+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
General Chat Thread, What would you buy? in General; ...
  1. #1
    muppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    168
    Thank Post
    31
    Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
    Rep Power
    21

    What would you buy?

    Ok here's the background to the question; I've been allocated up to £250 to purchase a NAS box and £150 to spend on any software I want to help run the network ......don't ask me why they've chosen these 2 things!!! This money is separate to my normal budget and can only be spent on the items it has been allocated for.

    So….What type of NAS do you think I should be looking for? Any prefered brands / models or more importantly ones to avoid like the plague? Obviously at this price I’m going to be limited on size and RAID type.

    Now onto the bit that I hope will draw the most recommendations / comments…..What software would you look at getting if you were allocated £150 to spend on anything YOU wanted? I know I should list what I already have, but I would like to know what people think without influencing them!

    Thanks in advance for your views.

  2. #2
    ICT_GUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Weymouth
    Posts
    2,269
    Thank Post
    683
    Thanked 283 Times in 204 Posts
    Rep Power
    106
    treesize pro
    and Sony Vagas would both make my life a lot easier one is £20 the other??

    £250? I would probably ask for another £70 and buy a brand new HP rack server and populate it with large Sata HD's

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    807
    Thank Post
    29
    Thanked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    Rep Power
    26
    £250 isnt a lot for a NAS box. Suggest that you can get some network monitoring software for free (linux, nagios & cacti installed on an old PC), and can they increase the NAS fund. Failing that we have AD Infinitum which helps create users & their areas which is always useful for the new intake, print monitoring software maybe, but again you could use CUPS and Pykora. Who would have thought that i'd be recommending lots of open source / linux stuff. You can't really get anything fantastic for the cash (and weightings) they've given you

  4. #4
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet View Post
    Ok here's the background to the question; I've been allocated up to £250 to purchase a NAS box and £150 to spend on any software I want to help run the network ......don't ask me why they've chosen these 2 things!!! This money is separate to my normal budget and can only be spent on the items it has been allocated for.

    So….What type of NAS do you think I should be looking for? Any prefered brands / models or more importantly ones to avoid like the plague? Obviously at this price I’m going to be limited on size and RAID type.

    Now onto the bit that I hope will draw the most recommendations / comments…..What software would you look at getting if you were allocated £150 to spend on anything YOU wanted? I know I should list what I already have, but I would like to know what people think without influencing them!

    Thanks in advance for your views.
    So long as your expectations aren't high i'm sure there's a cheap and cheerful, down and dirty NAS box with your name on it.

    I think you have to be realistic, NAS at that price is just a glorified dumping ground for 'archival' of odds and sods - a large capacity usb drive basically with a nod to NAS through support of CIFS/NFS. As a device for storing user home folders, shares and if your feeling really adventurous stuff like vmware images via NFS then you need to up that budget to get something up to the job.

  5. #5

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,683
    Thank Post
    1,268
    Thanked 788 Times in 685 Posts
    Rep Power
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet View Post
    I've been allocated up to £250 to purchase a NAS box and £150 to spend on any software I want to help run the network
    £400? Buy a £99 server from Dell / HP (depending on which is on special offer this month) and a couple of extra SATA drives off eBay.

    --
    David Hicks

  6. #6
    wagnerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    817
    Thank Post
    64
    Thanked 169 Times in 137 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    For software to help manage your network, what about Microsoft System Centre Operations Manager? It's SMS & MOM merged together. See how much it would be if you put it on your MS licencing agreeement (providing you have one).

    As for NAS, the cheapest option is to convert an old server/PC, stick a GB NIC and a TB HDD in it.

    Wow, they really want blood out of a stone from you, don't they

    -Ken

  7. #7
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by wagnerk View Post
    For software to help manage your network, what about Microsoft System Centre Operations Manager? It's SMS & MOM merged together. See how much it would be if you put it on your MS licencing agreeement (providing you have one).

    As for NAS, the cheapest option is to convert an old server/PC, stick a GB NIC and a TB HDD in it.

    Wow, they really want blood out of a stone from you, don't they

    -Ken
    SCCM 2007 (systems center configuration manager) is the replacement product for sms 2005. SCOM is the replacement for MOM and as far as i'm aware it has no sms-esque functionality. Both products should be available via volume licensing.

  8. #8
    muppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    168
    Thank Post
    31
    Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
    Rep Power
    21
    I have a sneaky suspicion that this is just a token gesture to enable the powers at be to say hand on heart that they have allocated money for software and hardware development!!! Especially as I am not allowed to combine the funds to get either a half decent NAS or software solution. To be honest I’ve already bought a HP ML110 G5, 2GB RAM, and 2 x 500GB HDD’s out of my normal budget. Might just charge the invoice against the extra funding and keep thinking about the software….it’s a case of use it or lose it and I’m just not prepared to lose any funding I get.

  9. #9
    wagnerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    817
    Thank Post
    64
    Thanked 169 Times in 137 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    SCCM 2007 (systems center configuration manager) is the replacement product for sms 2005. SCOM is the replacement for MOM and as far as i'm aware it has no sms-esque functionality. Both products should be available via volume licensing.
    D'oh, funny, I saw both the SCCM & SCOM products and never actually registered them as different products

    -Ken

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Why would anyone buy this laptop?
    By sidewinder in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 5th September 2007, 09:47 AM
  2. What to buy?
    By SteveB_NI in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10th May 2007, 11:28 AM
  3. What a buy
    By alonebfg in forum Hardware
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27th April 2007, 12:38 PM
  4. Where to buy from?
    By tscnmuk in forum Windows Vista
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16th February 2007, 10:28 PM
  5. What to buy?
    By wesleyw in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26th January 2007, 11:25 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •