours, increasing with alcohol intake...it's just not worth the risk. I can't say with 100% certainty that i'm 100% in control, so I'm not about to get behind the wheel.

Last year it went on, past my flat...some (inter departmental) idiot who shall not be named made the mistake of standing outside my flat bawling for me to, quote " put your "insert unflattering comment here" missus down and come outside, ya big poof".."..

She was *this* close to beating him with something heavy..in the end she just mailled the head with a complaint about being personally insulted and harrased by a drunk staff member, and got him on a disciplinary.

I got my own back by coming in the next day, all bright eyed and bad tempered (seething, in fact), and when the rest of the dept came in groaning and whispering...I fired up the air compressor without filters...and made as much noise as I could with a cheery "GOOD MORNING, YOU BUNCH OF PART TIME DRUNKARDS!!! GOT A HEADACHE, HAVE WE? SERVES YOU RIGHT.."..and by gods, was it satisfying to watch them cringe..

I wouldn't trust myself not to openly state my opinion of people and take a heavy object to a few..I like most people, but I have a rule.."just because I work with you does NOT mean I'd be seen dead in my leisure time with you."

Lets just say I move in..different circles. I like heavy metal, I have my long standing friends I know I can trust implicitly, I have a sense of humour and an openmindedness the staff here can't always get their heads round, and...I prefer to keep my work and personal life separate...I don't really like staff knowing much about me out of here. I just want a quiet life with my family, my missus, my cats and my friends..and I'm happy..
    Last edited by Sirbendy; 17th July 2008 at 05:37 PM.

Thank Post
    I have a sense of humour
    Don't we know it!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    The biggest reason is..we're working tomorrow...WTF is the point of getting slaughtered, then coming into work half cut/hung over? I see too many staff coming in drunk each year as it is..or if not utterly drunk, certainly in what I would deem "unsafe to drive" condition. If I have even half a glass of wine, I hang up my keys for at least the next 6-7 hours, increasing with alcohol intake...it's just not worth the risk. I can't say with 100% certainty that i'm 100% in control, so I'm not about to get behind the wheel.
    lol...theres no pub crawl here but theres always an end of year party the day before the last day of term. So of course everyone gets hammered and comes in the next day.
    So agree with you there, it is stupid going out the day before the last day!
    I will be getting very drunk but also getting the train in on the last day...my sister getting done for drink driving last week has made me a lot more cautious!

I like going out with the staff here, I wouldnt say im great friends with many but its nice to go out with a different group now and again..plus some of the women are incredibly hot

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread